Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Airgun Resurrection.

keith66 is online now Optimisic Pessimist Fella
    Quote Originally Posted by ogilkes View Post
    Webley MkIII redesigned to give full power levels. However, it would be way beyond my price point!
    Thats a Bsa standard with a full stock, trouble is Webley were said to lose a good whack of money every time one went out the door!

My ideal would be a BSA Standard or Imp mod D in a classic stalking rifle stock with a record trigger unit or similar & built in scope mounts.
    I suppose i had better get on with building it before i get too old!

Quote Originally Posted by ogilkes View Post
    Webley MkIII redesigned to give full power levels. However, it would be way beyond my price point!
    Quote Originally Posted by keith66 View Post
    Thats a Bsa standard with a full stock
    Or, ahem, that’s a Diana 58?

keith66 is online now Optimisic Pessimist Fella
    Quote Originally Posted by Geezer View Post
    Or, ahem, that’s a Diana 58?
    Yes i know! I would love one but they are like rocking horse poo.

How about a full power Diana/ Original Model 50

They were beautiful looking guns, made to a wonderful standard, but just low on power in the original form.

I also think for that matter the Falke Model 80/90 underlever could come back. Great guns !!

Lakey

Air gun resurrection

Not as old as those mentioned but still a classic, would have to be the sportsmatch gc2 designed by Gerald cardew and John ford. Still as accurate as today's rifles but so much quality engineering and finish.

Quote Originally Posted by Lakey View Post
    How about a full power Diana/ Original Model 50
    Wasn’t the 45-influenced 50T01 supposed (last word underlined) to be just that, and a bit mediocre?

Interesting that 20-30 years after makers abandoned tap-loaders that so many of us suggest a tap-loader in this very hypothetical exercise. It makes me wonder if there might be scope for an improved tap-loader design based on eg CNC machinery that addresses the flaws of some earlier offerings (probably not?).

Something like a resurrected VZ35 bolt-action ball-firer could be nice, and a lot nicer than the current CO2 and PCP “replicas” of the Kar98K, SMLE, Mosin.

eyebull is offline Even a stopped clock is right twice a day
    Wasn’t the 45-influenced 50T01 supposed (last word underlined) to be just that, and a bit mediocre?

Interesting that 20-30 years after makers abandoned tap-loaders that so many of us suggest a tap-loader in this very hypothetical exercise. It makes me wonder if there might be scope for an improved tap-loader design based on eg CNC machinery that addresses the flaws of some earlier offerings (probably not?).

Something like a resurrected VZ35 bolt-action ball-firer could be nice, and a lot nicer than the current CO2 and PCP “replicas” of the Kar98K, SMLE, Mosin.
    Don't Steyrs and that odd Milbro Matisse thing fire straight from the magazine? Not all that different in principle to a tap loader, although the higher initial pressure of a pcp may help?
    Good deals with these members

The Webley Longbow of course!
    Too many airguns!

Quote Originally Posted by eyebull View Post
    Don't Steyrs and that odd Milbro Matisse thing fire straight from the magazine? Not all that different in principle to a tap loader, although the higher initial pressure of a pcp may help?
    I think so. Interesting comparison. I suspect you have something there, but defer to those more technically informed.

Quote Originally Posted by evert View Post
    The Webley Longbow of course!
    Yes, that’s a very good call. There are very few springer-related questions to which the Longbow is not a good answer.

I owned a 50 T01 for a while. Quality-wise as nice as other late 50's I felt, and the most powerful tap-loader I've had. But decidedly less elegant with the extra bulk, long cocking lever, and recoil.

A plus for tap-loaders is that they are much slimmer and lighter than sliding-breech fixed-barrel designs. I'd love to see a modern take on the concept. I've wondered if a pop-up port as on the classic Hammerli CO2 guns (and the Argentinian FARAC "Super Valiant" ball repeater springer) might be easier to align?
    Last edited by MDriskill; 20-01-2022 at 01:45 PM.

a few improovements on the bsa super ten

I would love a lighter version of the Diana 58 but with all the old school manufacture like attention to detail and why not, a bit of artistic licence and tap loading of course.