Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Encyclopaedia of Spring Air Pistols

Encyclopaedia of Spring Air Pistols

Halving now accumulated a number of air pistols and developed an interest in accumulating more, I’m looking for a copy of the Encyclopaedia of Spring Air pistols by John Griffiths. I’d be interested to hear from anyone to has a copy they would be prepared to part with or anyone who knows where an available copy may exist.

micky2 is offline The collector formerly known as micky
    I hope you can get a copy, it is the best book on air pistols by far.

Excellent book and I am surprised it has not been reprinted. I assume you have done all the usual searches?

I doubt if this will help, but many years ago I was looking for a copy of Knibbs first LJ/BSA book. It was available but I thought the price was too high, £100+ if I remember correctly. Then one day, while looking at an auction listing, I saw a copy of the book in amongst a box of old shooting books. I won the lot at a good price, promptly extracted the BSA book and another book and put the other books back in another auction. I got my money back, even taking into account commission. Excellent result. So it pays to be patient and keep your eyes peeled. One day you will succeed.
    Cheers, Phil

As there were only 300 copies of the book privately printed, it's always going to be a scarce book to find.
    The author is a member on this forum, so he will be able to say why it has not been reprinted.

There's one available at this bookshop. Here's the link:-

https://www.anglebooks.com/smith-s-s...th-116553.html

Quote Originally Posted by vintage View Post
    There's one available at this bookshop. Here's the link:-

https://www.anglebooks.com/smith-s-s...th-116553.html
    Oops. Wrong book. But you never know. Might ne worth a look. Lol

It will only add to your woe, but I would say assuming you have an interest in spring air pistols it is by far the most indispensable book in the (very limited) airgun library, bar none, and unless someone is selling up or has two copies the chance of finding a second hand copy is slim.

I would think a second print run would sell out quickly
    Morally flawed

Quote Originally Posted by Troubledshooter View Post
    As there were only 300 copies of the book privately printed, it's always going to be a scarce book to find.
    The author is a member on this forum, so he will be able to say why it has not been reprinted.
    I believe the author has been concentrating on his talented air pistol engineering activities with an update and republication of the book on the backburner.
    As Troubledshooter rightly says, a very rare book which will unfortunately be very extremely difficult to source.
    It must be hard for self-publishing authors to assess the market appetite for republication to a niche market especially when this conflicts with other competing ambitions.

Brian

I’ve tried looking in all the places I could think of and been in touch with John who is also not aware of any available copies at present.
    You’ve all confirmed what I had already concluded - that it is the best book for anyone interested in vintage air pistols and that it is going to be very hard to find.
    I agree that a second print run would probably sell out quickly.

I did not know it was a 'private publication' but somehow guessed it might be. I remember buying my own copy and only regret that I did not buy two, one for my daughter as well.
    Again guessing, but I wonder if the proofs / electronic files etc for the book still exist? If so, I wonder what the economics of another print run would turn out to be? Again guessing but I suspect that a straightforward reprint rather than a revision/update would be quite acceptable to the vast majority of potential buyers.

Cheers, Phil

They do come up on evilbay maybe once a year for £50-£100

I still have it as a ‘saved search’ from when I bought mine a few years back and I always get a notification when a new one comes up. Last one was about 3 months ago so worth setting up a saved search for one.

Cheers,
    Matt

Quote Originally Posted by ptdunk View Post
    They do come up on evilbay maybe once a year for £50-£100

I still have it as a ‘saved search’ from when I bought mine a few years back and I always get a notification when a new one comes up. Last one was about 3 months ago so worth setting up a saved search for one.

Cheers,
    Matt
    Thanks for the suggestion, search now saved. I see the last copy sold for £150 in November.

Quote Originally Posted by DrGunn View Post
    Thanks for the suggestion, search now saved. I see the last copy sold for £150 in November.
    It varies, some go for £50, I think I paid £100 for mine and for me it’s been worth every penny.

Cheers,
    Matt

Quote Originally Posted by ptdunk View Post
    It varies, some go for £50, I think I paid £100 for mine and for me it’s been worth every penny.

Cheers,
    Matt
    Hi Matt,

I agree this unique publication is worth at least £100 of anybody's money even if not an updated edition.

Brian

Quote Originally Posted by Abasmajor View Post
    Hi Matt,

I agree this unique publication is worth at least £100 of anybody's money even if not an updated edition.

Brian
    Totally.

It’d be interesting to learn from the Author how many other spring pistols he’s discovered since the book was published?

Matt