Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Gamo Compact experience

Quote Originally Posted by trajectory View Post
    Success depends on many things, equipment is just one component.

Beginners to pistol shooting seem to either love it & dedicate time effort & money to it if they get the bug. If they have the good fortune to have an accurate pistol & get good instruction or coaching progress & results can improve quickly which is both pleasing & encouraging. This is similar to many sports or most learning processes. However as time progresses the rate of improvement usually slows down. Now this is where I think it gets interesting. Some just can't understand why they don't seem to be getting better & interest wanes. Others persevere & gradually improve albeit slowly, but steadily. Others might think its not them & it must be something else that's holding them back. Perhaps if they have bought good entry level equipment & see better shots using something more expensive they can convince themselves that more money = better scores more easily, & so they buy the latest gear thinking that's the answer. There's other reasons why progress might be impeded but I think some may recognise these.

There's psychological barriers too, whether it's pressure in a competition or in practice where you know you can beat a PB score or something like that. Different people might impose their own 'barriers' & there are different ways to try & get around them. Sometimes you can sort it out yourself, sometimes a bit of advice or coaching can help.

Sometimes a break for a few weeks can help.

Sometimes revisiting basic principles is worthwhile.

Some may think that an average of x points per card is ok for them & are content, counting up their points to see what they scored.others look at how many points they lost ie instead of counting a 9 as a 9 they count it as 1 off the possible 10. That's the way to do it there 100 points per card available to everyone & that's how you have to think of it. You are after 10 points per shot.

Good kit is better than most of us can shoot, excellent kit certainly is better than most of us, & so as has been said already the impediment to progress is the shooter.

It's a tricky discipline & that's the appeal in all it's complexities.
    Thank again Trajectory, that was a good read, and a helpful take on a unique approach.

Quote Originally Posted by harvey_s View Post
    The Compact's biggest limiting factor is it's standard trigger.
    This however is really easy to upgrade yourself with just basic hand tools and a little care.

This might help : http://www.airgunbbs.com/showthread.....-Gamo-Compact
    Thanks Harvey, I have modified the tigger, but it’s still way too heavy: as soon as I can, I’m upgrading.

Quote Originally Posted by CB200 View Post
    Thanks Trajectory, I understand what you are saying and it makes sense, although even after fettling the trigger on the Gamo, It’s still too heavy: as soon as I can upgrade, it’s going.

That's fair enough, but what's the Compacts trigger weight at the moment, because if you go into comps it's got to be 500g or more.

The difference in balance & overall weight is pretty different between the Compact & some of the PCP /SSP types. Nothing wrong with that but it can take a little getting used to. The trigger might 'feel' lighter on them too than on the Compact if it breaks cleaner...depends how the Compact is set up.

Either way, take your time choosing what you go for, try a good few types & makes if you can, re visit what you've looked at if you have to, just to be certain. They are not the sort of thing you want to regret buying in a rush.( but it's a good excuse if you are a collector rather than a shooter ).

harvey_s is offline Lost love child of David Niven and Victoria Beckham
    Thanks Harvey, I have modified the tigger, but it’s still way too heavy: as soon as I can, I’m upgrading.
    I find that difficult to believe... It's relatively easy to make the standard trigger too light by using this method.
    But you've obviously made your mind up anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by harvey_s View Post
    I find that difficult to believe... It's relatively easy to make the standard trigger too light by using this method.
    But you've obviously made your mind up anyway.
    Hi Harvey, I’ve polished both sears as best I can, replaced the screw under the trigger with a longer one - which enables me to reduce the sear contact area to a minimum (too little and the pistol goes off if you bang it). Even with those mods, the trigger is measuring 2 1/2lb to 3lb pull weight - too heavy for me!

That's fair enough, but what's the Compacts trigger weight at the moment, because if you go into comps it's got to be 500g or more.

The difference in balance & overall weight is pretty different between the Compact & some of the PCP /SSP types. Nothing wrong with that but it can take a little getting used to. The trigger might 'feel' lighter on them too than on the Compact if it breaks cleaner...depends how the Compact is set up.

Either way, take your time choosing what you go for, try a good few types & makes if you can, re visit what you've looked at if you have to, just to be certain. They are not the sort of thing you want to regret buying in a rush.( but it's a good excuse if you are a collector rather than a shooter ).
    Thank Trajectory, I’ve got the trigger down to about 2 1/2lb - 3lb, but it’s still too heavy. I’m going to need to join a club probably, in order to try some guns and make a more informed decision. I’m not likely to want to collect guns, so it’ll just be the one for me! I appreciate your advice - thanks again.

Thank Trajectory, I’ve got the trigger down to about 2 1/2lb - 3lb, but it’s still too heavy. I’m going to need to join a club probably, in order to try some guns and make a more informed decision. I’m not likely to want to collect guns, so it’ll just be the one for me! I appreciate your advice - thanks again.
    CB200, that's a bit on the high side to contend with, but if it's safe & predictable then you can always bear in mind the centriefire trigger weight is 1000g. I know it's not ideal but in a way it's good training. Its progressive overload, in the same way that you can train to shoot an 80 or even 90 shot course, then when a comp comes round & it's shot over 60, then it's easy! Well that's the theory........

Just editing this with a quick question if that's ok. Any ideas if you are likely to go for CO2, SSP or PCP? Just curious.
    Last edited by trajectory; 17-01-2022 at 09:21 AM.

CB200, that's a bit on the high side to contend with, but if it's safe & predictable then you can always bear in mind the centriefire trigger weight is 1000g. I know it's not ideal but in a way it's good training. Its progressive overload, in the same way that you can train to shoot an 80 or even 90 shot course, then when a comp comes round & it's shot over 60, then it's easy! Well that's the theory........

Just editing this with a quick question if that's ok. Any ideas if you are likely to go for CO2, SSP or PCP? Just curious.
    I find trying to pull the trigger slowly in arc of movement, sometimes becomes a challenge, and I end up squeezing the grip more and throws my shot off - more when I’m tired.

Regarding another pistol, that is a good question! Getting an old FWB C20 co2 or a FWB 103 is attractive to me, but I’m not sure if they are too heavy? I’ll take advice on that from anyone in the know (I’m 61 and been shooting for 4 months so deffo’ a newbie). I also like the idea of a Steyr LP 2 or 10 (maybe the 2 as lighter?) I’ve read that a longer distance between sights is not the best for new shooters. I also quite fancy a Walther LP500. I’m really not sure about servicing, for my area (NW England) for newer guns or spares for older ones (mentioned). Need to join a club and chat to other shooters really. Or post more questions on here!

I find trying to pull the trigger slowly in arc of movement, sometimes becomes a challenge, and I end up squeezing the grip more and throws my shot off - more when IÂ’m tired.

Regarding another pistol, that is a good question! Getting an old FWB C20 co2 or a FWB 103 is attractive to me, but IÂ’m not sure if they are too heavy? IÂ’ll take advice on that from anyone in the know (IÂ’m 61 and been shooting for 4 months so deffoÂ’ a newbie). I also like the idea of a Steyr LP 2 or 10 (maybe the 2 as lighter?) IÂ’ve read that a longer distance between sights is not the best for new shooters. I also quite fancy a Walther LP500. IÂ’m really not sure about servicing, for my area (NW England) for newer guns or spares for older ones (mentioned). Need to join a club and chat to other shooters really. Or post more questions on here!
    Trigger control........its a big part of accurate shooting.

About a purchase, as you will appreciate new stuff is fairly easy to get but if you like the look of something no longer in production trying to get an example in good well cared for condition is usually possible but sometimes you have to wait a long time for one to pop up. The risk is you decide to settle for something that's nearly right. Then it can niggle you. Can't offer any advice other than be patient.

I quite like SSP types but that's just me.

The Original/Diana 6m or 10 are interesting spring powered options, & theres not much wrong with the FWB 65 or 80 but they might not be your cup of tea. However they might offer a half way house between the Compact & what you really want to end up with plus they could re sell well if you buy them at a fair price,? A 65 might be worth a look, & its self contained as opposed to CO2 or Pump/air tank.

Weight can be an issue, but gentle training can help with that. Personally never had an issue with sight radius length, just perhaps that some pistols do feel more muzzle heavier than others. It's possible more perceived than actual & falls into the personal preference area more than anything else.

ATB
    Last edited by trajectory; 18-01-2022 at 07:30 AM. Reason: Removed the word 'not' after 'the word 'might' the 65 is worth a look

I suppose the good side of the secondhand target pistol market is that you will very often find the pistols are very well looked after due to the nature of being indoor target pistols. My Steyr is 5 years old now but still immaculate. My Walther 400 is also in excellent condition too which I bought secondhand and I had a Steyr LP50 before both which was still mint and secondhand. Perhaps I've just been lucky, but I haven't seen any pistols that look like they have been abused in my time shooting 10m at clubs and competitions.
    The Walther 500 is lovely but so expensive, as are most pistols now. I recently inquired at the East Midlands Range (shop) about Walther servicing and they can do them no problem.
    Steyr Challenge HFT - HW97K - BSA Mercury Challenger - Anschutz 9015 One - AA Pro Target - AA Pro Elite - ASI Paratrooper (R) - Walther LP500

Trigger control........its a big part of accurate shooting.

About a purchase, as you will appreciate new stuff is fairly easy to get but if you like the look of something no longer in production trying to get an example in good well cared for condition is usually possible but sometimes you have to wait a long time for one to pop up. The risk is you decide to settle for something that's nearly right. Then it can niggle you. Can't offer any advice other than be patient.

I quite like SSP types but that's just me.

The Original/Diana 6m or 10 are interesting spring powered options, & theres not much wrong with the FWB 65 or 80 but they might not be your cup of tea. However they might offer a half way house between the Compact & what you really want to end up with plus they could re sell well if you buy them at a fair price,? A 65 might not be worth a look, & its self contained as opposed to CO2 or Pump/air tank.

Weight can be an issue, but gentle training can help with that. Personally never had an issue with sight radius length, just perhaps that some pistols do feel more muzzle heavier than others. It's possible more perceived than actual & falls into the personal preference area more than anything else.

ATB
    What you’ve suggested is definitely worthy of some more research on my part, not least to check out the prices of the models you’ve suggested. They could well be an intermediate step to a higher end pistol further down the line. Cheers Trajectory.

What you’ve suggested is definitely worthy of some more research on my part, not least to check out the prices of the models you’ve suggested. They could well be an intermediate step to a higher end pistol further down the line. Cheers Trajectory.
    Edited my previous post, the 65 might well be worth a look if you decide on that route.
    Atb

Quote Originally Posted by bootneckbob View Post
    I suppose the good side of the secondhand target pistol market is that you will very often find the pistols are very well looked after due to the nature of being indoor target pistols. My Steyr is 5 years old now but still immaculate. My Walther 400 is also in excellent condition too which I bought secondhand and I had a Steyr LP50 before both which was still mint and secondhand. Perhaps I've just been lucky, but I haven't seen any pistols that look like they have been abused in my time shooting 10m at clubs and competitions.
    The Walther 500 is lovely but so expensive, as are most pistols now. I recently inquired at the East Midlands Range (shop) about Walther servicing and they can do them no problem.
    Thanks BnB, it is encouraging to hear stuff like that: looking forward to joining a club and seeing some different pistols in the not to distant future.

I shot in to the 530s with my Gamo compact and ended up in the 560s with other pistols before I gave up on 10m pistol (got fed up with having to practice a lot to keep my scores up). I think the improvement between 530 and 560 was more about having gained experience than the compact being incapable of doing better than I did with it.

I moved on from a Compact to a Baikal 46M, but the issue for me with 'muscle powered' pistols was getting tired at 40 to 50 shots into a match, which was distracting and slowed me up. This would then put me under time pressure to complete all the cards in time!

It was a revelation going to co2 and ultimately a PCP pistol with much less effort and disturbance to my shot routine.
    Too many guns, or not enough time?