Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Tasty Laminate Stock on my favourite 'under rated' springer at good price

For most of my airgunning life, the Bascaran Cometas were an uninspiring, old-fashioned, budget brand - a bit like some of the Warsaw Pact guns. And poor quality at times. From the 70s, Gamo was way ahead of them, in styling, innovation, and marketing. So were Norica for a while.

It’s really nice to see that their management has breathed new life into the brand, and are producing models that are up-to-date, attractive and apparently good quality.

mini review

Hope this is OK - I went to post in review bit but something flashed up while I was distracted - approval needed maybe .

Cometa 400 Carbine Laminate 22- first impressions for the enthusiast

A nice laminate stock, some imperfections, minor rough edges to inletting.
    Rifle had been chronoed by seller in Essex, there’s a fella who like a chat about airguns, - 11+ and not over with anything. Was smoking, not horrendously, and stopped after about 40 shots. I bought a Galaxy 400 Carbine a few years ago when they came out, and that would not have stopped dieseling as piston seal was damaged from new ( assembly in factory I’d guess). So this latest manufacture seems improved here.
    I wanted to adjust trigger - easy job except it requires removal of trigger guard unless you own exceptionally long thin gunsmithing screwdrivers. The front trigger guard locator is also main stock bolt and this was wound in foolishly tight. My heart sank as a bit of screw came away and I anticipated a ‘toy screw’ - but thankfully it held up and is a properly hardened screw, just a ‘shave’ came off - phew. Set up trigger easily. There is still a tad of graunch, but to me it’s a good to reasonable trigger. I don’t work down from the best production triggers and make everything worse in my mind, I think about some of the agricultural triggers on airguns shotguns and firearms I’ve shot, and this is so much better than any of those ‘is it going to fire’ type triggers from yesteryear, that to me it’s a good trigger. Plastic, wobbles a tad, predictable, two stage, can be set light yet safe enough, rifle stays on aim - that ticks the box for a trigger to my mind.
    The breach bolt set up - the funny sub screw which meant the octagon main bolt could on Cometa end up a bit too tight or a bit too loose is improved - and the bolt had not been factory tightened by someone built like the hulk making barrel difficult to break / over tensioned. A second noticeable improvement from the one I bought a few years ago.
    I quickly tried a few pellets, surprisingly FTT didn’t seem that great, though barrel was still gunked from dieseling at this point. Superdomes - another Cometa favourite seemed to be grouping well, so after a whipping twine and patch pull / clean I carried on with superdomes, or was about to when ‘She’ said - that’s a pretty one ! A competent shot she then from a rifle with an unleaded barrel, she had never picked up before, fired a few superdomes at 27 yards which covered from one side to other of bull on a bisley red white and blue. As I carried on groups started to tighten but light was dropping off. I did fire a few shots from my other 400 my ‘control’ rifle if you like, and got pin point accuracy, not so with new one so far.
    I haven’t fully pellet matched new rifle, set spring or chronoed etc, and also my other Cometa has an Oz piston seal and custom cut down titan in a WW based Cometa tuning solution (cut down built in guide with Derlin adaptor to size for titan) This was a pullaver to sort and beyond my capabilities, but does show how nicely a 400 can be - I can sometimes see pellets through scope like on short barrelled rammers ……….Thanks to Dave Mercers skills - a man who also knows Cometa are a decent rifle and isn’t afraid to say so.
    The Factory Laminate new rifle - well these come with lifetime G’tee -
    I reckon it’s a fine rifle for anyone, I’d happily recommend to someone who asked ‘what gun’ and it’s shoots ‘good’ straight from box.
    It does sound a bit graunchy to cock - that factory ‘ungreased' spring sound. It shoots accurately, it’s dinky and pointable. I haven’t used stock adjustment as with a 40mm A0 scope it’s perfect for me as is (I’m average height).
    I have thought of these as a replacement for the long defunct UK Webleys for a long time, in a good way. Better in fact in most ways, and parts are readily available, in UK and certainly Europe if not world wide. Would I pick one up to go shooting in preference to a full size UK or German rifle ? Yes, actually I would, or would sometimes. I have always liked dinky rifles, or handy manoeuvrable rifles. I’d say this carbine is the springer equivalent of a BSA Ultra in pcp world - OK from the box, and if you want to soup it up Stella Performers.
    I’m not sure how new rifles compare price wise as prices on all consumer goods seem to be going a bit bonkers - but for the £350 with lifetime Gtee and the nice laminate stock, seems fair enough currently. More though, it’s just a nice rifle, it points far better than most, is fast to shoulder and easy to shoot with, and looks and feels very appealing.
    Hope this gives an even handed user experience of latest version of the 400.
    Looking for TO-6 Trigger unit unmessed with or T0-6 kit for 34

Very nice write up, PCPShooter.

“ I wanted to adjust trigger - easy job except it requires removal of trigger guard unless you own exceptionally long thin gunsmithing screwdrivers.”

That sounds quite a thoughtful piece of design to me. Discourages unsafe tinkering by kids (where legal - which is lots of places) or other rank amateurs, while facilitating it for the type of experienced user who is likely to own the right tools.

I quite like your parallel with the older Webleys - though they were never competitively priced, and their fit and especially finish (if not their design) was exemplary.

look no hands is offline Even better looking than a HW35
    Quote Originally Posted by PCPShooter View Post
    Hope this is OK - I went to post in review bit but something flashed up while I was distracted - approval needed maybe .

Cometa 400 Carbine Laminate 22- first impressions for the enthusiast

A nice laminate stock, some imperfections, minor rough edges to inletting.
    Rifle had been chronoed by seller in Essex, there’s a fella who like a chat about airguns, - 11+ and not over with anything. Was smoking, not horrendously, and stopped after about 40 shots. I bought a Galaxy 400 Carbine a few years ago when they came out, and that would not have stopped dieseling as piston seal was damaged from new ( assembly in factory I’d guess). So this latest manufacture seems improved here.
    I wanted to adjust trigger - easy job except it requires removal of trigger guard unless you own exceptionally long thin gunsmithing screwdrivers. The front trigger guard locator is also main stock bolt and this was wound in foolishly tight. My heart sank as a bit of screw came away and I anticipated a ‘toy screw’ - but thankfully it held up and is a properly hardened screw, just a ‘shave’ came off - phew. Set up trigger easily. There is still a tad of graunch, but to me it’s a good to reasonable trigger. I don’t work down from the best production triggers and make everything worse in my mind, I think about some of the agricultural triggers on airguns shotguns and firearms I’ve shot, and this is so much better than any of those ‘is it going to fire’ type triggers from yesteryear, that to me it’s a good trigger. Plastic, wobbles a tad, predictable, two stage, can be set light yet safe enough, rifle stays on aim - that ticks the box for a trigger to my mind.
    The breach bolt set up - the funny sub screw which meant the octagon main bolt could on Cometa end up a bit too tight or a bit too loose is improved - and the bolt had not been factory tightened by someone built like the hulk making barrel difficult to break / over tensioned. A second noticeable improvement from the one I bought a few years ago.
    I quickly tried a few pellets, surprisingly FTT didn’t seem that great, though barrel was still gunked from dieseling at this point. Superdomes - another Cometa favourite seemed to be grouping well, so after a whipping twine and patch pull / clean I carried on with superdomes, or was about to when ‘She’ said - that’s a pretty one ! A competent shot she then from a rifle with an unleaded barrel, she had never picked up before, fired a few superdomes at 27 yards which covered from one side to other of bull on a bisley red white and blue. As I carried on groups started to tighten but light was dropping off. I did fire a few shots from my other 400 my ‘control’ rifle if you like, and got pin point accuracy, not so with new one so far.
    I haven’t fully pellet matched new rifle, set spring or chronoed etc, and also my other Cometa has an Oz piston seal and custom cut down titan in a WW based Cometa tuning solution (cut down built in guide with Derlin adaptor to size for titan) This was a pullaver to sort and beyond my capabilities, but does show how nicely a 400 can be - I can sometimes see pellets through scope like on short barrelled rammers ……….Thanks to Dave Mercers skills - a man who also knows Cometa are a decent rifle and isn’t afraid to say so.
    The Factory Laminate new rifle - well these come with lifetime G’tee -
    I reckon it’s a fine rifle for anyone, I’d happily recommend to someone who asked ‘what gun’ and it’s shoots ‘good’ straight from box.
    It does sound a bit graunchy to cock - that factory ‘ungreased' spring sound. It shoots accurately, it’s dinky and pointable. I haven’t used stock adjustment as with a 40mm A0 scope it’s perfect for me as is (I’m average height).
    I have thought of these as a replacement for the long defunct UK Webleys for a long time, in a good way. Better in fact in most ways, and parts are readily available, in UK and certainly Europe if not world wide. Would I pick one up to go shooting in preference to a full size UK or German rifle ? Yes, actually I would, or would sometimes. I have always liked dinky rifles, or handy manoeuvrable rifles. I’d say this carbine is the springer equivalent of a BSA Ultra in pcp world - OK from the box, and if you want to soup it up Stella Performers.
    I’m not sure how new rifles compare price wise as prices on all consumer goods seem to be going a bit bonkers - but for the £350 with lifetime Gtee and the nice laminate stock, seems fair enough currently. More though, it’s just a nice rifle, it points far better than most, is fast to shoulder and easy to shoot with, and looks and feels very appealing.
    Hope this gives an even handed user experience of latest version of the 400.
    Sounds good after a little settling in and may be a fettle, one question for you, is the breech block solid on top, ie does it have screw holes for open sights? I like mine to be smooth with no holes or plastic caps when the sights have been removed at the factory.

Pete
    Far too many rifles to list now, all mainly British but the odd pesky foreigner has snuck in

I think they are stunning hunting rifles for the money, Big Dan’s selling them for £295 in .177 or .22 which is a bargain When you compare it to similar rifles, I had an earlier version of the fenix 400 and it was incredibly easy to strip down and service so I’m assuming this will be the same, I’m hopefully getting one in .177 next month, I saw one on his Facebook page in Green laminate which I preferred but either colour is very nice 👍🏻

Hi PCP Shooter , I have seen the Cometa,s at Big Dans ,and had the
    pleasure of handling them and shooting both calibres .177 & .22,
    not only are the stocks stunning both calibres were great to shoot
    get diwn to Big Dans , he is great to deal with!!
    atb brian
    ps yes I have Cometa 220

Quote Originally Posted by siox07 View Post
    I think they are stunning hunting rifles for the money, Big Dan’s selling them for £295 in .177 or .22 which is a bargain When you compare it to similar rifles, I had an earlier version of the fenix 400 and it was incredibly easy to strip down and service so I’m assuming this will be the same, I’m hopefully getting one in .177 next month, I saw one on his Facebook page in Green laminate which I preferred but either colour is very nice 👍🏻
    Looking at a link someone has put up, it now says they are £350.

Pete
    Far too many rifles to list now, all mainly British but the odd pesky foreigner has snuck in

Solid top breach no screw holes
    Yes apparently they were expected at same price as Wanut £295, but are indeed £350
    I got mine for 295 price honoured as quoted at time _

The more I shoot the factory Cometa the more I like it …..

I’d recommend to anyone - remarkably twang free, bit of a ping
    It like HW FTT 5.51s slightly better (slightly) than Super Domes. Very consistent and bang on power wise 11+

It like HW FTT 5.51s slightly better (slightly) than Super Domes. Very consistent and bang on power wise 11+
    I've been looking at the various Cometas for years....
    But I have too many airguns as it is.
    Too many airguns!

So how is it fairing up after a few months of ownership, I saw one in John Knibbs and it certainly is nice to handle, just need some more input about them before commiting to buy.

Pete

I actually had an older 400 carbine bought with plastic stock (Galaxy)
    That was not great from new _

That had a Welsh willy (early) chopped down rear guide conversion, parts from WW, work done by DM80

The result was frankly amazing _

The later rifle bought with Laminate stock shot really well 'bog standard' as I wrote. Honestly, it's the best result I've had from a factory springer (And a humble Gamo GX 40 the best result from a factory PCP) so the Spanish are doing something right _

I swapped the actions so my 'custom tuned' one is in laminate stock, and is like my old Fenman, except it doesn't scare vermin with an overly loud barrel lock up. Clearly it's not made from such thick metal but the trigger is better !

The factory rifle sits now in the plastic stock with a BSA 4-12 AO (jsr) that compliments it perfectly.

I took it to Iden and was talking to the former club owner and several others about it being the best factory springer I've had and demonstrated same by knocking down all targets (off hand) in the chicken area (one took me two shots) !

After a lot of pellet testing FTT are the way to go, the HW 5.51s which seem to have dried up now group a knats cock tighter than the more usual 5.53s, but I'm just feeding both 400s on 5.53s

Honestly, if someone asked me what was a decent rifle to buy, since Diana seemed to kinda disappear with the 31s 34 s onto the modular system (which is probably great, but they usually take a year or two to start shortening the barrels), and the last recent HW I saw - the quality was not as good as before, I'd say the Cometa 400 can't be beaten for the money.

It does feel a bit 'thinner' metal, but the trigger is good, the barrel shims make the HW ones look silly and are much better designed, and Chambers have most spares in stock at realistic prices, OZ piston seals are available (which are fab)

Yep - good rifles