Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Is there an ideal weight for spring guns?

Quote Originally Posted by Herx77 View Post
    By loading more weight are you sacrificing technique and changing a springer response to that of a clone of a pcp and decreasing inertial response.
    Good technique allows you to shoot hairy springers that are light and responsive, eg FWB 124!
    HERX77 .
    My LGR disagrees, heavy as hell and a beauty! Each to their own

(Admittedly pneumatic but still a tank)

A heavy springer can easily match a lighter gun in the right hands (that suit) obviously, I actually find a light gun harder to shoot (all over the place) I prefer heavy……again each to their own.
    Last edited by Waltherfan; 21-01-2022 at 09:33 PM.

Very much depends on use and user. For shooting rested, heavyweight or balance is not important.
    When you shoot standing, you good a weight and balance that is good for you.
    I had a Walther LGV very shortly. Sold it as it was too heavy for me.
    For standing I like my Stoeger ATACs best. They have great weight, balance and ergonomics, even with scope.
    Before I had these, I used Gamos for standing (but these are lighter than Stoeger and less stockfit for me) or my Stingray carbine.
    ATB,
    yana

Herx77 is offline "Instruments of the light"
    Quote Originally Posted by Waltherfan View Post
    My LGR disagrees, heavy as hell and a beauty! Each to their own

(Admittedly pneumatic but still a tank)

A heavy springer can easily match a lighter gun in the right hands (that suit) obviously, I actually find a light gun harder to shoot (all over the place) I prefer heavy……again each to their own.
    Looking at the posting again I should have made it clearer I meant the heavier the gun the better the damping is. Lighter, the gun will move more, and therefore more technique is required. Certainly there is a huge difference between what is needed to achieve high scores when you compare my Hw77, Hw97 and Fwb124. Never the less the enjoyment remains the same.
    HERX77 .
    Fighter against the "Dark Arts" A stranger in an even stranger land.
    GC2+Leupold 14.4-34x45
    AA400 fac receiver+sidewinder 8.5-34x52
    Weihrauch HW77k fiddled with and doing what it wants to +Zeiss 3-9x36.
    Weihrauch HW90k
    Weihrauch HW97k learning from above,now sporting a Maccarri 77/97 target stock..+Bushnell 3200.Go on shoot one you know you want to
    Daystate mk3 RT Delux + bushnell 4200 8-24x 40Does what it should again & again.
    Fwb 124 + Optima was good is good!
    Webley Vulcan.

Springer weight

Quote Originally Posted by Barryg View Post
    I noticed that the top springers seem to be about 9 lbs to 9.5 lbs and was wondering if this was the best all-round weight for a spring gun, LGU 9.5 lbs PS 9.47 lbs HW 97 9.2 lbs TX 9.00 lbs.

Break barrels are a bit lighter.

So, is 9-9.5 lbs the ideal weight for a top springer to be at its best?

Surely it depends on what the intended use is. If its FT/HFT weight is not such problem with a heavy springer as most shots are taken prone or seated. If it is hunting then the lighter rifle is appropriate.
    My Diana springers a 48 and a 460 weigh 11.5lbs scoped and are target guns.
    When I hunt I pick a lighter gun usually an old scoped and silenced PCP Titan that weighs in at under 7lbs. It's horses for courses.

edbear2 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by TonyL View Post
    Yep, it's a balance between absorbing recoil / tuning shooting manners and portability, so very much dependant on usage and also the build of the user.
    I have a bad back and struggle but still filled my stock on my bell target TX with weights (11.2 pounds!) to calm it down and reduce the effect of breathing /wobbles when shooting standing unsupported.

If I haven't let the shot go by 7 seconds or so I have to put the thing down!

Interestingly over the years have seen two Lincoln / prewar BSA rifles with the cocking levers full of lead, and lead in the stock to re-balance, so even way back some folk were liking a heavier gun (one had a drilled piston too!...there is nowt new under the sun).

ATB, Ed