Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Why are BSA breakdowns less desired/valued compare to the underlever cousins?

Quote Originally Posted by averageplinker View Post
    I am afraid that post you responded to is an example of my awful sense of humour, apologies
    I almost wrote "I can't tell if your serious or not" but didn't want to offend

Seems deep down, I knew it was a gag, but was treading carefully.

Edit...
    So is the rifling different in breakdowns? Or was it just bsa did it different to most untill some point between the mid 50s and the mid 70s?

All my older bsa seem to spiral counter clockwise except the mercury that spirals clockwise.
    Old German target rifles and even older BSA's

Aside from my bad joke, the responses here seem to provide an answer. Threads about improved model D's, Light patterns etc get lots of interest and responses. My thread about their break barrel equivalents doesn't.

A few have noted that the underlevers are so good and well thought of that the breakdowns seem to be overlooked. Perhaps this is why they are reported to have been less well looked after? Was the same attitude to inherent accuracy present 100 years ago that theses days makes people choose an HW97 over a quality break barrel?

There do appear to be a few breakdown fans on here and one day I may become one if the right rifle pops up at the right price.

Rich.
    WANTED: Next weeks winning lottery numbers :-)

Aside from my bad joke, the responses here seem to provide an answer. Threads about improved model D's, Light patterns etc get lots of interest and responses. My thread about their break barrel equivalents doesn't.

A few have noted that the underlevers are so good and well thought of that the breakdowns seem to be overlooked. Perhaps this is why they are reported to have been less well looked after? Was the same attitude to inherent accuracy present 100 years ago that theses days makes people choose an HW97 over a quality break barrel?

There do appear to be a few breakdown fans on here and one day I may become one if the right rifle pops up at the right price.

Rich.

Id always assumed the general consensus was they were a cheap, junior gun. Light patterns seem to avoid that as they are just smaller versions of the 'proper' guns. Maybe if bsa had made a contemporary full size break barrel (I assume they didn't?) They would be seen differently.

It seems it's just the pre war equivalent of a cadet vs an airsporter.

I wanted a pre war underlever but had never owned a complete working one. I had no interest in breakdowns as I had just paid them no attention.
    It was only last week when I bought 3 underlever that I actually picked up a breakdown. Still only bought it as it just about has etching, but now I own it, I'm glad I bought it.

I've only shot one pellet with it to see if it worked (it does), it will be stripped and inspected soon, then I'll have a proper play with it.
    See how it compares to my cadet major.

Quote Originally Posted by Graemevw View Post
    Id always assumed the general consensus was they were a cheap, junior gun. Light patterns seem to avoid that as they are just smaller versions of the 'proper' guns. Maybe if bsa had made a contemporary full size break barrel (I assume they didn't?) They would be seen differently.

It seems it's just the pre war equivalent of a cadet vs an airsporter.

I wanted a pre war underlever but had never owned a complete working one. I had no interest in breakdowns as I had just paid them no attention.
    It was only last week when I bought 3 underlever that I actually picked up a breakdown. Still only bought it as it just about has etching, but now I own it, I'm glad I bought it.

I've only shot one pellet with it to see if it worked (it does), it will be stripped and inspected soon, then I'll have a proper play with it.
    See how it compares to my cadet major.
    Those were some good buys, I am a smidge jealous

BTW, never worry about hurting my feelings

Those were some good buys, I am a smidge jealous

BTW, never worry about hurting my feelings
    They were, but all have issues. None are fine examples either, but still, they were cheap enough for what they are I guess.
    I'm looking forward to working on them but they have to wait their turn.
    Keeping an eye out for a full size .177 now. Nearly got one yesterday but price got a little high for something I was buying blind.

I think you could chose the orientation of the rifling to suit the prevailing conditions in your area.......clockwise to counter a right to left wind direction, and counter clock wise to negate a left to right prevailing wind. The wealthier shooters would carry one of each when out hunting......one to shoot on the way out, and the other to shoot on the way back in. Apparently the marginal gains could add a rabbit or two to the bag of even an average shot!

John, you can put that in the second edition of your book for free, on me
    Less wealthy shooters could of course achieve the same result with just one gun, by the simple expedient of shooting it backwards when the wind was from the wrong direction

(Please don’t do this. There could possibly be a safety issue )
    Morally flawed

I think the breakdowns were about half the price of the underlevers back in the 30’s. They are very neat rifles and easy to shoot well. But the aren’t as stylish, well made or powerful as the underlevers, so tend to be a little less desirable for the shooting type collector. Would imagine a minty one would be worth a fair sum of money these days.
    "helplessly they stare at his tracks......."

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Cornelius View Post
    Less wealthy shooters could of course achieve the same result with just one gun, by the simple expedient of shooting it backwards when the wind was from the wrong direction
    Ha ha!
    Vintage Airguns Gallery
    ..Above link posted with permission from Gareth W-B
    In British slang an anorak is a person who has a very strong interest in niche subjects.

I think you could chose the orientation of the rifling to suit the prevailing conditions in your area.......clockwise to counter a right to left wind direction, and counter clock wise to negate a left to right prevailing wind. The wealthier shooters would carry one of each when out hunting......one to shoot on the way out, and the other to shoot on the way back in. Apparently the marginal gains could add a rabbit or two to the bag of even an average shot!

John, you can put that in the second edition of your book for free, on me
    LOL
    Currently looking for Baikal Makarov pistols with the following prefixes to the serial number: 98, T01, T09, T21, T22
    Prefer boxed or cased but will consider loose examples too.

You guys make it too complicated. Simple answer is the loading tap is just cool! Love the machining.

CLOGGER is offline Ex proud Yorkshireman, Now soft southern shandy drinker
    Quote Originally Posted by Lakey View Post
    The rifling in these guns goes in the opposite direction to most, so the pellet spins the wrong way Lakey
    I can't check the rifling in mine - it's a smoothbore

I certainly enjoy using mine, when I can find it! (I have been know to leave it behind at Mick's Quigley Hollow after a Boinger Bash)
    Not sure that I can see or agree that they were made in any way inferior to their undercover brothers.

All the best, Clogger

CLOGGER is offline Ex proud Yorkshireman, Now soft southern shandy drinker
    That was meant to be "underlever" by the way! Damned predictive text

Clogger

Under cover

The (curse of) prediction I think is right in this case, as I had several questions through the years on how to arm the Airsporters. It was a purposeful design, that hidden handle, and perhaps the major factor in why they are so liked for their clean looks.