Thread: BSA Light Pattern tinkering

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

BSA Light Pattern tinkering

Hi,

A few days ago I received my first BSA Light Pattern, from a very kind gentleman on here.
    I thought it would be a nice, compact gun for hours of plinking and target practice fun. I've had a Standard Pattern, but it was a bit long and heavy for me (must go to the gym more often, plans for 2022 ).

Although the gun shot well, I could see that the spring was dry, and the tap didn't say "click".
    So I opened her up.

After having worked on a few slightly frustrating pumpers, this was a piece of cake!
    So easy to disassemble. Only a small amount of preload on the spring.

I have soaked the piston seal in neatsfoot oil for about 24 hours. I'm not sure if it did anything, as power hasn't gone up or down. Luckily there still isn't any dieseling.
    There is a small amount of moly grease on the spring and piston.
    The part that makes the tap click, was stuck. It took about an hour to get it out, but it was worth the effort. I put a new spring in, and a ball bearing. She clicks again!

The trigger is nice. A tiny amount of creep, which I could probably remove by adjusting the trigger weight screw, but I think I'll leave it for now.
    The weight is not too heavy, not too light.

Now the barrel. I have had an Improved Model D Light Model from 1916 with almost completely worn rifling.
    So I was quite afraid to get the same problem.
    On this Light Pattern, the rifling looks ok, but shallow. Apparently this is quite usual?
    The only worry is that the rifling of the last 0,5 cm (quarter inch or so) looks more or less flat at the top of the barrel, but much better at the bottom.
    Not sure how this has happened, and if it will affect accuracy.
    I'm itchiing to test the gun, but must wait as I live in the city and can only shoot during some weekends.

Fingers crossed!

Now the velocity/power.
    - About 167 m/s (548 ft/s) with 7.33 gr JSB. 4,9 ft/lbs
    - About 153 m/s (502 ft/s) with 8.44 gr JSB. 4,7 ft/lbs

The gun shoots a little bit nicer with the lighter pellet, but it's a close call.
    Will probably have to test a few more pellet weights and brands.

Any thoughts are appreciated. Is this ok power? Ideas on the rifling?

The search for a very nice example continues by the way

Many thanks,
    Louis

Last edited by jirushi; 16-01-2022 at 05:20 PM.