Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Modern BSA Springers

Modern BSA Springers

Something confuses me a tad with modern BSA springers.

For many years I’ve been more inclined to do the Herman and AA springer route.

I’m not against BSA springers and have had a fair few pass through my mitts namely brum and Spanish Lightnings, meteors, SS etc

However is it just me or do others feel the same that they are simply a bit of a meh modern springer mores the pity

I rarely here about fandango tuning on a BSA springer and can only assume they simply don’t respond very well or are just a flawed setup from the off eg internals, trigger, lockup, quality etc

Shame really as BSA IMO make some damn good pcps eg the ultra is legendary but when it comes to springers all I really hear about are the older Brum stuff but certainly not on the same level as the German or AA counterparts.

Aesthetically I do like the look of a few BSA springers and I’ve always found they fit me fairly decent but once the trigger is pulled it quickly gets booted out the door

I have a few of the pre war bsa rifles and like them.
    But my favourite modern bsa springer is the Superstar,I have 3 .
    My .22 superstar can more than keep up with my Tx200 and hw97 if I do my bit correctly.
    Sadly bsa are only interested in making and developing pcp airgun’s.
    Les..

Birmingham made Supersports and Lightnings respond very well to som mild work with an apropriate spring and tight guides.
    A good example with the correct setup can be as accurate as almost anything else.
    Too many airguns!

Quote Originally Posted by les allam View Post
    I have a few of the pre war bsa rifles and like them.
    But my favourite modern bsa springer is the Superstar,I have 3 .
    My .22 superstar can more than keep up with my Tx200 and hw97 if I do my bit correctly.
    Sadly bsa are only interested in making and developing pcp airgun’s.
    Les..
    Thanks for your reply Les

Yes it’s shame they are only really interested in pcps.

Come to think of it must be decades now since any of the big players made any new springers.

Can only think of the Mk4 FWB sport in more recent times.

Quote Originally Posted by evert View Post
    Birmingham made Supersports and Lightnings respond very well to som mild work with an apropriate spring and tight guides.
    A good example with the correct setup can be as accurate as almost anything else.
    Cheers Evert,

Do many go to extremes with the triggers, internals and breech jaws?

Been doing a little research since I created this thread have heard a few that look into modification with the jaws instead of relying on a doorstep tap or small vice

We know that Webley were late to the party with the longbow and tomahawk.
    BSA's invite must have been lost in the post.

As a manufacturer, they don't seem interested in producing a quality springer.
    The old Brummie made ones were easily outclassed by other makes. The later ones are quite shocking
    B.A.S.C. member

Quote Originally Posted by robs5230 View Post

Maybe it’s been locked away in Bowkett’s cupboard

Had a few ie most of the modern bsa springers and some pcps. My two superstars are sfs tweaked and are deffo keepers my lightning xl is a great gun but my later gamo era grt lightning also shoots great except for the crap trigger. Surprisingly my first rifle asi gamo magnum superfirepower had a great trigger.
    Ex- Field airgun fella @ www.hprpc.co.uk

I grew up on BSAs in the 1990s - Meteors, Supersports, Airsporter Mks.1 & RB2, Superstar Mk.1 and Goldstar. I thought they were all fantastic until I got my hands on a TX200, FWB Sport and HW35 The Superstar is the only one that holds its own as a top end rifle.

Crap triggers and buzz like an angry beehive when shot. I've got nothing good to say about any of them sadly.
    And day by day and dauntingly, Our anger does increase. While you ruin us through ignorance,
    How can we keep our peace?

Garry is offline I scrolled the page up too fast and it fell off
    It's a shame the Lightnings don't seem to have a good reputation. Every time I see one, I want to buy it on looks alone. I think the XL SE is the nicest looking break barrel on the market. I could still be tempted if they were made in Brum.

Bsa

The Supersport deluxe and the Superstar were probably the best of the modern...ish BSA"s.
    Rather have my Hatsan 60s and 125 than the newer ones
    Solid ,accurate, reliable and have a hinge bolt and a very good trigger.
    "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote!" -- Benjamin Franklin

Quote Originally Posted by Garry View Post
    It's a shame the Lightnings don't seem to have a good reputation. Every time I see one, I want to buy it on looks alone. I think the XL SE is the nicest looking break barrel on the market. I could still be tempted if they were made in Brum.
    The XL SE along with the Cometa 400 carbine are as near a Fenman, in terms of proportions, handling and mounting, as could be possible.
    Unfortunately all share similar nastiness in factory trim as far as shot cycle goes.

BSA sadly, never quite made the mark
    Trigger and barrel quality are shamefully well below what is currently acceptable.
    B.A.S.C. member

We know that Webley were late to the party with the longbow and tomahawk.

As a manufacturer, they don't seem interested in producing a quality springer.
    The old Brummie made ones were easily outclassed by other makes. The later ones are quite shocking
    Firstly, this
    Looking for TO-6 Trigger unit unmessed with or T0-6 kit for 34

The XL SE along with the Cometa 400 carbine are as near a Fenman, in terms of proportions, handling and mounting, as could be possible.
    Unfortunately all share similar nastiness in factory trim as far as shot cycle goes.

BSA sadly, never quite made the mark
    Trigger and barrel quality are shamefully well below what is currently acceptable.

My Cometa 400 carbine (I am an ex Fenman owner, and sold all my Theoben rifles due to their legendary customer service / attitude, I'm amazed the rifles command such high prices currently - though agree Rapids are a good pcp)

Back to Cometa - is a wonderful rifle but - to get it that way it did take a well known gunsmith two goes at it. The trigger block guide has been cut down with one of Welsh Wily's solutions fitted (not the smith that did the work) though it cost me two new springs during the process
    Would I sell my Cometa - NO - does it shoot lovely - yes, are they accurate in 22 - yes as anything with good pellet match (in this case FTT 5.53)

I did think the Fenman shot slightly better, trigger - edge to Cometa I'd say. Cost - despite all effort on Cometa - about half new including works, from what I've seen Fenmans for sale for s/h

Overall shooting - Cometa - when closing barrel - it's quiet - with the clunk of the Fenman quarry used to disappear. It's not going to be a popular comment - but overall - a well sorted Cometa 400 carbine is a better rifle than a Fenman, and due to lightweight Cometa piston has a fast lock time too.
    Looking for TO-6 Trigger unit unmessed with or T0-6 kit for 34