Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 18

Thread: Cheap ultrasonic cleaner

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    Aylesbury
    Posts
    3,134

    Cheap ultrasonic cleaner

    Thought I'd give the BBS a heads up on this ultrasonic cleaner- https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B08L82MQ3J

    A real step up from the tiny 1 litre unit I had some years back, takes 100 .308s (the most I've had cause to do yet) with absolute ease and it also looks very very similar to the Lyman 2500 which is about 150.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Location
    Watford
    Posts
    7,472
    Quote Originally Posted by zanes View Post
    Thought I'd give the BBS a heads up on this ultrasonic cleaner- https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B08L82MQ3J

    A real step up from the tiny 1 litre unit I had some years back, takes 100 .308s (the most I've had cause to do yet) with absolute ease and it also looks very very similar to the Lyman 2500 which is about 150.
    As it happens I was looking at ultrasonic cleaners recently. I found this for 73:

    https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07MFQ1DXW/

    If you pay a bit more (85) you get it sold by Amazon on Prime (more solid of a guarantee IMHO, so possibly worth the extra).

    You are right though - that one you linked to is identical. Clearly Lyman are re-badging from the same Chinese factory.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    Aylesbury
    Posts
    3,134
    Quote Originally Posted by aris View Post
    As it happens I was looking at ultrasonic cleaners recently. I found this for 73:

    https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07MFQ1DXW/

    If you pay a bit more (85) you get it sold by Amazon on Prime (more solid of a guarantee IMHO, so possibly worth the extra).

    You are right though - that one you linked to is identical. Clearly Lyman are re-badging from the same Chinese factory.
    That was the other style I looked at- as I recall there's a whole range of capacities in that series. The only thing that put me off was some people reporting they were really quite noisy, not ideal for where I use mine.

    Plus the fact work gave us a 50 Amazon voucher which the one I went for nicely used

    Definitely agree that sold by Amazon is the way to go on these sorts of things, a lot to be said for no BS returns.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Ashford
    Posts
    1,202
    The all metal ones are indeed noisy. I have two, the little 1.3L one isn't too bad but it is unpleasant to be near. The larger 22L one is ... loud, I have to shut it in the workshop and do something else.
    Small one has a single transducer, larger one has 8.

    Those small plastic shelled ones are quite good, but I found them a bit hit & miss, some are ultrasonic but some are just too weak and little more than a vibrating tank.

    If you want to use it a lot i'd really suggest one with a drain valve as emptying them is a bit of a pain, especially if you use chemical cleaning solutions in the main tank (as opposed to floating bags/boxes of cleaning liquid in water)

  5. #5
    Turnup's Avatar
    Turnup is offline Dialling code‎: ‎01344
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Crowthorne
    Posts
    5,248
    That looks like a cracker. Shame it has no pouring lip or drain valve 'cos I re-use the cleaning fluid many times but at that price it is a small inconvenience.
    True freedom includes the freedom to make mistakes or do foolish things and bear the consequences.
    TANSTAAFL

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Chelveston, Northants
    Posts
    924
    I exactly the same one and it lasted for about 5 years, perfect for the job.

    Alan

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    Ringwood
    Posts
    4,841
    Quote Originally Posted by 20series View Post
    I exactly the same one and it lasted for about 5 years, perfect for the job.

    Alan
    Which one Alan, zanes or the Amazon metal cased one ?
    Remember, it is the strongest character that God gives the most challenges.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Farnborough
    Posts
    4,294
    Thanks for that. I have been toying with the idea of getting one (mainly for cleaning bicycle parts but also some airgun parts). Time to look at the dimensions to see if it can do the job for me!

    Edit: if it is indeed the same as the Lyman the tank depth is only 80mm which may limit what it can do for my bike parts. Sounds like it will do you reloaders a turn though.
    I will stick to scrubbing with an old toothbrush for now and try making my own ultrasonic cleaner (old ice-cream tub containing parts and cleaning solution left on top of a working dishwasher :-)
    Last edited by averageplinker; 16-01-2022 at 09:09 AM.
    WANTED: Next weeks winning lottery numbers :-)

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    Aylesbury
    Posts
    3,134
    Quote Originally Posted by averageplinker View Post
    Thanks for that. I have been toying with the idea of getting one (mainly for cleaning bicycle parts but also some airgun parts). Time to look at the dimensions to see if it can do the job for me!

    Edit: if it is indeed the same as the Lyman the tank depth is only 80mm which may limit what it can do for my bike parts. Sounds like it will do you reloaders a turn though.
    I will stick to scrubbing with an old toothbrush for now and try making my own ultrasonic cleaner (old ice-cream tub containing parts and cleaning solution left on top of a working dishwasher :-)
    Yep, just stuck a tape measure in mine and the tank is indeed about 8cm deep

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Thornbury
    Posts
    2,729
    This is indeed the same as the Lyman "Turbosonic 2500" which retails for much more! "Turbosonic" indeed...... where on earth do they get those names from? I've nothing to compare it to but mine seems to work as long as I keep the buzzer (it doesn't seem particularly "ultrasonic" to me) going for more than five minutes.
    A useful product is sold in 5 litre containers by Carbusonic Carbusonic Ltd - Ultrasonic Cleaning Products

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Ramsey, Cambs
    Posts
    1,745
    Quote Originally Posted by severnsider View Post

    ....A useful product is sold in 5 litre containers by Carbusonic Carbusonic Ltd - Ultrasonic Cleaning Products
    Yes, I'm currently using some of their brass cleaner, EPB25R, in my U/S cleaner from the 'Bay.. works a treat..but it looks like its discontinued, as a search on their site can't find EPB25R, but its still available on the 'Bay...

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    mansfield
    Posts
    1,527

    cleaner

    in lidl 27 jan

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Farnborough
    Posts
    4,294
    The one originally linked to has dropped to 39.99 delivered next day. I really couldn't resist at that price and will spend the weekend cleaning bike parts (bigger ones I will clean the old fashioned way with elbow grease)
    WANTED: Next weeks winning lottery numbers :-)

  14. #14
    Turnup's Avatar
    Turnup is offline Dialling code‎: ‎01344
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Crowthorne
    Posts
    5,248
    Quote Originally Posted by severnsider View Post
    This is indeed the same as the Lyman "Turbosonic 2500" which retails for much more! "Turbosonic" indeed...... where on earth do they get those names from? I've nothing to compare it to but mine seems to work as long as I keep the buzzer (it doesn't seem particularly "ultrasonic" to me) going for more than five minutes.
    A useful product is sold in 5 litre containers by Carbusonic Carbusonic Ltd - Ultrasonic Cleaning Products

    The buzz sound is because the ultrasonic exitation is pulsed - the ultraconic bit of course you can't hear.
    True freedom includes the freedom to make mistakes or do foolish things and bear the consequences.
    TANSTAAFL

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Thornbury
    Posts
    2,729
    Quote Originally Posted by Turnup View Post
    The buzz sound is because the ultrasonic exitation is pulsed - the ultraconic bit of course you can't hear.
    Ah, I see. Must be very short pulses of ultrasonic then!

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •