Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: HW95 + Titan No.8 = pain in the arris

Quote Originally Posted by RobF View Post

And the best way of pulling off that trick is to run the maths, or ask someone that can. Saves a hell of a lot of time, effort and money.

If you have a garden gate then that might be a good use for the titan.
    Fully agree re running the maths rather than relying on good old trial and error. Most can't / won't / are hesitant to try (myself included), but it really would be the way forward. But at least these days there is a decent knowledge pool to dip into.

So, horticultural uses of mainsprings isn't a market cornered solely by the Ox?
    THE BOINGER BASH AT QUIGLEY HOLLOW. MAKING GREAT MEMORIES SINCE 15th JUNE, 2013.
    NEXT EVENT :- May 4/5, 2024.........BOING!!

Quote Originally Posted by Shed tuner View Post

One thing that any 95 owner should do, that will also help with bounce is open up the port a bit - 3.0mm is too small. I'd suggest 3.2 as an absolute minimum, but you may well end up around 3.4 optimally (but don't try and optimise with your current spring setup).
    Fully agree that this will help, JB. And you and others have proven this on many different guns time and again. One day I might overcome my hesitancy and lack of bottle to give it a go......
    THE BOINGER BASH AT QUIGLEY HOLLOW. MAKING GREAT MEMORIES SINCE 15th JUNE, 2013.

Quote Originally Posted by maximus View Post
    . Do you still have the original HW spring? Fitted guides in that should be an improvement. Regards Max
    Absolutely.

A good starting point for tuning any springer, is knowing what you want to achieve.

If the goal is a snappy, harsh, and hold sensitive rifle, the Titan is the right choice of spring.
    B.A.S.C. member

Quote Originally Posted by robs5230 View Post
    A good starting point for tuning any springer, is knowing what you want to achieve.

If the goal is a snappy, harsh, and hold sensitive rifle, the Titan is the right choice of spring.
    Fully agree on the first point, Rob.

However, re the Titan springs, many have enjoyed excellent results using Titan springs, more often than not when choosing a thinner wired option intended for a different model. I have very little first hand experience of them myself, but people like Welsh Willy certainly makes them work in his kits and NickG often successfully uses Titans in his tunes, even some of the narrow bore conversions.

Quote Originally Posted by TonyL View Post
    Fully agree on the first point, Rob.

However, re the Titan springs, many have enjoyed excellent results using Titan springs, more often than not when choosing a thinner wired option intended for a different model. I have very little first hand experience of them myself, but people like Welsh Willy certainly makes them work in his kits and NickG often successfully uses Titans in his tunes, even some of the narrow bore conversions.
    I meant that particular spring that the OP has used. He's gone far enough down the rabbit hole to realise its not suitable.

But I'm no fan of the brand in general.
    OK for running a full fat, 80 or 52, but not my preference for sub12.
    The horse will run without being whipped.
    B.A.S.C. member

In my opinion Titans are too harsh for the majority of springers.

I'd start with one of the HW 3.1 wire springs and go from there.
    I have found exactly the same with these springs, never had a good result from using them, and agree with the suggestion.

Neil
    Current airguns:- Steyr LG110: Steyr LP10: Air Arms HFT500: Weihrauch97 fully customised.

eyebull is offline Even a stopped clock is right twice a day
    Is there a reliable online source for springs which are softer/thinner gauge than HW factory spec?

Perhaps we need more springs branded as 'Sylvanian family' rather than THE TYRANNOSAUR PISTON SMASHER 9000?
    Good deals with these members

I meant that particular spring that the OP has used. He's gone far enough down the rabbit hole to realise its not suitable.

But I'm no fan of the brand in general.
    Gotcha.

Quote Originally Posted by eyebull View Post
    Is there a reliable online source for springs which are softer/thinner gauge than HW factory spec?

Perhaps we need more springs branded as 'Sylvanian family' rather than THE TYRANNOSAUR PISTON SMASHER 9000?
    Have a look in on the Mainspring Data Thread for specs. Exactly why it was conceived.

eyebull is offline Even a stopped clock is right twice a day
    Quote Originally Posted by TonyL View Post
    Have a look in on the Mainspring Data Thread for specs. Exactly why it was conceived.
    Thank you Tony, I'd forgotten about that resource, very handy for cross referencing.
    It would however still be nice to find a supplier of generic springs (not necessarily 'airgun' springs) listed by spec, in case there isn't an off-the-shelf spring for another rifle that corresponds to the one desired.
    Good deals with these members

Our scribbles say your spring should be 235 x 20 x 3 x 29 coil x 34 lb/inch rate
    Titan 8 297 x 40 lb/inch. Cutting coils, as said is going the wrong way.
    The new 10+ could be a match.

Excellent info, sir.

Quote Originally Posted by eyebull View Post
    Thank you Tony, I'd forgotten about that resource, very handy for cross referencing.
    It would however still be nice to find a supplier of generic springs (not necessarily 'airgun' springs) listed by spec, in case there isn't an off-the-shelf spring for another rifle that corresponds to the one desired.
    Once or twice in the past I have done Google searches for spring suppliers and there are plenty to go at. Some suitable for our uses may be available off the shelf, although I guess we'd be very lucky if that were to be the case.

Jim Tyler mentioned on a recent-ish thread that Dr Mike Wright and he once had a batch made up to their specification. I seem to remember that the minimum order number may have been 20 springs or so to make it a cost effective exercise.

Quote Originally Posted by RobF View Post
    It was explained to be like this. Unwind the spring so it’s straight and imagine it like a lever. A shorter one is stiffer, can lift more but requires more effort to be put in. A longer one is softer, will bend and have a limit of what it can lift but requires less effort.
    Quote Originally Posted by Frog View Post
    Interesting way of thinking about it:-)
    Way I visualise it is that it would be a lot easier to compress a 10 foot long spring 6 inches than it would be to compress a 1 foot piece of the same spring 6 inches.
    Thanks for the replies guys, perhaps I have misunderstood these analogies?...but cocking effort is not a consideration for me at this stage.

Quote Originally Posted by maximus View Post
    I'm afraid if you want it to shoot nicely you're going to have to let go of the Titan no. 8. Do you still have the original HW spring? Fitted guides in that should be an improvement although many of us struggle to get the 95 shooting as sweetly as it should do on paper. Regards Max
    Thanks Max, the original spring is S shaped, crunchy on cocking and produces 6.5fpe.

Quote Originally Posted by BTDT View Post
    If you were to carry on reducing the number of coils and preloading to suit, you would just increase the spring stiffness and exaggerate the rapid piston acceleration and bounce, and I think you would risk fairly quickly reaching the point at which the spring went solid and the rifle would not cock.
    Thanks again BTDT, please don't think I'm bloody minded (although I am ) but I am going to carry on with this experiment to find out for myself as I have nothing to loose and the experience to gain in doing so ...but I will be ordering a more suitable spring too.
    blah blah