Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Holy Grails.

What a awesome group of unusual pistol, only in the UK could that be achieved! My pistol holy grail was the Tell 3 which I was able to buy at the Ingvar Alm auction several years ago. One was fully boxed! It was part of a group of 7 pistols. After selling the others my cost was very low. My current holy grail pistolwise would probably be an American Brown. Though doubt that will happen plus the fact, I’ve never hear of one that shoots. The holy grail for a rifle would probably be the first model Military Diana 58, that would complete my 58 collection. Not holding my breath on that one!

Quote Originally Posted by Geezer View Post
    Any views on how well - or not - they shoot, especially compared to a Webley Mk1?
    It would probably be a bit unfair for me to directly compare how these pistols shoot compared with the Webley Mk1 as I have only shot them sparingly whereas I shoot my Webleys on a regular basis. However, for compactness, reliability, usability and accuracy I don't believe any of them come close to the Webley with the nearest being the Westly Richards Highest Possible Concentric.

Brian

Outstanding.
    I don't collect but can see why there is the passion for them.

Sadly, I bought my holy grail of air rifles; 46 in total. All the ones I lusted after as a youth. I wish I hadn't as only a few stood up to the knightly pedestal I bestowed on them. I kept three or four.

I am still looking for a mint Omega full length barrel, in .177. Anything else are items i just missed when they came up, even if it was just to have for a short while before moving on. I still hoping Dean C. will sell me his AA ProSport one day.

Your photography is excellent Brian - it really shows off these rarities very well indeed.

I would be very interested in learning how each performs if you ever decide to undertake accuracy/performance testing, perhaps at 6 yards?

Kind regards,

John
    Currently looking for Baikal Makarov pistols with the following prefixes to the serial number: 98, T01, T09, T21, T22
    Prefer boxed or cased but will consider loose examples too.

Those are four astonishing pistols, and great photos! Thank you very much for posting.

Not sure there is any rational explanation for this beyond its sheer weirdness, but top of my list is the early-1950's Haenel model IV M rifle. A tap-loading, top-lever-cocking, uniquely-styled, beautifully-built match gun.

Quote Originally Posted by oldcurmudgeon View Post
    My personal Grail was a Webley Tomahawk in .25 and thanks to the legendary KB this was achieved.
    I remember being at that Bisley Arms fair when you got it.

How about this for a Holy Grail, certainly would be in the US.
    https://youtu.be/NWXmYs79hX0

micky2 is offline The collector formerly known as micky
    Hi Brian, what a great collection. l don't really have a holly grail airgun quest. but 3 out of the 4 that you have would make me happy if l could find them at a good price to pay. l did buy my Certus at a very good price though. one l would really like is the Giffard pistol. who knows l might just find one that l could afford.

The term ' Holy Grails ' is a misnomer. Without wishing to throw a damp blanket over this interesting thread, there was only ever one Holy Grail.

The rare pieces that have been discussed on this thread have superstar quality. They are members of small pools of known examples and so far I think it is the fine Anson Star that holds the crown. This one is so rare that it almost trips into the realm of mythology but comes just shy...

The 'Connoisseur ' airguns, the Hermann Historica types, have the highest status in terms of quality and rarity but we are drifting off course, blinded by excellence. We will not find our grail there.

After all the real Holy Grail was just a manky old cup!...

Which is the airgun that fires the imagination?, starts crusades, gets Indiana bumping and scraping under the truck...?

For the late and esteemed Dr Robert Beeman, it was the Lewis and Clarke Girandoni, widely acknowledged as the most important arm in American history. We all know the complex and controversial story surrounding his rifle and whatever the truth, I think the brew ha-ha has added to the mythology.
    The Lewis and Clarke Girandoni is similar to other Girandonis, so its claim to the status of Holy Grail relies on its provenance.

My contender for the title is the Walther LP52 that surfaced on egun back-along. I think it ticks most if not all the boxes. It provoked forensic interest and the un-cooperative response from the Walther factory regarding its provenance, helped sustain the element of myth!.
    Oddly enough, for James Bond enthusiasts, the LP 53 from the publicity photos that sold for all that money is the Holy Grail...

It would be a Webley Whiting for me.

For me it would be the BSA prototype based on the Britannia design that Ian Alcock had in his possession and refers to in the NZ Airgun article.
    Even a photo would be nice!

Matt

Quote Originally Posted by ptdunk View Post
    For me it would be the BSA prototype based on the Britannia design that Ian Alcock had in his possession and refers to in the NZ Airgun article.
    Even a photo would be nice!

Matt
    Yes that would be an interesting one to see Matt. I wonder who has it now?

John
    Currently looking for Baikal Makarov pistols with the following prefixes to the serial number: 98, T01, T09, T21, T22
    Prefer boxed or cased but will consider loose examples too.

BSA S2000??? Some exist, but I believe one gun shop owns all the examples. They once had an example on a gun rack at the Game Fair. I tried to buy it but they realised the mistake. Quality of finish was not so great.

Quote Originally Posted by Abasmajor View Post
    My fairly late interest in collecting classic spring powered air pistols started with finding good examples of those from my youth which meant mainly those from Webley followed by some rarer but still seen enough to be within my reach. There were however four extremely rare models that I coveted but thought I would be lucky to come across never mind be able to afford. This changed when a casual visit to my local gun dealer who mainly sold modern air guns resulted in my obtaining an Anson Star which is probably the rarest pistol in collection at a price I would have been happy to pay for a nice Webley or more readily available model from another manufacturer.

Shortly after this, another of my Holy Grails appeared at auction which given the saving I had made on the Star encouraged me to pay the expected premium needed to get a Westley Richards Highest Possible Concentric on the rare occasion they seem appear on the market.

Encouraged by this I was lucky enough to find the third pistol on my list a Cogswell & Harrison Certus from an Arms Fair at Bisley also at what I considered a reasonable price.

ugh probably seen a bit more often than the others, the AG Parker Crank Wound which was final pistol on my list took longer before finally being listed on-line by antique dealer some years later who was happy to sell it at a bargain price as it was out of his usual speciality.

I don’t have a limitless budget, but this just shows that with some luck and determination, even those items we think beyond our wildest expectations' can be found. Does anybody else have a Holy Grail they have found or are still chasing ?

Brian

May I ask the serial number of your Anson please Brian? Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by slug-gun View Post
    May I ask the serial number of your Anson please Brian? Thanks.
    Hi Chris,

The Ser No of the Anson's Star is No 81. Until this particular example appeared, it was believed that the higher Ser Nos were allocated to the first series Stars rather than the second series Anson's Stars. It does still have all the characteristics of the second series Anson's Star though, so Ser No allocation would seem to have been a bit more random than previously thought.

Brian