Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: What scope mounts are you using on your pre 2006 Webley break barrel rifles?

Dampa-mount on my 2003 Xocet, a known scope killer...

The only 2 piece mounts that I've owned that actually positioned the scope central to the action/bore were Nikko Sterling buddy...
    .22 S410...
    .22 Webley Xocet...
    .22 HW95k...

Quote Originally Posted by TORNADOS7 View Post

The only 2 piece mounts that I've owned that actually positioned the scope central to the action/bore were Nikko Sterling buddy...
    Same on mine. Broke a Weaver rimfire (which is supposed to be airgun recoil proof) on the Xocet before I put the Dampamount on the gun.
    Unfortunately the Dampamount is higher than I like.
    Too many airguns!

Quote Originally Posted by TORNADOS7 View Post

This longbow won't be killing any scopes. Well not when I've done with it.

I have a .22 Stingray carbine, same action as the Xocet. After a careful tune, its possibly the softest shooting springer I've shot.
    50 yard knockdowns, one after the other.
    In fact I prefer the stingray to the longbow

I was mulling over whether to sell the stingray, but to be honest, I'd sell the longbow first
    B.A.S.C. member

For what it’s worth, I have SM 1PMs of various heights on my Xocet, Tommie and Longbow, and SM 2PMs (FWB/omega specific, with the cross pin) on the Omega. And no issues.

Quote Originally Posted by Geezer View Post
    For what it’s worth, I have SM 1PMs of various heights on my Xocet, Tommie and Longbow, and SM 2PMs (FWB/omega specific, with the cross pin) on the Omega. And no issues.
    Oddly enough, I've just mounted a scope in SM single strap mounts and its straight, whereas the TO4C were decidedly on the piss.
    Iffy QC? Who knows
    B.A.S.C. member

Rob was after lower mounts than I have so they are now for sale in the sales section.
    Cheers Rich
    WANTED: Next weeks winning lottery numbers :-)

Quote Originally Posted by robs5230 View Post
    Asking as I'm looking for scope mounts for a brummie Longbow.

Sportsmatch appear to sit off to one side. I can't cope with mounts on the piss like this.
    BKL need a bit too much of a spread to get them to fit.

Are there any 2pc mounts that sit straight on these dovetails?

Thanks Rob
    I have 30mm medium BKL one piece mount on my .22 Brummie Longbow and they definitely did not need over stretching to fit. On the contrary it was very straight forward to fit. They work perfectly with no creep as of yet (over a thousand shots).
    I find that many do not know how to fit BKL's properly (not assuming you don't). If you know how to fit them it is extremely easy.

I use BKL'S (1 & 2 piece) on all my Webleys, which includes Vulcan, Tracker, Longbow, Xocet & a Stingray I owned until recently. All perform perfectly, all have fitted in straightforward fashion, no creep on any of them (the Tracker is gasrammed & that has not affected the scope rails at all) & I don't use any other type of mount.

The other benefit is the auto centering of the mount & scope, it really does make a difference when zeroing, I find the windage is a lot easier to zero in with the BKL's.

TBH they are a lifesaver for me because Sportsmatch were terrible on the Webleys due to no arrestor holes & they are just not anywhere as capable of applying the level of clamping force the BKL's can.

I know I sound like a BKL salesmen but I really have found them to be excellent & I'm by no means well off financially, so paying the quite high price for BKL's is not something I would do without good reason.

Quote Originally Posted by Rikimaru View Post
    I have 30mm medium BKL one piece mount on my .22 Brummie Longbow and they definitely did not need over stretching to fit. On the contrary it was very straight forward to fit. They work perfectly with no creep as of yet (over a thousand shots).
    I find that many do not know how to fit BKL's properly (not assuming you don't). If you know how to fit them it is extremely easy.

I use BKL'S (1 & 2 piece) on all my Webleys, which includes Vulcan, Tracker, Longbow, Xocet & a Stingray I owned until recently. All perform perfectly, all have fitted in straightforward fashion, no creep on any of them (the Tracker is gasrammed & that has not affected the scope rails at all) & I don't use any other type of mount.

The other benefit is the auto centering of the mount & scope, it really does make a difference when zeroing, I find the windage is a lot easier to zero in with the BKL's.

TBH they are a lifesaver for me because Sportsmatch were terrible on the Webleys due to no arrestor holes & they are just not anywhere as capable of applying the level of clamping force the BKL's can.

I know I sound like a BKL salesmen but I really have found them to be excellent & I'm by no means well off financially, so paying the quite high price for BKL's is not something I would do without good reason.
    I'm a big fan of BKL and have a set of 257 on the Stingray I had from you. They don't budge at all and they're perfectly centred.
    I was just wondering whether there was a more specific "period" mount.
    B.A.S.C. member

I wonder why your choice of 2 piece mounts? I only use these on airguns with stoppinholes. Otherwise I always use 1piece. They seem to stay put better. I use quality brands only Sportsmatch etc for all airguns (without stoppinholes). But nothing specific.
    Mounts that are off; sometimes it helps to turn them around on the rail..
    ATB,
    yana

Quote Originally Posted by hwtyger View Post
    I wonder why your choice of 2 piece mounts? I only use these on airguns with stoppinholes. Otherwise I always use 1piece. They seem to stay put better. I use quality brands only Sportsmatch etc for all airguns (without stoppinholes). But nothing specific.
    Mounts that are off; sometimes it helps to turn them around on the rail..
    Hi
    I tune all my springers, to soften the shot cycle so I never have issues with scope creep.

Secondly, I find 2pc mounts far more flexible in terms of fitting scopes of different length or eye relief. They're also lighter.

I amost exclusively use Sportsmatch on all my HW springers (again 2pc), but for some rifle dovetails, the Sportsmatch clamp jaws are just too thick / blunt, which mean whatever way up the clamp is installed, they just don't fit finely cut dovetails well, and kick out to one side.

I hope that explains
    B.A.S.C. member

Hi
    I tune all my springers, to soften the shot cycle so I never have issues with scope creep.

Secondly, I find 2pc mounts far more flexible in terms of fitting scopes of different length or eye relief. They're also lighter.

I amost exclusively use Sportsmatch on all my HW springers (again 2pc), but for some rifle dovetails, the Sportsmatch clamp jaws are just too thick / blunt, which mean whatever way up the clamp is installed, they just don't fit finely cut dovetails well, and kick out to one side.

I hope that explains
    I've never really rated Sportsmatch, I just never found them enough of an improvement over cheaper generic makes to justify the significant price difference. Like you I found the thick/blunt edge to the clamp surface problematic when getting sighted in. TBH I think Sportsmatch are only popular because of certain magazines relentless promotion of them over the years.

I have demonstrated many times to other shooters just how much mounts with the separate clamp can throw out the centre line of the scope & Sportsmatch are particularly prone to this. I prefer a centered scope fitted to a centered mount when zeroing, just makes the job so much easier.

I also fettle my springers to calm down the shot cycle. I try to get them running at around 10.5ft lbs as this usually results in a much nicer shot cycle & gentle recoil.

Out of interest, what did you do to the Stingray to soften it. It was quite a nice rifle to shoot given it was pretty much factory. What are you running it at ft lbs wise.

Quote Originally Posted by Rikimaru View Post
    I've never really rated Sportsmatch, I just never found them enough of an improvement over cheaper generic makes to justify the significant price difference. Like you I found the thick/blunt edge to the clamp surface problematic when getting sighted in. TBH I think Sportsmatch are only popular because of certain magazines relentless promotion of them over the years.

I have demonstrated many times to other shooters just how much mounts with the separate clamp can throw out the centre line of the scope & Sportsmatch are particularly prone to this. I prefer a centered scope fitted to a centered mount when zeroing, just makes the job so much easier.

I also fettle my springers to calm down the shot cycle. I try to get them running at around 10.5ft lbs as this usually results in a much nicer shot cycle & gentle recoil.

Out of interest, what did you do to the Stingray to soften it. It was quite a nice rifle to shoot given it was pretty much factory. What are you running it at ft lbs wise.
    Hi
    Fitted a spring with thinner gauge wire and made a new guide and top hat to suit.
    Running at a gnats over 10 at the minute. I've made another spacer to take it up to 10.5, but its shooting so well, I'm loathe to alter it
    B.A.S.C. member

Scope mounts - there's another choice...

I have an Eclipse and a Raider 2 shot, both of which are getting on a bit and need mounts for a 13mm rail, which Sportsmatch do. The Eclipse has recoil groves in, which Sportsmatch do, or did, a specific mount for. At the moment the Raider is set up for nightvision use with an adjustable one piece mount of unknown make, it had to be adjustable as it is for 11mm rails, so sat a bit off-centre. Since I set it up though, I came across another mount, well, rail, which will open up new possibilities. Eaglevision do Weaver rail adaptors in 11mm and 13mm, in 2 piece and 2 lengths of one-piece. At the moment I've only used them on BSA rifles, but next time I swap scopes around I'll be trying them on one of my Webleys.

This longbow won't be killing any scopes. Well not when I've done with it.

I have a .22 Stingray carbine, same action as the Xocet. After a careful tune, its possibly the softest shooting springer I've shot.
    50 yard knockdowns, one after the other.
    In fact I prefer the stingray to the longbow

I was mulling over whether to sell the stingray, but to be honest, I'd sell the longbow first
    Currently working on my Xocet buddy, biggest difference so far is a reduction in piston weight, standard was 273grms, currently at 255 and a whole heap softer than before, looking to take it to around 240 if I can, also reduced the power to 11.0ft/lbs from 11.4...
    .22 S410...
    .22 Webley Xocet...
    .22 HW95k...

Quote Originally Posted by evert View Post
    Same on mine. Broke a Weaver rimfire (which is supposed to be airgun recoil proof) on the Xocet before I put the Dampamount on the gun.
    Unfortunately the Dampamount is higher than I like.
    Yes, they are a tad high aren't they, not helped by the lower comb height for the irons, I shoot my with the opens these days so makes no difference now, I've got a 95k and an S410 as well so no need for another scoped rifle...
    .22 S410...
    .22 Webley Xocet...
    .22 HW95k...