Thread: Annoying HW45 problem

Antoni is online now There's nothing cushy about life in the Women's Auxiliary Balloon Corps!

Annoying HW45 problem

Sometimest the 'trigger' doesn't catch.

Not a big problem because it's natural and necessary to hold the cocking barrel hard when cocking the spring. Sometimes I feel a slight attempt by the mechanism to catch the 'action' but it fails to do so. At which time all that's necessary is to close the gun, with the spring therefore un-cocked, and pull the trigger - which will have no effect - then pull the 'hammer' to open the action, then close it without cocking, then the trigger mechanism works properly. It's all or nothing thank goodness. Obviously a problem, or no problem at all. Never an 'unexpected discharge'.

BTW I measured the trigger force: it's the same when fully cocked to fire or when only the trigger mechanism cocked. Which allows the dry-fire capability of the gun. A brilliant piece of its design.

I can recognise now when the problem is going to arise. It's when the mechanism feels less active when the 'hammer' is pulled to open it. Just close it and re-open without bothering to cock the spring, load and cock the spring, and then all's well with the trigger mechanism.

By far the most times it does catch properly, but does anyody know of a 'standard' fault with this very recently produced gun which causes this effect?
    P1V1overT1=P2V2overT2

I had a similar issue on my old HW45...turned out to be the bolt/screw on the underside of action, the one in front of the trigger guard was slightly loose thus allowing the whole comp tube/piston assembly to slip off the sear, so make sure that bolt is nipped up tight.
    blah blah

tinbum is online now Killer Vampire Lesbians on scooters
    Quote Originally Posted by DCL_dave View Post
    I had a similar issue on my old HW45...turned out to be the bolt/screw on the underside of action, the one in front of the trigger guard was slightly loose thus allowing the whole comp tube/piston assembly to slip off the sear, so make sure that bolt is nipped up tight.
    Is the right answer

Antoni is online now There's nothing cushy about life in the Women's Auxiliary Balloon Corps!
    There is indeed an Allen bolt two inches behind the muzzle on the underside of the gun. I checked it. It was properly nipped up. Is that the one you mean?

All else underneath is covered by the basic casting of the chassis of the gun.

I really don't want to disassemble too far because it's black-anodised (Black Star) and I will certainly scratch it trying to remove any circlips and will certainly lose one if I take any off / try to put any back on.

Any further advice?
    P1V1overT1=P2V2overT2

Schematic for the HW45 on Chambers site - https://www.gunspares.co.uk/showcatimage.asp?id=24564

haven't owned a HW45 for 15 years or more...only other thing I can think of without going inside is to check your trigger pull weight and adjust if necessary...

Edit: ...and yep, that sounds like the screw that I meant - C1077, cylinder lockscrew
    blah blah

Thanks for the link - image saved.

It looks too complicated for my inexperienced hands. I'll use it as it is unless it gets worse.
    P1V1overT1=P2V2overT2

Quote Originally Posted by Antoni View Post
    Thanks for the link - image saved.

It looks too complicated for my inexperienced hands. I'll use it as it is unless it gets worse.

Have you ever adjusted the trigger for pull/weight/travel?...having read your op properly (sorry, speed read it first time around) I think the issue is possibly related to weight of pull, so back it off for a heavier pull and see if the problem occurs maybe?
    blah blah

What about trying a bit of light machine oil down in the trigger sear area (if you can get it in there) - it could just be a part of the trigger / sear mechanism is a little sticky and isn't resetting properly.

Look on YouTube, there is a really good how set of videos on setting up the 45 trigger. There is enough adjustment that a slight shift could give you inconsistent sear engagement.