Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Anyone made their own crosman metal breach ?

An easy solution for scope mounting may be a Thompson Center weaver scope rail.
    Too many airguns!

Near Wimbledon, SW London, or Lusaka, Zambia
    Quote Originally Posted by evert View Post
    Now comes the placing of the holes and the loading port..... I've left a few mm's extra at each end, and will start with milling the loading port and locating the breech mounting screw hole, so I can trim the rear end to length after those critical dimensions are established.
    yes, thinking the same.... cut the loading port, and then work out from there and the transfer port/small securing screw. everything else has progressively more room for error as you work outwards, but the transfer port/barrel depth/security screw need to be just right. will cut the vertical bolt locking groove once I can assemble and make sure it gives the right amount of forwards pressure of the bolt into the barrel.

I've bored everything through now - 1/4" for the bolt, and currently 11mm for the barrel - which is too tight as you said, so I'll give it a tickle with a small boring bar. the 1/4" reamer on the bolt hole worked perfect, giving a nice sliding fit now.

Here a couple of pics showing clearances - lower is tight but fine (pretty much the same as factory) and upper has a little meat to allow for dovetails, or bolts. I really shoudl have started with some slightly larger OD bar, but this was sitting in the scrap bin

Always looking for any cheap, interesting, knackered "project" guns. Thanks, JB.

Coming along nicely, Jon. Well done.
    THE BOINGER BASH AT QUIGLEY HOLLOW. MAKING GREAT MEMORIES SINCE 15th JUNE, 2013.
    NEXT EVENT :- May 4/5, 2024.........BOING!!

Machining the loading port and drilling the hole for the front mounting screw was easy. Made up a drill guide in the lathe to center the drill bit perfectly, and drilled from the underside.
    Drilling the recess for the screw head in the loading track was complicated by me being sloppy, and the drill started to wander off a bit.
    I saved it by changing to a grinding bit in the dremel and slowly opening and deepening the hole for the screw head. It ended up okay, but its not visually perfect.

The hole for the transfer port is next, by mounting the breech on the main tube and making a guide for a marking punch the hole can be precisely located on the bottom of the breech.
    Too many airguns!

for the breech screw i just countersink it as i use stainless csk screws i get from Gary Lindop

Drilled some holes today:
    Too many airguns!

man I'm losing this race.. no time at all today, and looks rammed with work tomorrow...

Looks good Evert, but the tricky milling is yet to come
    Always looking for any cheap, interesting, knackered "project" guns. Thanks, JB.

Quote Originally Posted by Shed tuner View Post
    man I'm losing this race.. no time at all today, and looks rammed with work tomorrow...

The good thing is, if you get the locking groove a fraction off, you just make a bolt to compensate for it!
    I managed to put the transfer port hole in the right place, but there are many imperfections in this thing...
    Barrels seat to the correct depth, but I have a small gap between the bolt track and barrel that bothers me.
    But, I belive it will work well in the end, and its good to finally get the motivation needed to do this!

This kind of work motivates me to buy a proper milling machine....
    Too many airguns!

This kind of work motivates me to buy a proper milling machine....
    ha, it motivated me to just buy a secondhand breech instead

And have you seen the lathe I'm using for milling - that's 1950s...

ha, it motivated me to just buy a secondhand breech instead

And have you seen the lathe I'm using for milling - that's 1950s...
    Yeah, the time spent on making one of these is not really worth it, but I've been thinking about making one for over ten years now...

I'm perfectly happy with my 1947 South Bend!(for lathe work that is)
    Too many airguns!

That'll teach me to read these threads properly in future, as I'd missed the bit earlier where young evert was also jumping in!. In my defence, things have been a little chaotic here, though.

Good luck to both with these projects; they're coming along nicely.
    THE BOINGER BASH AT QUIGLEY HOLLOW. MAKING GREAT MEMORIES SINCE 15th JUNE, 2013.
    NEXT EVENT :- May 4/5, 2024.........BOING!!

Quote Originally Posted by TonyL View Post
    That'll teach me to read these threads properly in future, as I'd missed the bit earlier where young evert was also jumping in!. In my defence, things have been a little chaotic here, though.

Good luck to both with these projects; they're coming along nicely.
    Was it the change in colour that gave it away Tony ? Found you out, just looking at the pix....

Yeah, the time spent on making one of these is not really worth it, but I've been thinking about making one for over ten years now...

I'm perfectly happy with my 1947 South Bend!(for lathe work that is)
    Same here.. often thought about it, but the newly aquired milling bracket that I've just adapted was the catalyst.

South Bends are solid lathes.. gives me an idea for another thread...

So, how are yours coming along, a re you catching up??? it might take a few days until I have time to finish it!
    Too many airguns!

So, how are yours coming along, a re you catching up??? it might take a few days until I have time to finish it!
    I think it'll not be 'till the weekend now... no rush, I've been thinking about it for a decade too, and shooting co2 at 2 degrees above freezing isn't great, so as long as it's done by April when it warms up I'm OK