Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Reloading parts list?

Reloading parts list?

Hi all,

I recently posted on here about which press to get and got some really helpful replies.

I'm new to reloading and based on research and reviews, I'm planning on getting a 'Lee auto breechlock pro' press.

I'll be putting in an order for this soon, for when I start reloading.

Full disclosure, I don't have a slot for the ammunition or gun that I intend to use this for. However I do have C-19, so am bored off my nut isolating, I'm also missing a shooting night at the club, which has got me super pissed, so I'm trying to put my energies into research for reloading, as well as some dry firing training

Anyway, my list so far consists of:
    press
    shell plate
    carbide die set (intending to load pistols rounds)
    auto disk powder measure
    bin to catch the made rounds

I have a case tumbler and ultra sonic cleaner as well as a single stage press for de-priming.

Also, for safety etc, I am a probationary member of a club, and once full member, I'll be putting in for my variations to enable me to reload (.44 for now, maybe .357/.38 later), and an experienced club member has offered to show me the ropes, so that I don't blow my, or other members' heads off.

Any parts that are required would be good to hear, as it will save me money on postage if I can put a big order in.

Of course I have not included the vital components, the bullet and cases, where do you prefer to go to purchase these, local rfd or online?

Atb,
    Danny.
    Smith & Wesson M&P 15-22/BRNO Model 2/Remington 597/Buckmark/Marlin.44

Bullets- Kranks or shell house for these sorts of bullets- cast lead only, no point spending £££ for jacketed.

Cases- Ad on here for them. These sorts of rounds case life is virtually indefinite.

As to what else to buy (just things that spring to the top of my mind):
    Scales- Ive always used electronic and my last set are off Amazon for a fraction of the price of a unit that says "shooting" on the side. Always, always check at least some metered charges, especially when setting up. I'd weigh every charge initially, just while you're getting familiar.

Calipers- for checking case length

Case trimmer of some description. I've got a Lyman universal and I'm not that Impressed with it, I fancy trying a Lee tool sometime instead.

Priming tool- I've never got on well with "on press" priming, whether single stage or progressive. My favourite is the Lee hand primer, think they're on a new version now

Case block

Powder funnel

Books:
    At least one data book

Personal recommendation from me is the "ABC's of reloading"- I'd get that now off Amazon and read through it, a superb primer to the actual "how tos" of reloading. I'd also use the press in single stage, batch mode at first.

Quote Originally Posted by zanes View Post
    Bullets- Kranks or shell house for these sorts of bullets- cast lead only, no point spending £££ for jacketed.

Cases- Ad on here for them. These sorts of rounds case life is virtually indefinite.

As to what else to buy (just things that spring to the top of my mind):
    Scales- Ive always used electronic and my last set are off Amazon for a fraction of the price of a unit that says "shooting" on the side. Always, always check at least some metered charges, especially when setting up. I'd weigh every charge initially, just while you're getting familiar.

Calipers- for checking case length

Case trimmer of some description. I've got a Lyman universal and I'm not that Impressed with it, I fancy trying a Lee tool sometime instead.

Priming tool- I've never got on well with "on press" priming, whether single stage or progressive. My favourite is the Lee hand primer, think they're on a new version now

Case block

Powder funnel

Books:
    At least one data book

Personal recommendation from me is the "ABC's of reloading"- I'd get that now off Amazon and read through it, a superb primer to the actual "how tos" of reloading. I'd also use the press in single stage, batch mode at first.
    Many thanks for your detailed reply, really helpful and much appreciated.

Great advice too re taking it slowly at first, I'll definitely be doing that.

Got the ABC book on order now, so thanks for the tip!

Welcome to the rabbit hole....

I’d have put a decent manual at the top of the job list too.

For cast I’d make sure you have a decent chamfer to to prevent you peeling bits off your cast bullets, I’ve always found the Lee dies more than adequate and the collet crimping die excellent. The Lee case trimmer is simple and works, you can also mount it in an electric drill if you have much to do, but usually a quick spin in the fingers will sort it.

Quote Originally Posted by lightning22 View Post
    Welcome to the rabbit hole....

I’d have put a decent manual at the top of the job list too.

For cast I’d make sure you have a decent chamfer to to prevent you peeling bits off your cast bullets, I’ve always found the Lee dies more than adequate and the collet crimping die excellent. The Lee case trimmer is simple and works, you can also mount it in an electric drill if you have much to do, but usually a quick spin in the fingers will sort it.

Thanks, it does appear to be a real rabbit hole!

Re the case trimmer, I found this one online, it appears to go into a press:

https://www.reloading.co.uk/lee-quicktrim.html

Is that the one you are referring to?

Or is there something else?

Thanks

Check load data from at least two sources

Calipers, digital are easier.

Scales, again digital are easier / quicker

Kinetic hammer or puller

A good solid and clear bench with good light and no distractions.

Loading tray, can be an old cartridge box.

Pen, paper, labels, make a list, take notes and label your reloads

Starting out keep it simple, only load a few and test.

Check and double check, take your time

Starting out i would weigh every finished round.

First shots, a double charge you will know about but squibs are easy to miss.

Quote Originally Posted by DannyT View Post
    Thanks, it does appear to be a real rabbit hole!

Re the case trimmer, I found this one online, it appears to go into a press:

https://www.reloading.co.uk/lee-quicktrim.html

Is that the one you are referring to?

Or is there something else?

Thanks
    Hi,

I’ve never used that version, I use this

https://www.sportsmanguncentre.co.uk...-and-lock-stud

And then you add the calibre specific kit like this

https://www.sportsmanguncentre.co.uk...d-shell-holder

I’m not massively keen on the Lee chamfer tool, the Lyman one works well for me

https://www.sportsmanguncentre.co.uk...-very-low-drag

Thanks for the links and advice.

Re digital scales, do I need to specify a particular type, eg ones to measure in grains as opposed to grams?

Yes you need scales with the grain setting also get a couple of check weight's one about 1 gram and one about 5 gram's when you first get your scales it with the check it with the weight's and before every loading session, see if you can find someone with reloaders balance beam scales and see what the check weight's actually weigh.
    Myself I use manual balance beam scales as over the year's I have had enough of electronic one's reading wrong or just locking up and becoming bin fodder.

Thanks for the links and advice.

Re digital scales, do I need to specify a particular type, eg ones to measure in grains as opposed to grams?
    As above, something that measures in grains. I’ve never used a beam scale so can’t really comment on them, cheap ‘dealer’ scales from the auction site will do the job, they will come with a check weight, just make sure you check before starting to reload and they’ll be fine. You can buy pretty much the same scales with a brand name on them and pay multiples more for them.

Beam scales are slow, i didn't get on with the LEE version, i like the RCBS version better.

The beam scales are simple and reliable but slow, the electronic scales are faster and easier to use, less reliable in the long term but your more likely to use them.

personally i would buy 2nd hand cases as you wont stretch them or wear them out....
    unless you cast your own which is cheaper then buy from kranks or shell house.
    i prime mine in a lee press which can take normal shell holders including the huge martini henry one....its an attachment you can buy online.
    i charge all my cases with my rcbs chargemaster which works perfectly even at 6 gns....need to learn it though with a dummy run first
    not a fan of powder throwers even though 1000s of reloaders love them.....i like to check each case if using fast pistol powders.......just a habit but a very good one.
    i also like to stainless steel tumble the cases prior to reloading but its not neccesary .
    i also load fmj rounds too which again its a waste indoors or 25 yds but they look so pretty.
    best buy in my opinion is the tru glow sights which makes open sight shooting a lot easier

Quote Originally Posted by loiner1965 View Post
    personally i would buy 2nd hand cases as you wont stretch them or wear them out....
    unless you cast your own which is cheaper then buy from kranks or shell house.
    i prime mine in a lee press which can take normal shell holders including the huge martini henry one....its an attachment you can buy online.
    i charge all my cases with my rcbs chargemaster which works perfectly even at 6 gns....need to learn it though with a dummy run first
    not a fan of powder throwers even though 1000s of reloaders love them.....i like to check each case if using fast pistol powders.......just a habit but a very good one.
    i also like to stainless steel tumble the cases prior to reloading but its not neccesary .
    i also load fmj rounds too which again its a waste indoors or 25 yds but they look so pretty.
    best buy in my opinion is the tru glow sights which makes open sight shooting a lot easier
    Great tips, many thanks for the info.

Atb,
    Danny.

Great tips, many thanks for the info.

Atb,
    Danny.
    i found vhit tinstar to be very clean and accurate with girly loads as i was given a bit to sample but i use unique which is dirtierbut have 2 full tubsso waste not want not

Generally I would not bother with a case trimmer for pistol cal rounds. A good set of scales is recommended especially if you are going to reload rifle rounds at a later date.
    A good set of beam scales should see you ok until you go to rifle rounds and then I would go electronic (IMO)