Thread: In my 50s and just starting

In my 50s and just starting

As the title says, just getting into some 10m pistol shooting and trying to join local club, I am waiting for the weather to get a bit milder too so I can step into the garden and practice, anymore old gits started or starting as young as 55+ in 10m shooting, let me know maybe we can share tips that none of the younguns know (haha)

Anyway got myself the pistol and the rest of the gear for 10m pistol, the air cylinders were out of date so a new one ordered, the pistol has been sized up and I am getting a couple of decent shots in the garden before the shivering stops play.

Cases .does anyone know if the new lovely blue LP500 case will fit older LP pistols its lovely and probably cheaper than an original for my pistol.

Air cylinders that are out of date, can they be re tested like PCP filling tanks (divers tanks) or is that it practice only cylinders?

Anyway that,s enough silly questions for one night.

Legally, air pistol cylinders do not go out of date. At one time, ISSF competitions stopped allowing cylinders more than ten years old to be used in their comps but it is possible that even ISSF have now dropped that rule. If some shops or clubs will not fill older pistol cylinders that is their choice but it is not law.

Quote Originally Posted by Powderfinger View Post
    Legally, air pistol cylinders do not go out of date. At one time, ISSF competitions stopped allowing cylinders more than ten years old to be used in their comps but it is possible that even ISSF have now dropped that rule. If some shops or clubs will not fill older pistol cylinders that is their choice but it is not law.
    Really, that's good to know, I was told they can be used in clubs but just not in competitions.

As has been said comps is open to interpretation. I've shot at local and national but never been checked on that. Pistol in a box and trigger pull weight is all the checks I've had.

Also, welcome to 10m shooting! I didn't start until I 41, now 49 and have always enjoyed it. Also, I used to shoot with a guy who could still give me a good run for my money when I was winning a few local things back before covid struck and he was well in to his 70s. Sadly he's gone now but was shooting well till the end.

I don't know if you have 6 yards available inside. 6 yard shooting on the scaled down 10m targets is totally comparable to how you will do at 10m. Also, don't discount dry firing. While you're probably itching to get the pellets down range, dry firing is important, easy and doesn't require a range at all.
    Steyr Challenge HFT - HW97K - BSA Mercury Challenger - Anschutz 9015 One - AA Pro Target - AA Pro Elite - ASI Paratrooper (R) - Walther LP500

Quote Originally Posted by bootneckbob View Post
    As has been said comps is open to interpretation. I've shot at local and national but never been checked on that. Pistol in a box and trigger pull weight is all the checks I've had.

Also, welcome to 10m shooting! I didn't start until I 41, now 49 and have always enjoyed it. Also, I used to shoot with a guy who could still give me a good run for my money when I was winning a few local things back before covid struck and he was well in to his 70s. Sadly he's gone now but was shooting well till the end.

I don't know if you have 6 yards available inside. 6 yard shooting on the scaled down 10m targets is totally comparable to how you will do at 10m. Also, don't discount dry firing. While you're probably itching to get the pellets down range, dry firing is important, easy and doesn't require a range at all.
    I am dry firing all the time to get a bit of practice steadying my nerves mainly, sometimes I am steady but I find if I lift before 15 seconds I have some nerve shakes

I've posted this link many times on various forums:
    https://www.tenrings.co.uk/tips-and-tricks/
    If you read it and scroll down you will see there are a number of PDFs on different aspects.

Going back and reading all of these and actually putting them into practice is what 'instantly' broke my barrier of 546. I had been stuck for a year or so hovering around this mark but unable to break the 550. As soon as I read all of the article I went back to the range and smashed my PB with a 563 (my Steyr Evo10e) and then straight after 569 with a Walther LP 400 I'd had for about a month. It's now 573 with the Steyr but that's most likely because once I proved the issue wasn't my kit but me, I carried on concentrating with the Steyr. Still love shooting the Walther though from time to time.

I think I might have seen that 300 for sale, good deal if it was the same one.
    Steyr Challenge HFT - HW97K - BSA Mercury Challenger - Anschutz 9015 One - AA Pro Target - AA Pro Elite - ASI Paratrooper (R) - Walther LP500

It was a good deal, I didnt bothet trying to barter, just bougt it, I was trying to get a Steyr LP10 from an online source but never got a message returned until it sold, but now I have resized the grip and got the trigger how I like, the 300 is amazing, far better than I imagined, I just need to get the practice in now and enjoy the sport.

Quote Originally Posted by DM1964 View Post
    It was a good deal, I didnt bothet trying to barter, just bougt it, I was trying to get a Steyr LP10 from an online source but never got a message returned until it sold, but now I have resized the grip and got the trigger how I like, the 300 is amazing, far better than I imagined, I just need to get the practice in now and enjoy the sport.
    That's great. I wanted the LP500 when it came out. I just can't justify selling the Steyr and Walther 400 to buy a 500. It would give me the option of one pistol which could be mechanical or electronic but I just don't think it's a sensible idea!

I love shooting the Walther, but the Steyr is the better pistol. Isn't it??? :-)

Quote Originally Posted by bootneckbob View Post
    That's great. I wanted the LP500 when it came out. I just can't justify selling the Steyr and Walther 400 to buy a 500. It would give me the option of one pistol which could be mechanical or electronic but I just don't think it's a sensible idea!

I love shooting the Walther, but the Steyr is the better pistol. Isn't it??? :-)
    The best one is the one you get all 10s with

The best one is the one you get all 10s with
    That's the problem; after a few weeks of shooting them against each other (and a borrowed FWB) my scores (average) were all with 1% of each other. Bearing in mind this is with my Steyr I'd been shooting for about 4 years, a Walther I'd just had/got and a mates pistol I was borrowing. So no fancy work on the grips, just basic fitting. All three smashed my previous PB (as mentioned in an earlier post).

The Walther I find very easy to hold, the grip fits like the proverbial glove, and the trigger is sublime. Its so easy to get tight groups, but it's unforgiving with any error.
    The FWB P8X has an even better standard grip (if that were possible) and equally nice trigger. The trigger shoe is lovely. But I'd be back to my worries about service and support with a FWB.
    The Steyr is totally dead to shoot, utterly soulless and the trigger....well it's electronic so it just goes click! I have a Rink grip on it which is closer to the feel of the Walther. The original Steyr grip was ok and works, but very generic. Didn't really effect my scores though. I would be open to having a proper sculpted one but as I'm capable of decent scores without I would only have it done professionally and I'm not in that space anymore. I like 10m, but no aspirations to compete really now. I enjoy the relaxation and getting into the zone with pistol shooting. It can really take my mind off any other sh**e going on in the world.

So, going to a Walther 500 I'd be almost be paying for the fit of the 400 with the ability to upgrade to the e trigger. Not sure I'd go e trigger again. I had my reasons, which were actually less wear and tear mechanically, but turns out my e trigger board needed replacing last year so it's swings and roundabouts!

Must admit all this talk about the 500 has rekindled my interest but at the end of the day I'd still need to sell both of my current pistols to buy one new one....and that's madness

RobinC is offline Awesome Shooting Coach and Author.
    [QUOTE=Powderfinger;8106998]Legally, air pistol cylinders do not go out of date. At one time, ISSF competitions stopped allowing cylinders more than ten years old to be used in their comps but it is possible that even ISSF have now dropped that rule. QUOTE]

The date is now an "advisory" even at top level by ISSF rules.

The ISSF dropped the rule like a hot potatoe when it was pointed out to them that if they passed an in date one as OK they were actually accepting legal responsibility for it!
    The responsibility for the cylinder is now the shooters. And except by abuse they do not dangerously fail. The original rucus and subsequent OTT reactions many years back now, where all manufacturers started stating a life on cylinders, and the ISSF jumped in adding it to equipment control, were due to a freak small batch of faulty manufactured cylinders from one manufacturer, now long since rectified.

The volume is way below any legal regulation for air cylinders, but the bulk cylinder you fill from is subject to test and recertification.

Welcome to the sport, age is no barrier as long as you are fit, Ragnar Skanaker of Sweden was shooting world level scores into the 580's ex 600 well into his 80's.

Have fun
    Robin
    Walther KK500 Alutec expert special - Barnard .223 "wilde" in a Walther KK500 Alutec stock, mmm...tasty!! - Keppeler 6 mmBR with Walther grip and wood! I may be a Walther-phile?

Thanks for the info Robin

You could do a lot worse that having a go at the 6yd MPL postal competition as an ideal introduction to shooting with your air pistol.........and/or the 10 meter event as well if you fancied and are able to also find a longer distance to shoot over?

Your scores would be recorded monthly for you and makes an ideal way to chart your progress each month.

Stay safe,

Bob.
    Rossendale Target Shooting Club. Every Tuesday and Thursday evening 7 - 10pm.

Quote Originally Posted by zooma View Post
    You could do a lot worse that having a go at the 6yd MPL postal competition as an ideal introduction to shooting with your air pistol.........and/or the 10 meter event as well if you fancied and are able to also find a longer distance to shoot over?

Your scores would be recorded monthly for you and makes an ideal way to chart your progress each month.

Stay safe,

Bob.
    Sounds good how do I get info on this please

Sounds good how do I get info on this please

Its on the same page as your thread:-

https://www.airgunbbs.com/showthread...petition-Rules
    Rossendale Target Shooting Club. Every Tuesday and Thursday evening 7 - 10pm.