Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: Anyone made their own crosman metal breach ?

Machine the bolt handle track, and managed to get it "good enough", which means almost centered to the bolt hole.
    Made up a bolt with seal and probe well fitted to the breech taper and transfer port... and then managed to place the hole for the handle a mm too far back.

Oh well, a new bolt will solve the problem.
    Too many airguns!

Near Wimbledon, SW London, or Lusaka, Zambia
    well, i did just finish the loading tray cut out, and drilled the two mounting (small front and large rear) screws.. lucky I followed my normal approach (knowing how crap I am) and drilled them both undersize. I then determined that they were 0.5mm too close, and used a small round file to bring them both outwards. Then when I put the full sized drill through each, they followed the filed down route which bought them back into alignment. Not that I make these small errors regularly

next is the transfer port, then precisely machining the depth of the barrel bore to get transfer port alignment perfect. Want to do that so as to get the bolt position right before the cocking slot gets milled.

I now know enough to know I will never bother making one of these again. I'm probably just around half way and eash, too much work... quite satisfying though
    Last edited by Shed tuner; 22-01-2022 at 06:27 PM.
    Always looking for any cheap, interesting, knackered "project" guns. Thanks, JB.

Quote Originally Posted by Shed tuner View Post
    well, i did just finish the loading try cut out, and drilled the two mounting (small front and large rear) screws.. lucky I followed my normal approach (knowing how crap I am) and drilled them both undersize. I then determined that they were 0.5mm too close, and used a small round file to bring them both outwards. Then when I put the full sized drill through each, they followed the filed down route which bought them back into alignment. Not that I make these small errors regularly
    Thats the way to do it when you work on crappy or worn machinery. I've done some milling on a large professional machine with DRO, and its amazing what good machines can do for your ability to place a hole where you want it to be.
    Too many airguns!

funny you mention DRO.. I'm looking to buy one of the cheap chinese stick on setups to try on my lathes.. will just buy one axis and see what works/doesn't before spending any money.
    Always looking for any cheap, interesting, knackered "project" guns. Thanks, JB.

Will be interesting to hear what you think about it. I dont find DRO as useful on lathes as on milling machines, but that may be because I have less milling experience?
    Too many airguns!

Quote Originally Posted by evert View Post
    Will be interesting to hear what you think about it. I dont find DRO as useful on lathes as on milling machines, but that may be because I have less milling experience?
    Well one of my lathes is now at least a part time mill....

trial fit... slowly getting there... Obviously a bit long at the back, but that was an intentional provision, as it's trivial to trim that off to final fit.

You might beat me to the finish line!
    Too many airguns!

Transfer port also drilled and installed, barrel section opened out with a boring bar, second trial fit after some minor tweaks:

Barrel clearance perfect, parallel with the cylinder...

Just the bolt slots to cut now.. no cocking slot on this gun (rear cocker), although that probably the easiest part. Oh, and the counterbore for the small loading channel screw.

Still debating the aesthetics - I think I'll somewhat square off the sides 1.5 - 2.0 mm, and also open out the top edges of the loading port for easier access.

And the big decision, as it's a pistol.. do I make it LH bolt... ?
    Last edited by Shed tuner; 22-01-2022 at 06:32 PM.

Looking good, JB.

Well done both.
    THE BOINGER BASH AT QUIGLEY HOLLOW. MAKING GREAT MEMORIES SINCE 15th JUNE, 2013.
    NEXT EVENT :- May 4/5, 2024.........BOING!!

Captain Bongo is offline I'm not falling for this again........
    funny you mention DRO.. I'm looking to buy one of the cheap chinese stick on setups to try on my lathes.. will just buy one axis and see what works/doesn't before spending any money.
    You can achieve a lot with the cheap chinese dro setups. Also, a cheap digital caliper and some strong magnets can be very versatile.

This afternoon I found four brand new AS2250 steel breeches in my spares box that I'd forgotten about.

I seem to have also bought a lot of 14" X .22" Crosman barrels over the years.

I take it you know your gun was made in July 1981, Jon ?

All the best Mick

......Still debating the aesthetics - I think I'll somewhat square off the sides 1.5 - 2.0 mm, and also open out the top edges of the loading port for easier access.

And the big decision, as it's a pistol.. do I make it LH bolt... ?
    Coming along nicely, I have to speed up

Been wondering about flat sides myself, theres so much extra material in the 20mm bar i'm using it looks a bit strange.
    Too many airguns!

Quote Originally Posted by T 20 View Post
    I take it you know your gun was made in July 1981, Jon ?
    All the best Mick
    cheers Mick, I knew it was fairly early, but hadn't looked into the date. I even have it's original box

cheers Mick, I knew it was fairly early, but hadn't looked into the date. I even have it's original box
    Hi Jon.

If I'm reading the first 3 letters of the serial number correctly they're 781, so it was made in the seventh month of 81.

Crosman sometimes use a capital letter as the first serial number character for February, September, November and December, but use numbers for the rest for obvious reasons.

All the best Mick