Thread: Anyone made their own crosman metal breach ?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Near Wimbledon, SW London, or Lusaka, Zambia
    I've got a 16mm bar that'll do nicely.. means I can do it all without repositioning the work in the clamp too, as the travel in the mill is only around 70mm, whereas with your approach I could do the whole lathe bed length... can also fine tune the radius with cutter seating depth.

Just need to build a workpiece clamp on the toolpost, but that's not too big a deal... time to dig out the mig...
    Always looking for any cheap, interesting, knackered "project" guns. Thanks, JB.

Quote Originally Posted by Shed tuner View Post
    I've got a 16mm bar that'll do nicely.. means I can do it all without repositioning the work in the clamp too, as the travel in the mill is only around 70mm, whereas with your approach I could do the whole lathe bed length... can also fine tune the radius with cutter seating depth.

Just need to build a workpiece clamp on the toolpost, but that's not too big a deal... time to dig out the mig...
    How were you originally thinking of holding the workpiece jon ?

you don't need to use a ball nosed endmill you can just mill slot like a falcon uses

Quote Originally Posted by --ped-- View Post
    you don't need to use a ball nosed endmill you can just mill slot like a falcon uses
    was thinking of the need for the transfer port seal to be close.. but then again, easy anough to make a new bespoke transfer port.

I'm actaully rather glad I started this thread - lots of interesting things to think about - thanks all for the ideas and input
    Always looking for any cheap, interesting, knackered "project" guns. Thanks, JB.

tp seals in the barrel so it won't make a difference really but if you did it like a falcon it would be a bit more work to get the clearance right

this is one of my favourite breech's i've made

and the middle one is one a friend made for me in the style of a crosmods but to take a .20 rapid mag using a winerack barrel all the other parts i made or adapted

he also made this -all brass bar the springs stem and hammer

Funny you shoudl post that first one.. the prototype I've just started on will be very similar...

Quote Originally Posted by hmangphilly View Post
    How were you originally thinking of holding the workpiece jon ?
    I have a right angle milling adapter that sits atop the slide instead of the toolpost (with about 70mm vertical travel via it's own slide), which has a small machine vice mounted on it, facing the chuck.

I can modify an old crude tool holder to clamp the workpiece, so it can approach horizontally rather than longtitudinally...