Thread: 6 yard Air Rifle Shooters Wanted.

Spring Powered 6 yard Air Rifle Shooters Wanted.

We need a few more people who can shoot a spring powered air rifle at 6 yards to enter the 6 yard MPL Postal Air Rifle Competition.

Any spring powered .177 air rifle can be used with open sights or peep sights, but telescopic sights are banned.

This should also appeal to bell target shooters who (in many cases) already shoot spring powered air rifle with open or peep sights at 6 yards.

This competition only needs 6 targets to be shot every month between now and the end of June so it is not exactly very time consuming and it is also a good excuse to give those old classic air rifles some exercise.

Most modern air rifles are used with telescopic sights these days - and many new spring powered air rifles don't even have "open" sights fitted, - but some do (and almost all classic air rifles were never made without them) so there are still plenty of different spring powered air rifles to choose from that can be shot with "open" or "peep" sights.

This "old school" competition takes us all back to basic air rifle shooting and will make a refreshing chance to see if any of us can remember how to do it!

Late entries for this competition will always be accepted, but entering now will give you the full 6 months time period to shoot your six sets of six targets (one set of six per month), and entering later has no penalties other than having less time to shoot your six batches of six targets.
    Last edited by zooma; 07-01-2022 at 07:29 PM.
    Rossendale Target Shooting Club. Every Tuesday and Thursday evening 7 - 10pm.

This sounds like fun.

I have a few rifles I could use, what's the deal with recoilless springers. I assume no SSPs?

What targets will be used?
    Old German target rifles and even older BSA's

Quote Originally Posted by Graemevw View Post
    This sounds like fun.

I have a few rifles I could use, what's the deal with recoilless springers. I assume no SSPs?

What targets will be used?
    Hi Graeme,

A quick check of the rules (currently displayed on the BBS) should answer all your questions.

https://www.airgunbbs.com/showthread...petition-Rules

I have been running the MPL series (twice a year) for many years now and the difference between any type of springer or SSP at 6 yards has proven to be minimal to non-existent in the hands of a good shot - and even more the case with an AIR RIFLE.

This competition is for fun and to give anyone that fancies "having a go" the chance to monitor their scores each month and chart their own progress when under competition conditions
    with their own choice (or choices) of MPL legal air rifle.

Traditionally MPL air rifles are fairly simple and not expensive or sophisticated or at the top end of the price scale, and each will provide their own challenges for the owner to squeeze the best out of them (as often as possible) each month.

Most MPL shooters gain a smile when shooting with a basic airgun with open sights (or peep sight) as it makes quite a change from shooting with a scope or a sophisticated PCP match rifle as it brings us all back down to ground level again.

Proper Olde School

Stay safe!

Bob.

Thanks for the link. I'll give this a go. I think I may even already have some targets that came with a gun I bought.
    I shot my first ever paper targets 2 days ago so ill see how I go.
    I'll 're read the link in a bit and work out exactly what I need to do to register etc.
    Old German target rifles and even older BSA's

Two new 6 yard MPL Air Rifle entries received tonight - plenty of room for lots more yet

Bob.

Could be tempted with the 6yard MPL, but only have an SSP, non of my spring powered stuff is eligible.

It’s already zeroed at 6yard though for bell target
    Slightly obsessed with Single Stroke Pneumatics
    Also making stocks over at Daviesbuilt gunstocks.

Quote Originally Posted by tomdavies9 View Post
    Could be tempted with the 6yard MPL, but only have an SSP, non of my spring powered stuff is eligible.

It’s already zeroed at 6yard though for bell target
    No problem - we have 6 yard events for SSP.

MPL Air RIFLES.
    Any UK legal single shot .177 spring powered or Single Stroke Pneumatic air rifle that shots with less than 12ft/lbs power can be used with "open sights" (as supplied by the manufacturer), or with dioptre rear sights and tunnel type front sights (sometimes known as "peep-sights). Telescopic sights or any other form of optical aids (other than prescription type correction lens) are banned.