Quote Originally Posted by BTDT View Post
If the wire is 3.3mm, the active coils just 20 then, assuming the spring OD is 20.8mm, the spring is making circa 31 ft. lb. available to the piston, and the only way to keep it legal will be to make it horribly inefficient, which 4mm of preload will do admirably.

Problem is the spring is placing a force well north of 200lbf on the piston at release, so recoil acceleration will be fierce. At the point of piston bounce, the spring will offer in the region of just 10 to 20 lbf to resist piston bounce force probably approaching half a ton, hopelessly inadequate, so mucho surge to add to the impressive recoil.

Jon's right. 3mm to at most 3.1mm wire.
Thanks BTDT, I do not understand the maths involved but the Titan No.8 spring has an OD 20mm, not 20.8mm...

Think I may have given the wrong impression here... the shot cycle/recoil is snappy but not uncontrollable (never said it was!), I can hold a 1" group at 25m and was hitting knockdowns out to 40m with regularity today at the club, even hit the 55y spinners a couple of times (off the bench).

As stated the shot cycle is snappy, I would liken it to that of a gas ram (I have owned a few Theobens and HW90s, so speak from experience)

please correct me if I am wrong - the spring has a finite potential... OK, it is still too much in its current configuration, hence the damn thing keeps going hot especially when more preload is added (or too close for comfort anyway) but if I reduce this springs potential energy still further, then introduce more preload to try to balance out the bounce/slam in the shot cycle, I should reach the point where the gun behaves itself and the shoot cycle/recoil is reduced?...am I wrong?

It is what it is...I have this spring to play with so may as well experiment with it for now.