Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Is there an ideal weight for spring guns?

I dont believe there is an ideal weight as all rifles are designed different and so is an individuals chosen use.
    I would say balance and user technique trumps weight issues.
    VAYA CON DIOS

Barryg is offline Registered ̶D̶i̶a̶n̶a̶ User
    Quote Originally Posted by robs5230 View Post
    Err they weren't.
    The 97 will go mid teens with ease and is supplied to other markets in that format. Very similar to the 95 in that respect.
    The MK1 and 2 TX, may have been more suited to the UK market, but easily made 14+.
    It depends what you call easy I suppose I wouldn't fancy cranking up an early PS to 14 for sure and I think that those early 77/TXs were much more comfortable at 11 than 14 ft/lbs, I can't see the power hungry going for them.

Hunting - mid weight - by which I mean HW95 as an idea
    Target shooting - heavy by which I mean Hw77 as an idea

Adding Weight / Target stocks etc _
    Personally if to 'win' with a recoiling rifle you add so much weight it hardly recoils, just shoot a pcp maybe - ?
    Probably not going to win any favours by saying this ...

If you are a FT shooter and enjoy firing diablo at stuff a long way away from seated - that's just great - have the heaviest gun / customised etc

I think it's about horses for courses here

For me if I wander round an hft course (I'm not interested in scoring / competing, I just do it for the fun of shooting, and enjoy shooting against myself, and thankfully have a local club where that is fine and dandy, obviously I don't attend on comp days), I prefer a medium weight rifle, as my fun would run out faster as although well built, I can't hold a heavy rifle up for as long as a medium one - I'm sure some folk can - but I honestly haven't met many.
    Looking for TO-6 Trigger unit unmessed with or T0-6 kit for 34

Depends on your needs.

Mechanically, it is not hard to make a 11-14 ft-lbs springer weighing 6-7.5 lbs, unscoped. Webley Vulcan (and variants), BSF 55, FWB Sport, Diana 34, HW85/95/99, Longbow, etc etc. it is also not hard to make much higher power levels at a bit more weight (80, 460, 48/52, Tommie, etc).

Rats in barn is different from bunnies in field, is different from woodies in tree (a bit), is different from HFT, FT, BR…

Quote Originally Posted by Geezer View Post
    Depends on your needs.

Mechanically, it is not hard to make a 11-14 ft-lbs springer weighing 6-7.5 lbs, unscoped. Webley Vulcan (and variants), BSF 55, FWB Sport, Diana 34, HW85/95/99, Longbow, etc etc. it is also not hard to make much higher power levels at a bit more weight (80, 460, 48/52, Tommie, etc).

Rats in barn is different from bunnies in field, is different from woodies in tree (a bit), is different from HFT, FT, BR…
    Yep exactly, and build / strength of user ......

Quote Originally Posted by Barryg View Post
    I noticed that the top springers seem to be about 9 lbs to 9.5 lbs and was wondering if this was the best all-round weight for a spring gun, LGU 9.5 lbs PS 9.47 lbs HW 97 9.2 lbs TX 9.00 lbs.

Break barrels are a bit lighter.

So, is 9-9.5 lbs the ideal weight for a top springer to be at its best?

No there is no ideal weight as too many variables -

Quote Originally Posted by robs5230 View Post
    You don't need weight to calm a shot cycle
    You need to have a word with your "tuner"

I have a 95k here in .177 that shoots as well from a rest, as it does from the hand. No change in POI. Very quick but soft cycle
    I also have a Webley Stingray (albeit in .22) that shoots softer than any 77 I've ever shot, including a Venom lazaglide. This will take 50 yard spinners shot after shot, and stacks pellets at 25 yards. It gives nothing but a mild rearward nudge on firing. I've just had this on the scales. 3.2kg scoped (thats a gnats over 7lb in old money)
    My 95 .177 was done by Steve Pope, its very smooth and plenty fast enough. Its the design of the rifle and stock that make it cheek weld sensitive. Its a rifle that certainly wants to do pellet on pellet and shoots to where pointed. Its keeping it pointed at the spot long enough for the pellet to have left the barrel every time that isn't so easy. And thats the issue with all springers.
    Anything with a massive spring in isn't going to be "dead" like a PCP. Just too much physical activity going on. Why I use the term "live" with springers.

Weight will dampen movement. The stock fit to body shape can matter to keeping the physics staying in line. Some rifles will not behave well from being bench rested.

And then there is the artillery hold sledge method of hold. Not all springers manage such a light hold, and do require a firmer grip. Though any grip needs to be repeatable.
    This all goes to make springers interesting. Finding how to get the most out of them, and hold them there on target in all positions. Have one position and its easy enough to repeat. Have several and not all rifles will hold it there without making hold adjustments.
    Occasionally you get a rifle that is just great and very forgiving. Those I keep. Often two exact same model rifles don't behave the same. I've had loads of FWB Sports and non are the same, though most I get "there".

A lot is getting familiar with a rifle.

I once had a CO2 Ratcatcher which is feather weight. So light weight it was hard to keep steady. The trigger wasn't great that added to the problem of keeping it steady. It was accurate enough.
    Heck a .17HMR is more forgiving than a .22LR in the same model of rifle. The .17HMR is that bit faster leaving little time for outside influences to happen. 12ft/lbs air rifles take an age for the pellet to leave the barrel so very demanding that the shooter doesn't influence anything until it has. Design, action, smoothness, trigger, and length of barrel, all add to the end result of how forgiving they might be.

The last two influences are the sights, and conditions on the day. Having a good sight picture will tighten the potential of group size. Getting a rifle to shoot with you straight is the start point to then take on the conditions of the day. 15m from the barrel, unless the calmest of days, conditions start to count at 12ft/lbs velocities. Which is why I zero on calm days, and then shoot to conditions from that start line.
    Get proficient with a springer makes shooting anything much else child's play; which is why I love shooting them.

Barryg is offline Registered ̶D̶i̶a̶n̶a̶ User
    Quote Originally Posted by PCPShooter View Post
    No there is no ideal weight as too many variables -
    Fair enough I guess it just happens to be a coincidence that top flag ship springers and most competition winners are not made lighter or more heavy than 9-9.5lbs by manufacturers because we know they can make lighter big underlevers.

eyebull is offline Even a stopped clock is right twice a day
    Quote Originally Posted by Barryg View Post
    Fair enough I guess it just happens to be a coincidence that top flag ship springers and most competition winners are not made lighter or more heavy than 9-9.5lbs by manufacturers because we know they can make lighter big underlevers.
    If they made them any heavier then no bugger could lift them!
    Good deals with these members

But then again no one can complain they can't hit a barn door with one.
    Its difficult to make a light weight rifle as forgiving as a heavy weight.

All good comments and none are right nor wrong, personally I think the weight of the gun is suited to the person shooting it, I have heavy springers LGV and LGUs and have owned 99s in the past….
    The 99s have gone and the LGUs remain, not because they are “better” because they suit ME better, a rifle is as personal to a shooter as you can get! And ones man’s chalk is another’s cheese! The challenge is finding what suits you and only you.

PS that applies to hunting and target shooting I use my Walthers for both….

Just my thoughts

This reminds me of which is better HW80 or 95 thread from years ago that went on, and on, and on

Diana 280 is pretty good and weighed in about 7lbs iirc…..

Quote Originally Posted by Waltherfan View Post
    All good comments and none are right nor wrong, personally I think the weight of the gun is suited to the person shooting it, I have heavy springers LGV and LGUs and have owned 99s in the past….
    The 99s have gone and the LGUs remain, not because they are “better” because they suit ME better, a rifle is as personal to a shooter as you can get! And ones man’s chalk is another’s cheese! The challenge is finding what suits you and only you.

PS that applies to hunting and target shooting I use my Walthers for both….

Just my thoughts
    Pretty much hit the nail on the head buddy, my 95k including scope and mounts weighs 7.99lbs which is probably slightly on the heavy side for my liking (prefer something 7-7.5) currently need to tip the balance forward a touch to help keep the nose from wavering...

As with everything it all boils down to personal preference...
    .22 S410...
    .22 Webley Xocet...
    .22 HW95k...

Herx77 is offline "Instruments of the light"
    By loading more weight are you sacrificing technique and changing a springer response to that of a clone of a pcp and decreasing inertial response.
    Good technique allows you to shoot hairy springers that are light and responsive, eg FWB 124!
    HERX77 .
    Fighter against the "Dark Arts" A stranger in an even stranger land.
    GC2+Leupold 14.4-34x45
    AA400 fac receiver+sidewinder 8.5-34x52
    Weihrauch HW77k fiddled with and doing what it wants to +Zeiss 3-9x36.
    Weihrauch HW90k
    Weihrauch HW97k learning from above,now sporting a Maccarri 77/97 target stock..+Bushnell 3200.Go on shoot one you know you want to
    Daystate mk3 RT Delux + bushnell 4200 8-24x 40Does what it should again & again.
    Fwb 124 + Optima was good is good!
    Webley Vulcan.