Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Is there an ideal weight for spring guns?

Barryg is offline Registered ̶D̶i̶a̶n̶a̶ User

Is there an ideal weight for spring guns?

I noticed that the top springers seem to be about 9 lbs to 9.5 lbs and was wondering if this was the best all-round weight for a spring gun, LGU 9.5 lbs PS 9.47 lbs HW 97 9.2 lbs TX 9.00 lbs.

Break barrels are a bit lighter.

So, is 9-9.5 lbs the ideal weight for a top springer to be at its best?

All the guns you mention are over 9+lbs ,probably 10+ with a scope and mounts fitted.
    Those heavier springer’s generally absorb the recoil better.
    Unfortunately some people will find them to heavy for unsupported shooting.
    I have the hw97 and Tx200 and wouldn’t want them to be any heavier.
    My Webley Tomahawk and bsa superstar are about 8lbs unscoped and are a nice weight for me.
    If the springer is to light and full 12fp they can be a bit twitchy.
    Les..

If you look at any of the top FT spring gun shooters they add as much weight as possible to them to make them shoot better, both on the barrel to stop movement and as much weight in the stock to do the same.
    They're are usually between 11-14lbs all up, but then again they can put them down between lanes , which is a bit different to jumping a ditch with one. For everyday use I would say you need to be keeping up around 9/10 lbs.
    BASC

Hw95l

My scoped HW95L .22 weighs 9 lbs 3 oz.

Quote Originally Posted by les allam View Post
    All the guns you mention are over 9+lbs ,probably 10+ with a scope and mounts fitted.
    Those heavier springer’s generally absorb the recoil better.
    Unfortunately some people will find them to heavy for unsupported shooting.
    I have the hw97 and Tx200 and wouldn’t want them to be any heavier.
    My Webley Tomahawk and bsa superstar are about 8lbs unscoped and are a nice weight for me.
    If the springer is to light and full 12fp they can be a bit twitchy.
    Les..
    Quote Originally Posted by DEAN C. View Post
    If you look at any of the top FT spring gun shooters they add as much weight as possible to them to make them shoot better, both on the barrel to stop movement and as much weight in the stock to do the same.
    They're are usually between 11-14lbs all up, but then again they can put them down between lanes , which is a bit different to jumping a ditch with one. For everyday use I would say you need to be keeping up around 9/10 lbs.
    Yep, it's a balance between absorbing recoil / tuning shooting manners and portability, so very much dependant on usage and also the build of the user.
    THE BOINGER BASH AT QUIGLEY HOLLOW. MAKING GREAT MEMORIES SINCE 15th JUNE, 2013.
    NEXT EVENT :- May 4/5, 2024.........BOING!!

Quote Originally Posted by Barryg View Post

So, is 9-9.5 lbs the ideal weight for a top springer to be at its best?
    Not in my book (as someone who shoots standing)

The majority of springers, are made to service far higher power markets than we have here. The power requirements for these markets, demands a rifle of the capacity to meet those requirements. Within reason, this means a larger heavier rifle to account for the powerplants they use.
    By design, underlevers also carry extra weight due to the cocking system.
    By default, most top end springers that are available in the UK are far heavier than they need to be. We're simply awash with what the market is presenting us with.

The extra weight may well deaden some of the recoil, but a well tuned rifle doesn't need to be that weight
    B.A.S.C. member

Very good point, Rob, and the HW99 illustrates this thinking perfectly.

Nice and lightweight, portable and easy to use all day yet stable on aim. The swept volume is nigh-on ideal for the UK power limit, delivering svelte dimensions yet combined with a firing cycle that embarrasses many more expensive guns.

And the owner always has the option of further customisation / adding / re-distributing weight, if desired with custom stocks, barrel weights and sleeves etc.
    THE BOINGER BASH AT QUIGLEY HOLLOW. MAKING GREAT MEMORIES SINCE 15th JUNE, 2013.
    NEXT EVENT :- May 4/5, 2024.........BOING!!

Quote Originally Posted by TonyL View Post
    Very good point, Rob, and the HW99 illustrates this thinking perfectly.

Nice and lightweight, portable and easy to use all day yet stable on aim. The swept volume is nigh-on ideal for the UK power limit, delivering svelte dimensions yet combined with a firing cycle that embarrasses many more expensive guns.

And the owner always has the option of further customisation / adding / re-distributing weight, if desired with custom stocks, barrel weights and sleeves etc.
    Yep.
    I was going to cite the 99 as an example for the reasons you've just quoted.
    B.A.S.C. member

Barryg is offline Registered ̶D̶i̶a̶n̶a̶ User
    Quote Originally Posted by robs5230 View Post
    Not in my book (as someone who shoots standing)

The majority of springers, are made to service far higher power markets than we have here. The power requirements for these markets, demands a rifle of the capacity to meet those requirements. Within reason, this means a larger heavier rifle to account for the powerplants they use.
    By design, underlevers also carry extra weight due to the cocking system.
    By default, most top end springers that are available in the UK are far heavier than they need to be. We're simply awash with what the market is presenting us with.

The extra weight may well deaden some of the recoil, but a well tuned rifle doesn't need to be that weight
    I agree Rob, but the guns that I mentioned were ordinally designed for around 12 ft/lbs and guns like the 99 were for juniors it was the 95 or D34 that was classed as a light weight adult gun, but it does seem most of the top springers are 9-9.5 lbs don't you think even the BB LGV is 9.3 lb, that's why I was wondering if that weight was the best weight for springers

I like rifle combos that are under 8lbs, 7.5 ideally. Thats because I do a lot of shooting standing unsupported.
    However, to get good behaviour with a spring action, however well tuned, really demands closer to 9lbs. The great HW77 starts at 8.5lbs, and the TX200 at least that; and then add a scope. They are far more forgiving for it.

Quote Originally Posted by Barryg View Post
    I agree Rob, but the guns that I mentioned were ordinally designed for around 12 ft/lbs and guns like the 99 were for juniors it was the 95 or D34 that was classed as a light weight adult gun, but it does seem most of the top springers are 9-9.5 lbs don't you think even the BB LGV is 9.3 lb, that's why I was wondering if that weight was the best weight for springers
    Err they weren't.
    The 97 will go mid teens with ease and is supplied to other markets in that format. Very similar to the 95 in that respect.
    The MK1 and 2 TX, may have been more suited to the UK market, but easily made 14+. The longer stroked mk3, made them even more popular with overseas markets as the larger swept volume means more ME can be eeked out of them to appeal to the power hungry.

The 99 is a very odd one out. As you pointed out, the 50 (99 is the model identifier used for the UK market) was really aimed at the junior market, but the powerplant is almost perfect for UK sub12, hence its popularity here.

So taking the 99 (and the 57) out of the equation, we're right back to my first comment.
    We're stuck with what we've been presented with. The powerplant capability sort of dictates size and weight.

I'd rather have a lightweight well tuned break barrel for my free standing shots, than a hernia inducing 10lb plus offering
    I spent years lugging TX's and 80's around shooting permissions. Now I shoot smarter not harder.
    You don't need a sledgehammer to crack a nut
    B.A.S.C. member

Quote Originally Posted by Muskett View Post
    I like rifle combos that are under 8lbs, 7.5 ideally. Thats because I do a lot of shooting standing unsupported.
    However, to get good behaviour with a spring action, however well tuned, really demands closer to 9lbs. The great HW77 starts at 8.5lbs, and the TX200 at least that; and then add a scope. They are far more forgiving for it.
    You don't need weight to calm a shot cycle
    You need to have a word with your "tuner"

I have a 95k here in .177 that shoots as well from a rest, as it does from the hand. No change in POI. Very quick but soft cycle
    I also have a Webley Stingray (albeit in .22) that shoots softer than any 77 I've ever shot, including a Venom lazaglide. This will take 50 yard spinners shot after shot, and stacks pellets at 25 yards. It gives nothing but a mild rearward nudge on firing. I've just had this on the scales. 3.2kg scoped (thats a gnats over 7lb in old money)
    B.A.S.C. member

My TX weighs a ton..however, the perfect weight for a field gun for me was a FWB 124 with a 4x32 on it.
    "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote!" -- Benjamin Franklin

I definitely find it easier shooting my hw99s and Webley Longbow in unsopported shooting.
    Les.

Quote Originally Posted by robs5230 View Post
    You don't need weight to calm a shot cycle
    You need to have a word with your "tuner"

I have a 95k here in .177 that shoots as well from a rest, as it does from the hand. No change in POI. Very quick but soft cycle
    I also have a Webley Stingray (albeit in .22) that shoots softer than any 77 I've ever shot, including a Venom lazaglide. This will take 50 yard spinners shot after shot, and stacks pellets at 25 yards. It gives nothing but a mild rearward nudge on firing. I've just had this on the scales. 3.2kg scoped (thats a gnats over 7lb in old money)
    Well the old Uk Webleys pretty much had the ideal set up for uk power in 22 …….same sweep from Excel through Stingrays including all the Vulcans
    Looking for TO-6 Trigger unit unmessed with or T0-6 kit for 34