Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Springer accuracy

Springer accuracy

Ive noticed that the first 4-5 shots I have from my .177 TX200 are not as consistent as the ones that follow. Following the first few shots its very accurate with Air arms express 7.87gr pellets
    Can anyone tell me why this happens please?

Quote Originally Posted by spadoch View Post
    Ive noticed that the first 4-5 shots I have from my .177 TX200 are not as consistent as the ones that follow. Following the first few shots its very accurate with Air arms express 7.87gr pellets
    Quite normal with spring guns to vary a little for the first few shots, once settled in the variance is normally better than most PCP guns, Not lately but ive spent hours down the garage shooting through the skan with various guns and pellets,

This is very noticeable with an HW45 pistol.
    My mate and me shoot HFT competitions with HW45 and we both put 4 or 5 pellets into the ground just before starting the course, if we forget there is no chance of hitting the first two or three targets.
    I think it's just the oil and grease inside coming up to temperature.

Depends on the time of year and ambient temperature as well, it does for my 97 at least
    One Hit Wonder

cptman is offline Moody Git.........Apparently?
    Could it just be that it takes a few shots to “get your eye in” I find the same especially when changing from one gun to another, I put it down to different characteristics between rifles.
    Pete.
    why is it there are more horses arses in the world than there are horses?

Talking

With springers it's more to do with warming the shooter up, not the gun.

Shooter warming up usually
    Looking for TO-6 Trigger unit unmessed with or T0-6 kit for 34

Possibly a combination of many factors mentioned above, including ambient temperature and the shooter dialling in. From a technical perspective, I have too little time for a really long reply right now, but the state and amount of lubrication and the size of the piston seal will influence things. For now, if not wanting to delve inside, if every shot has to count, two or three shot safely into the ground / pellet trap should help. Will look in later.
    THE BOINGER BASH AT QUIGLEY HOLLOW. MAKING GREAT MEMORIES SINCE 15th JUNE, 2013.
    NEXT EVENT :- May 4/5, 2024.........BOING!!

I dont think its me because Ive tested it at a very comfortable range and position that I cant really miss from, but Im not ruling anything out, just trying to learn. Thanks for all the replies so far and I think it must be to do with temp as many have said. Thanks again

I dont think its me because Ive tested it at a very comfortable range and position that I cant really miss from, but Im not ruling anything out, just trying to learn. Thanks for all the replies so far and I think it must be to do with temp as many have said. Thanks again
    Is the rifle the same as it left the factory internally, or has it been modified?

Okay, so I guess that when you say the first few shots are not as CONSISTENT, we're not referring to velocity as such, but that the impact points aren't where you would like / expect? Are these first few shots generally striking lower than the subsequent shots? Is this pattern the same at all ambient temperatures, or does it seem more prominent in cooler conditions?
    Our synthetic piston seals expand and contract at greater rates than the steel cylinder. So, in very cold temperatures, the piston seal will be a looser fit in the cylinder. The reduced friction could result in quicker piston acceleration. The temperature produced by the springer firing cycle will warm the seal up and cause it to expand ever so slightly after a few shots. If left in the cold unused for a good few minutes, it may need "warming up" again. If a piston seal "standard fit" is a little too tight, when used in higher ambient temperatures it might become even more evenly tight, creating excess friction and robbing power. And I know of at least one user on here who, when using the rifle in extreme cold, experienced such drastic loss of piston seal contact that the rifle would not fire a pellet! Once the rifle was "re-acclimatised" it was fine, and the piston seal fit must have been on the very loose side.

Hope this might help a little with your concerns. Most serious shooters (if hunting or shooting a comp) will have a few test shots to firstly check all is good and this also has the added bonus of "stimulating" the action.
    THE BOINGER BASH AT QUIGLEY HOLLOW. MAKING GREAT MEMORIES SINCE 15th JUNE, 2013.

Quote Originally Posted by BTDT View Post
    Is the rifle the same as it left the factory internally, or has it been modified?
    Brilliant point. And if the piston seal has been "sized" or if the lubrication pattern isn't ideal, this will obviously adversely affect things.

A tight piston seal can become a bit more flexible after a few shots, to answer your own investigations you'll likely need the use of a chronograph and a lot of patience _ ambient temperatures unlikely to influence that much (in UK) unless high summer (dripping in a tee shirt) / freezing winter ( al la cold snap a few weeks back)
    Looking for TO-6 Trigger unit unmessed with or T0-6 kit for 34

I always shoot a few shots off into the ground before using a springer.
    "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote!" -- Benjamin Franklin

Well I think there are a lot of variables here and when I tried it in doors it was bang on from the start. Could have been hand hold (changing), eyes, wind, unwashed un selected pellets and so on, but I think I will from now on waste a few shots to start if its a hunting trip. I dont compete so no worries there. Thanks for all your replies.