Thread: HW95 + Titan No.8 = pain in the arris

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Quote Originally Posted by robs5230 View Post
    In my opinion Titans are too harsh for the majority of springers.

I'd start with one of the HW 3.1 wire springs and go from there.
    I have found exactly the same with these springs, never had a good result from using them, and agree with the suggestion.

Neil
    Current airguns:- Steyr LG110: Steyr LP10: Air Arms HFT500: Weihrauch97 fully customised.

eyebull is offline Even a stopped clock is right twice a day
    Is there a reliable online source for springs which are softer/thinner gauge than HW factory spec?

Perhaps we need more springs branded as 'Sylvanian family' rather than THE TYRANNOSAUR PISTON SMASHER 9000?
    Good deals with these members

Quote Originally Posted by eyebull View Post
    Is there a reliable online source for springs which are softer/thinner gauge than HW factory spec?

Perhaps we need more springs branded as 'Sylvanian family' rather than THE TYRANNOSAUR PISTON SMASHER 9000?
    Have a look in on the Mainspring Data Thread for specs. Exactly why it was conceived.
    THE BOINGER BASH AT QUIGLEY HOLLOW. MAKING GREAT MEMORIES SINCE 15th JUNE, 2013.
    NEXT EVENT :- August 3/4, 2024.........BOING!!

Quote Originally Posted by TonyL View Post
    Have a look in on the Mainspring Data Thread for specs. Exactly why it was conceived.
    Thank you Tony, I'd forgotten about that resource, very handy for cross referencing.
    It would however still be nice to find a supplier of generic springs (not necessarily 'airgun' springs) listed by spec, in case there isn't an off-the-shelf spring for another rifle that corresponds to the one desired.

Our scribbles say your spring should be 235 x 20 x 3 x 29 coil x 34 lb/inch rate
    Titan 8 297 x 40 lb/inch. Cutting coils, as said is going the wrong way.
    The new 10+ could be a match.

Excellent info, sir.
    THE BOINGER BASH AT QUIGLEY HOLLOW. MAKING GREAT MEMORIES SINCE 15th JUNE, 2013.

Thank you Tony, I'd forgotten about that resource, very handy for cross referencing.
    It would however still be nice to find a supplier of generic springs (not necessarily 'airgun' springs) listed by spec, in case there isn't an off-the-shelf spring for another rifle that corresponds to the one desired.
    Once or twice in the past I have done Google searches for spring suppliers and there are plenty to go at. Some suitable for our uses may be available off the shelf, although I guess we'd be very lucky if that were to be the case.

Jim Tyler mentioned on a recent-ish thread that Dr Mike Wright and he once had a batch made up to their specification. I seem to remember that the minimum order number may have been 20 springs or so to make it a cost effective exercise.

Quote Originally Posted by TonyL View Post
    Once or twice in the past I have done Google searches for spring suppliers and there are plenty to go at. Some suitable for our uses may be available off the shelf, although I guess we'd be very lucky if that were to be the case.

Jim Tyler mentioned on a recent-ish thread that Dr Mike Wright and he once had a batch made up to their specification. I seem to remember that the minimum order number may have been 20 springs or so to make it a cost effective exercise.
    I wonder if anyone with industry insight could say if airgun manufacturers buy their springs off the shelf or have them made to spec?
    Could imagine there might be a mix of both, with the budget manufacturers shaving costs by buying off the shelf.

Incidentally found a website yesterday - 'springmasters dot com' that sell a huge array of springs individually, albeit with a minimum order value of £18 (not far off the price of a super dooper airgun spring anyway). Might be worth a look?

I wonder if anyone with industry insight could say if airgun manufacturers buy their springs off the shelf or have them made to spec?
    Could imagine there might be a mix of both, with the budget manufacturers shaving costs by buying off the shelf.

Incidentally found a website yesterday - 'springmasters dot com' that sell a huge array of springs individually, albeit with a minimum order value of £18 (not far off the price of a super dooper airgun spring anyway). Might be worth a look?
    Mike ordered six springs, which he did not ask to be pre-set, or scragged, so the first shot reduced the free length to the point at which we had negative preload. An order for six scragged springs followed, with the then fashionable 3.25mm wire. At this point, I had started to record recoil, and saw the stiff spring with little preload losing efficiency in massive piston bounce. A third order went in for a dozen springs, scragged and from 2.9mm wire. Perfect.

The unit price was around £9 IIRC. The more springs in the order, the lower the unit price, because a good portion of the price of a single spring is in the setting up.