[QUOTE=CB200;8107322]
Quote Originally Posted by bootneckbob View Post
[I]

That’s an interesting insight, thanks BnB. I’m sure it is mostly about skill and technique etc, providing one has
a decent pistol to start with!
Quote Originally Posted by RobinC View Post
I'm one of the old school who started in 1972 using a FWB 65, and shot nationally and internationally with it.

I have kept all my pistols from that 65, through FAS 604, Walther CP1, Walther LPM-1, finishing with Steyr LP2 compact, and LP50e Compact.

Oh yes, PCP's are so much easier to use, but are the scores any better? Hmmmm, maybe not, good technique is far more important, I shot with Ragnar Skanaker, at the early Intershoot's in Holland, he also used to come over for the bigger BPC shoots at Bisley, and was most entertaining.

His technique was total laid back, he'd do a few shots, wander off and have a chat with the RO, a laugh and a joke, shoot a few more cards, stop and have a cigarette, and continue, and still get top score, good old days, before the jobsworths moved in!

I was also privileged to see Nina Stolyarova shoot 392 ex 400 at London in the 1975 European championships in London.

She swept into the hall, like a superstar, wearing a leopard skin coat that was dragging on the floor, made out of real leopards (no PC then!), dropped the coat on the floor, pulled this scruffy plastic grip FWB 65 out of a case, and then just gave a smiling masterclass! It was a Ladies world record that stood up to the PCP era in the 90's, when a Chinese girl put one point on it!!!

Shoot what you enjoy, you'll love a PCP, but the Gamo will not hold you back for along while!
Have Fun
Robin
Thanks for your reply Robin. It’s wonderful to hear about your colourful experiences with top
Athletes (not withstanding yourself of course) from the past - thank you for sharing. I’m sure other readers are happy to hear more - as I am too!

I’d also be grateful for any advice you could give to a 61 year old newbie! (5 months of 10m air pistol).