Thread: webley mk3 Tap issue

webley mk3 Tap issue

Hi Guys, just finished refurbishing my Mk3, Before I pulled apart i had no Issue with the tap aligning but since putting it back together i find it sits ok until i put the the little spring and ball bearing and tighten the plate on the left it pushes it across to the right ever so slightly putting the the hole off center to the right. it had no shims on it to start with. Are Anyone of you webley experts out there able offer some advice as to what i might be doing wrong ? All advice appreciated as this is my first experience with the Webley mk3,
    Thanks.
    Roy

Does the tap move so far out of line such that the pellet can't be seated properly or does it just look out of alignment ? JMHO, but to check tap alignment you really need to either strip the item down and check visually from the trigger block end or else push a well fitting probe down from the barrel end "feel" to see if the tap and bore are out of alignment. I say this because I have in the distant past come across MKIIIs where alignment of the tap for loading and firing doesn't "match". ie, the tap can look out of alignment for loading but the pellet still enters the bore ok.

JMHO and happy to be proven wrong if that's what I am.

Vic Thompson.

Fire a few pellets into a rolled up towel or similar at twenty yards. The recovered pellets should be relatively undamaged and you can examine them to see how even the rifling marks are. Tap misalignment is usually pretty obvious.