Thread: Hello from Finland

Hello from Finland

Hello all,

I'm Ari from Finland. Just found this forum and must say I'm excited about how wonderful resource it seems to be. I'm a member at various firearms and target shooting forums, but a place dedicated to the multitude of all aspects of airgunnery is something new.

As supposedly like many, I started my air gun shooter's career as a kid, with a Finnish Valmet Airis. That humble air rifle is probably quite unknown outside Finland, a plain looking piece but very well made, no plastic or pot metal, only birch and steel. It taught me what I still think forms the major knowhow about how to hit what you are aiming at.

After the childhood became a 30-year hiatus in shooting, although I never lost an interest in guns. Around the change of millennium I bit the bullet so to speak, and got my first firearm, a Russian Margolin target pistol in 22lR. It's been downhill ever since. Now I own target pistols for several disciplines, rifles, shotguns, collectible military weapons, black powder stuff... you name it.

Some 15 years back I also begun shooting air pistol. In that front my focus has always been ISSF style 10m, for which I'm lucky to have excellent facilities with the two clubs I'm a member of. My first AP was a Gamo Compact, from which I outgrew in a year. The next was a used Feinwerkbau C25, a CO2-powered true target AP. Would probably still be shooting it, but then the ISSF 10-year gas tank expiration rule for competitions kicked in. Could have updated the C25's tanks, but it was a good excuse to take the next step to a modern PCP pistol. So got myself an Anschütz LP-@ which is basically a Steyr LP-10 in disguise. That's my #1 AP now and probably will be till the end of my days, can't image a need for a better one. OTOH to *need* one is not the same as to *want* one...

And then two years ago came covid, which closed the airgun ranges. I set up a range at the basement, but could not get the air cylinders of the Anschütz filled outside the ranges. Still got the C25 and some CO2, started shooting with them but got nervous: what if I run out of gas and can't get the big bottle filled either. Better get a gun that works with muscle power! On a net forum I saw a nice Feinwerkbau 80, the classic springer, for a decent price. Bought it and found how surprisingly nice it was to shoot even compared with modern APs. Then saw another 80, even nicer. Bought it too, just as a spare you know. But also that little voice started to whisper: hey, collecting old airguns seems cool! In short order, got a FWB 65 (springer that preceeded 80), L100 (SSP) and a Mod 2 (CO2). And a few vintage target rifles too: three Haenels, two FWBs and an Anschütz 250 with a quirky oil-filled recoil damper. Plus half a dozen lesser ones. And to close a circle, a second Airis, which to my surprise had turned highly collectible during these 50 years.

I'm planning to retire after a couple of years. My shooting skills, if there ever was any, are slowly but steadily perishing. Still, collecting vintage airguns and actively shooting them, not that much for scores anymore but just for pure fun, has truly opened me a new source of pleasure. I continue to enjoy firearms as much as ever, but also realize that the time may come when I'll have to part with things that are too dangerous in too old hands. Airguns could then be the backup, means to continue a few years more this wonderful sport of shooting.

Unframed Dave is offline World pork pie juggling champion three years straight
    Welcome Ari.

Dave
    Smell my cheese

welcome to the forum