Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Why are BSA breakdowns less desired/valued compare to the underlever cousins?

Why are BSA breakdowns less desired/valued compare to the underlever cousins?

Just wondering. Is the barrel lock up weak? Or are there other reasons?
    Cheers Rich
    WANTED: Next weeks winning lottery numbers :-)

My thoughts is because the others were that good

Wow, they are so unpopular that no one is bothered about commenting

Not sure I agree with the premise of your question, Rich! A really good Breakdown with etching is worth an equivalent sum to an underlever I expect, maybe even more because pristine break-barrel BSAs are scarce - many have had a hard life. They don't have lock-up flaws AFAIK, although the fixed-barrel models are inherently more accurate.
    Vintage Airguns Gallery
    ..Above link posted with permission from Gareth W-B
    In British slang an anorak is a person who has a very strong interest in niche subjects.

Personally I like them, as well as all the very similar models e.g pre-war Diana 27 and its clones. Easy to work on and can be very pleasant to shoot.
    Cheers, Phil

I had a go with a very nice breakdown pattern rifle at a Boinger Bash meeting a couple of years ago.
    I definitely wanted and needed one in my collection ldgrin.
    Binner’s sorted me out a nice example at the Kempton arms fair :cool.
    I am surprised they aren’t more popular.
    Les..

I think the reason they are not more popular is that most people don't know how good they are. A lot have had a very hard life, and so are no longer good representatives of their kind.
    I think they are great, and the fact that they often sell for less than I think they are worth is a good thing

The rifling in these guns goes in the opposite direction to most, so the pellet spins the wrong way

Lakey

Quote Originally Posted by Lakey View Post

The rifling in these guns goes in the opposite direction to most, so the pellet spins the wrong way

Lakey
    Now I never realised that. Thank you. Does this mean they are more accurate in the Southern Hemisphere? Which other BSAs do that?
    Cheers, Phil

Because the LJ was hugely historically important and in many ways defined and led to modern air rifle shooting?

Quote Originally Posted by Lakey View Post
    I think the reason they are not more popular is that most people don't know how good they are. A lot have had a very hard life, and so are no longer good representatives of their kind.
    I think they are great, and the fact that they often sell for less than I think they are worth is a good thing

Lakey
    Really? I was looking at the rifling on mine last week and didn't notice anything unusual. I'll have to check now.
    Old German target rifles and even older BSA's

I don't think they are any less desirable and fetch similar money and don't come up so often

I think you could chose the orientation of the rifling to suit the prevailing conditions in your area.......clockwise to counter a right to left wind direction, and counter clock wise to negate a left to right prevailing wind. The wealthier shooters would carry one of each when out hunting......one to shoot on the way out, and the other to shoot on the way back in. Apparently the marginal gains could add a rabbit or two to the bag of even an average shot!

John, you can put that in the second edition of your book for free, on me

Quote Originally Posted by averageplinker View Post
    I think you could chose the orientation of the rifling to suit the prevailing conditions in your area.......clockwise to counter a right to left wind direction, and counter clock wise to negate a left to right prevailing wind. The wealthier shooters would carry one of each when out hunting......one to shoot on the way out, and the other to shoot on the way back in. Apparently the marginal gains could add a rabbit or two to the bag of even an average shot!

John, you can put that in the second edition of your book for free, on me
    On breakdowns?

My breakdown, cadet major, 2 light patterns, standard, and mk1 airsporter all rifle the same direction.
    My mercury s is the only one that differs.

Not checked my 1980s german guns.

Quote Originally Posted by Graemevw View Post
    On breakdowns?
    I am afraid that post you responded to is an example of my awful sense of humour, apologies