Thread: What scope mounts are you using on your pre 2006 Webley break barrel rifles?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

What scope mounts are you using on your pre 2006 Webley break barrel rifles?

Asking as I'm looking for scope mounts for a brummie Longbow.

Sportsmatch appear to sit off to one side. I can't cope with mounts on the piss like this.
    BKL need a bit too much of a spread to get them to fit.

Are there any 2pc mounts that sit straight on these dovetails?

Thanks Rob
    B.A.S.C. member

https://www.ant-supplies.uk/scope-ri...ope-rings.html

Ant supplies do these steel ring mounts which have a clamp bolt at either side, so you can get them central. I bought a few to use with my SSPs as they look a bit retro and the low mount is VERY LOW, which I also like no experience with them on pre 2006 Webley break barrels though.
    Slightly obsessed with Single Stroke Pneumatics
    Also making stocks over at Daviesbuilt gunstocks.

Quote Originally Posted by tomdavies9 View Post
    https://www.ant-supplies.uk/scope-ri...ope-rings.html

Ant supplies do these steel ring mounts which have a clamp bolt at either side, so you can get them central. I bought a few to use with my SSPs as they look a bit retro and the low mount is VERY LOW, which I also like no experience with them on pre 2006 Webley break barrels though.
    Thanks Tom.
    I did look at these earlier, but not keen on the double sided clamps on a springer.
    Cheers
    B.A.S.C. member

Quote Originally Posted by robs5230 View Post
    Thanks Tom.
    I did look at these earlier, but not keen on the double sided clamps on a springer.
    Cheers
    No worries mate, I’ve never had any issues, but then I’ve never used them on a recoiling rifle, so it’s hard to back that horse so to speak
    Slightly obsessed with Single Stroke Pneumatics
    Also making stocks over at Daviesbuilt gunstocks.

Dampa-mount on my 2003 Xocet, a known scope killer...

The only 2 piece mounts that I've owned that actually positioned the scope central to the action/bore were Nikko Sterling buddy...
    .22 S410...
    .22 Webley Xocet...
    .22 HW95k...

Quote Originally Posted by TORNADOS7 View Post

The only 2 piece mounts that I've owned that actually positioned the scope central to the action/bore were Nikko Sterling buddy...
    Same on mine. Broke a Weaver rimfire (which is supposed to be airgun recoil proof) on the Xocet before I put the Dampamount on the gun.
    Unfortunately the Dampamount is higher than I like.
    Too many airguns!

Quote Originally Posted by TORNADOS7 View Post

This longbow won't be killing any scopes. Well not when I've done with it.

I have a .22 Stingray carbine, same action as the Xocet. After a careful tune, its possibly the softest shooting springer I've shot.
    50 yard knockdowns, one after the other.
    In fact I prefer the stingray to the longbow

I was mulling over whether to sell the stingray, but to be honest, I'd sell the longbow first
    B.A.S.C. member

I wonder why your choice of 2 piece mounts? I only use these on airguns with stoppinholes. Otherwise I always use 1piece. They seem to stay put better. I use quality brands only Sportsmatch etc for all airguns (without stoppinholes). But nothing specific.
    Mounts that are off; sometimes it helps to turn them around on the rail..
    ATB,
    yana

Quote Originally Posted by hwtyger View Post
    I wonder why your choice of 2 piece mounts? I only use these on airguns with stoppinholes. Otherwise I always use 1piece. They seem to stay put better. I use quality brands only Sportsmatch etc for all airguns (without stoppinholes). But nothing specific.
    Mounts that are off; sometimes it helps to turn them around on the rail..
    Hi
    I tune all my springers, to soften the shot cycle so I never have issues with scope creep.

Secondly, I find 2pc mounts far more flexible in terms of fitting scopes of different length or eye relief. They're also lighter.

I amost exclusively use Sportsmatch on all my HW springers (again 2pc), but for some rifle dovetails, the Sportsmatch clamp jaws are just too thick / blunt, which mean whatever way up the clamp is installed, they just don't fit finely cut dovetails well, and kick out to one side.

I hope that explains
    B.A.S.C. member

Hi Rob,
    no experience with Webley either, but I use Parker Hale (steel) mounts which are on my 80/90s rifles; one of which is BSA Mercury Challenger (with the maxigrip scope rail) and the other is a AA Pro Target which I would have thought is pretty standard??
    Steyr Challenge HFT - HW97K - BSA Mercury Challenger - Anschutz 9015 One - AA Pro Target - AA Pro Elite - ASI Paratrooper (R) - Walther LP500

Cheers Rob
    B.A.S.C. member

Sports match or BKLs on mine, seems to keep everything in place.

Longbow

I use period webley own brand of mounts. Only problem is they are getting a little hard to find. Mach 1.5

Quote Originally Posted by robs5230 View Post
    Asking as I'm looking for scope mounts for a brummie Longbow.

Sportsmatch appear to sit off to one side. I can't cope with mounts on the piss like this.
    BKL need a bit too much of a spread to get them to fit.

Are there any 2pc mounts that sit straight on these dovetails?

Thanks Rob
    I have 30mm medium BKL one piece mount on my .22 Brummie Longbow and they definitely did not need over stretching to fit. On the contrary it was very straight forward to fit. They work perfectly with no creep as of yet (over a thousand shots).
    I find that many do not know how to fit BKL's properly (not assuming you don't). If you know how to fit them it is extremely easy.

I use BKL'S (1 & 2 piece) on all my Webleys, which includes Vulcan, Tracker, Longbow, Xocet & a Stingray I owned until recently. All perform perfectly, all have fitted in straightforward fashion, no creep on any of them (the Tracker is gasrammed & that has not affected the scope rails at all) & I don't use any other type of mount.

The other benefit is the auto centering of the mount & scope, it really does make a difference when zeroing, I find the windage is a lot easier to zero in with the BKL's.

TBH they are a lifesaver for me because Sportsmatch were terrible on the Webleys due to no arrestor holes & they are just not anywhere as capable of applying the level of clamping force the BKL's can.

I know I sound like a BKL salesmen but I really have found them to be excellent & I'm by no means well off financially, so paying the quite high price for BKL's is not something I would do without good reason.

Quote Originally Posted by Rikimaru View Post
    I have 30mm medium BKL one piece mount on my .22 Brummie Longbow and they definitely did not need over stretching to fit. On the contrary it was very straight forward to fit. They work perfectly with no creep as of yet (over a thousand shots).
    I find that many do not know how to fit BKL's properly (not assuming you don't). If you know how to fit them it is extremely easy.

I use BKL'S (1 & 2 piece) on all my Webleys, which includes Vulcan, Tracker, Longbow, Xocet & a Stingray I owned until recently. All perform perfectly, all have fitted in straightforward fashion, no creep on any of them (the Tracker is gasrammed & that has not affected the scope rails at all) & I don't use any other type of mount.

The other benefit is the auto centering of the mount & scope, it really does make a difference when zeroing, I find the windage is a lot easier to zero in with the BKL's.

TBH they are a lifesaver for me because Sportsmatch were terrible on the Webleys due to no arrestor holes & they are just not anywhere as capable of applying the level of clamping force the BKL's can.

I know I sound like a BKL salesmen but I really have found them to be excellent & I'm by no means well off financially, so paying the quite high price for BKL's is not something I would do without good reason.
    I'm a big fan of BKL and have a set of 257 on the Stingray I had from you. They don't budge at all and they're perfectly centred.
    I was just wondering whether there was a more specific "period" mount.
    B.A.S.C. member