Thread: Strange Wasp looka like pellets

Strange Wasp looka like pellets

While clearing my garage loft out the other week, to move to our new house, I found a box with about 20 black plastic round pellet tubs with nice push on lids that I had forgotten about.

The pellets inside them look very much like .177 wasps with the usual head impression that they have.
    No label or markings on the plastic tubs or the box that they came in.

I thought that they were were just cheapo pellets, and tipped a few tubs out into old normal tins a few years ago, as the tubs are brilliant for keeping my JSB competition pellets in securely.
    I've had these for at least 25 years and have no idea what they are. Does anyone remember anything like these?
    BASC

amazing what you find when your doing a tidy up

Quote Originally Posted by rapidresponse1 View Post
    amazing what you find when your doing a tidy up
    I dont recommend moving house if you collect (or hoard).
    I was pulling old BSA's out of cupboards and lofts and under beds and my Mrs was not impressed.

Even less so when she asked how many guns I had and I couldn't answer.... She said you must know!!! "Nope, are we counting complete guns or parts of guns or stripped guns??" That didnt go down well either.

She asked how much my two HFT steyr LG110's cost, as she overheard me say that they are 2.5K new now, she now thinks I have spent £5K on two guns.
    BASC

The look like Eley Wasp?#....Then

In my early days of airgunning there were maybe 4-5 sorts available locally (between the Gunshop and an Ironmongers)

The best were Eley Wasp

BSA Pylarm pellets were near enough identical but the skirts on them were more round whilst the Eley were tri-lobed around the skirt

There was then Webley and Marksman about the same although the Marksman looked a bit longer and they were a bit cheaper then the cheapest of all:

Bulldog - quite oily and lots of misshapen or bits of lead "swarf" in with these but they were cheap by comparison.

So my vote would be for BSA Pylarm?
    If it has a trigger, I'm gonna enjoy it!

Quote Originally Posted by English View Post
    In my early days of airgunning there were maybe 4-5 sorts available locally (between the Gunshop and an Ironmongers)

The best were Eley Wasp

BSA Pylarm pellets were near enough identical but the skirts on them were more round whilst the Eley were tri-lobed around the skirt

There was then Webley and Marksman about the same although the Marksman looked a bit longer and they were a bit cheaper then the cheapest of all:

Bulldog - quite oily and lots of misshapen or bits of lead "swarf" in with these but they were cheap by comparison.

So my vote would be for BSA Pylarm?
    Its the black plastic tubs with lids I have never seen and they have no labels.
    BASC

Quote Originally Posted by DEAN C. View Post
    While clearing my garage loft out the other week, to move to our new house, I found a box with about 20 black plastic round pellet tubs with nice push on lids that I had forgotten about.

The pellets inside them look very much like .177 wasps with the usual head impression that they have.
    No label or markings on the plastic tubs or the box that they came in.

I thought that they were were just cheapo pellets, and tipped a few tubs out into old normal tins a few years ago, as the tubs are brilliant for keeping my JSB competition pellets in securely.
    I've had these for at least 25 years and have no idea what they are. Does anyone remember anything like these?
    Could they be old camera film tubs? I remember people useing these for pellets to stop the rattle,
    Or are they flat like a "normal" tin.
    Having no label of any kind is unusual, unless they were peeled off.

Martin

Sounds daft but I think they may be black box - yes black box pellets !

BARBERBLADEFABRIK - also sold as abbey diablo and zero brand.

MAG used to sell these in late 1970's

Can you post a picture ?

Danish Blackbox pellets came in a rectangular box.

MAG Hornet in 5.5 mm came in grey plastic tubs maybe the .177 where black tubs .

They are black round plastic tubs same shape and size as a normal pellet tin. Not sure how you put a pic on collectables and I dont use hosting sites.

I have tried again to add a pic but it doesn't seem to be working. I have just found the same tub on ed bear two airgun pellets pics and they have a orange eley wasp sticker on!
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/312284...7607964699940/ Its the same as the tub on the left

Mine dont have stickers and I had over half of a box of these with about 2 dozen tubs of 500 in and no labels on the tubs or box that they came in.
    Last edited by DEAN C.; 15-01-2022 at 01:40 AM.
    BASC

They are black round plastic tubs same shape and size as a normal pellet tin.
    David Nickerson pellets come in that type of tub. They often have a notch cut out of the lid so than one can turn the rim and shake a few pellets out with out taking the lid off completely

edbear2 Guest
    They are black round plastic tubs same shape and size as a normal pellet tin. Not sure how you put a pic on collectables and I dont use hosting sites.

I have tried again to add a pic but it doesn't seem to be working. I have just found the same tub on ed bear two airgun pellets pics and they have a orange eley wasp sticker on!
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/312284...7607964699940/ Its the same as the tub on the left

Mine dont have stickers and I had over half of a box of these with about 2 dozen tubs of 500 in and no labels on the tubs or box that they came in.

I got the plastic container Wasps from the Malvern militaria fair, a guy had 2 cases of maybe 100 containers in each case. I wish I had a camera at the time or had made a note as there were printed labels on the cases. The seller siad they got them at a forces dispersal sale along with the usual uniform / kit stuff, but knew no more.

I assumed they were for use by Cadets at some stage, I recall the postcode on the plastic containers tallied with a date slip I had in a "normal" tin with the same, so early 1990's

ATB, Ed
    Last edited by edbear2; 17-01-2022 at 09:43 AM.

Norwich 'A Fine City' (unless you're a driver)
    I do have one or two of the plastic tubs, smaller than a regular Wasp tin, with a stick on label, only .77.

I dont recommend moving house if you collect (or hoard).
    I was pulling old BSA's out of cupboards and lofts and under beds and my Mrs was not impressed.

Even less so when she asked how many guns I had and I couldn't answer.... She said you must know!!! "Nope, are we counting complete guns or parts of guns or stripped guns??" That didnt go down well either.

She asked how much my two HFT steyr LG110's cost, as she overheard me say that they are 2.5K new now, she now thinks I have spent £5K on two guns.
    If you took up knitting, she would be more understanding

Quote Originally Posted by slow_runner View Post
    If you took up knitting, she would be more understanding

At the moment I am getting spoilt a bit as I am just about to start treatment for Prostate cancer, I don't know why she is worried, we have just paid the mortgage off.
    Its Ok, she knew I was always into my cars and shooting when we starting going out together, that was 1982.
    BASC