Thread: What are the heaviest .22 slugs available in the UK?

What are the heaviest .22 slugs available in the UK?

As the title says, I would like to know who makes the heaviest .22 slugs (not diabolo pellets) that are available in the UK? Ideally, something around 40grains would be perfect.

Thanks in advance.

Hsing-ee is offline may also be employed in conjunction with a drawn reciprocation dingle arm, to reduce sinusoidal repleneration
    These solid .22 slugs from H&N are 25 grains, a 40 grain bullet would need to be something you might fire in a .22 Hornet centrefire.

https://www.hn-sport.de/en/air-gun-h...t-magnum-II-22

Unless your airgun is doing 80fpe plus then probably 25 grain would be better, if you really need more weight then the more efficient .25 calibre is the way to go with a PCP and use the 36 grain slugs like this

https://www.hn-sport.de/en/air-gun-h...lug-HP-25-36gr

I'm not sure if a copper jacket would work in an airgun but here are some 40 grain bullets made for the .22 Hornet centrefire cartridge. You could experiment with them at the risk of damaging your rifle, the trajectory will be loopy even if they do work.

https://www.sportsmanguncentre.co.uk...0-bullet-heads

Cheapest way to hit something with a 40 grain projectile is a .22 rimfire bolt action, nice secondhand ones available for a couple hundred pounds.
    Last edited by Hsing-ee; 09-01-2022 at 02:15 PM.

Turnup is offline Dialling code‎: ‎01344
    The standard .22 rimfire has a 40 grain bullet and some subsonic rimfires have 60 grain bullets. With care they can be separated from the cartridge. I suspect that they would not work well at 12 fpe.
    True freedom includes the freedom to make mistakes or do foolish things and bear the consequences.
    TANSTAAFL

Eley Wasp Magnum 30gn

Heaviest I have ever come across previously were the Eley Wasp Magnum 30gn FAC rated solid pellet approx 9.5mm long in 5.5mm

Came in tins of 300

Still got a tin in in the cupboard from experimenting with FAC .22 at 30-40ftlb levels before boundaries started getting pushed to today's higher levels

Near Wimbledon, SW London, or Lusaka, Zambia
    Quote Originally Posted by Hsing-ee View Post

Unless your airgun is doing 80fpe plus then probably 25 grain would be better, if you really need more weight then the more efficient .25 calibre is the way to go with a PCP and use the 36 grain slugs like this
    agree. I also find FAC air starts to lose it's advantages over 40 FP (I prefer 20-35 depending on the situation). Shot count, noise, carry over, pass throughs all get significant worse as you go up. Going up to .25 partially addresses these, but once again I found any more than around 50FP was missing the point of air.
    Always looking for any cheap, interesting, knackered "project" guns. Thanks, JB.

Many thanks for the replies so far.

I am looking for lead projectiles, hence the idea of seeing if there were any .22 airgun slugs of a suitable weight. Even the thin jackets on bullets intended for use in the .22 Hornet cartridge are probably too thick for my application.

I do not intend to try to fire these through an airgun.

I have found some 41.4 grain RWS airgun pellets, that look like they would be perfect. So far the only source found is Krale in the Netherlands. Unfortunately they have a 150 Euro minimum order for shipments to the UK.

https://www.krale.shop/eu/airgun-pel...mm-41-4-grain/

A source of these or something similar in the UK would be very helpful.

Pull some rimfire apart I think would be the best option
    Super soaker 3000 (water), nerf fang (foam), noisy cricket (energy), m41a pulse rifle (10x24), Gat gun (.177)

Near Wimbledon, SW London, or Lusaka, Zambia
    Quote Originally Posted by Dogbert View Post
    I do not intend to try to fire these through an airgun.
    this thread suddenly got interesting... do tell
    Always looking for any cheap, interesting, knackered "project" guns. Thanks, JB.

Hsing-ee is offline may also be employed in conjunction with a drawn reciprocation dingle arm, to reduce sinusoidal repleneration
    Quote Originally Posted by Shed tuner View Post
    this thread suddenly got interesting... do tell
    Yes, we're out of places on the Venn diagram NOT an airgun, but not a firearm that could deal with a thin copper jacket ... and has to be extra heavy .. and in .22 ... whatever could you be using to launch these projectiles? Or is it art?