Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Plastic?

Plastic?

I've noticed the tolerance on here for plastic is low. I totally agree. I understand why manufacturers have used it for economy but would always rather pay a bit more myself.

Otherwise, I can just about tolerate plastic on metal triggers where the point is to keep cold metal away from warm fingers, but that's about it!

I can live with the early type of plastic - bakelite - though I always prefer horn or wood.

I'm fine with steel casting and machined steel. On a sliding scale, my least preferred material is plastic or ABS, then pot metal, then lightweight alloy, then brass, then steel.

Vintage Airguns Gallery
    ..Above link posted with permission from Gareth W-B
    In British slang an anorak is a person who has a very strong interest in niche subjects.

I just detest anything that self destructs over time, or in the sunlight. Such horrid materials have crept in over the years, though it started a good while back.

eyebull is offline Even a stopped clock is right twice a day
    It can be a fantastic material for stocks, when done right (thinking in particular of the superb synthetic stocks that used to be on the BSA Ultra and Lightning), or on some contact parts, but I generally don't want to see it anywhere near actions or mechanisms.
    I think I dislike mazak and other pot metals more intensely though. Hateful stuff.
    Good deals with these members

May hatred of plastics probably stems from how it seemed to overtake America airguns over time, especially Crosman. It’s probably why my collection now is focused on prewar. But even then the rare Tell 3 pistol grip just doesn’t make it for me. Thus the Haenel 28R is held in higher esteem in my camp? (Forgot it’s my emoji)

Norwich 'A Fine City' (unless you're a driver)
    I quite like ABS or synthetic stocks for specific use purposes, but plastic sights and especially plastic triggers (shuuder) are abominations. That said I do own a few cheap rifles encased in plastic, mainly because I wanted to see how they worked. Particularly fond of a Stoeger silencer model, but overall nothing beats nice wood and steel - and a bit of alloy.

I think I too dislike Zamak more than plastic (at least good plastic). With use, it has the robustness of a Pringle.

Have issues with castings as well. I know the love out there for the Crosman 600 but castings just doesn’t make it for me.

Norwich 'A Fine City' (unless you're a driver)
    So what we mostly want is an old guy in a brown coat with half moon glasses, beautifully cutting bar stock into marvels of the machinists art, while his almost identical colleague hand finishes walnut stocks all to make a rifle costing a couple of hundred quid?

Quote Originally Posted by 45flint View Post
    Have issues with castings as well. I know the love out there for the Crosman 600 but castings just doesn’t make it for me.
    It’s fine except where it obviously will break when used for stress-bearing parts. Which is sadly too true with many guns. The 600 appears not to be one of those.

Quote Originally Posted by Geezer View Post
    It’s fine except where it obviously will break when used for stress-bearing parts. Which is sadly too true with many guns. The 600 appears not to be one of those.
    Hear hear,
    If it makes something affordable without compromising on durability I’m all for it.
    When it comes to air pistols it’s not all about polished milled forged steel (although that is lovely)

Matt

Woven carbon could be the ideal material right now that can only be appreciated over a long period of time. It is lightweight, many times stronger than steel, black through and through and does not rust.

Quote Originally Posted by ogilkes View Post
    So what we mostly want is an old guy in a brown coat with half moon glasses, beautifully cutting bar stock into marvels of the machinists art, while his almost identical colleague hand finishes walnut stocks all to make a rifle costing a couple of hundred quid?
    I think you've hit the nail squarely on the head! Certainly a better image than someone in a far away country in a faded and worn Coca-Cola tee shirt, fake Levi's and flip flops flicking the switch on an injection moulding machine!

I think synthetics have their place when it comes to AR style tactical rifles but not on vintage arms, where quality and style are beautifully shown off in wood and steel.

John M
    Currently looking for Baikal Makarov pistols with the following prefixes to the serial number: 98, T01, T09, T21, T22
    Prefer boxed or cased but will consider loose examples too.

ggggr is offline part time super hero and seeker of justice
    MILBRO COUGAR
    Cooler than Mace Windu with a FRO, walking into Members Only and saying "Bitches, be cool"

Plastic, well that's a big range of materials .

Definately don't like the soft feel type of plastic that degrades to a tacky surface. Don't like puny thin walled barrels in plastic sleeves, but some plastics have their uses, theres piston washers, o rings all manner of seals in PCP or CO2 designs. They seem to wear out after varying times though. Then theres the top hats made of delrin etc.anyone want to ditch theres? Mazak not too good. Someone said they weren't keen on castings, fair enough but theres al. castings in the FWB 65, that's not a bad pistol. Whether that's because or despite the castings who knows.
    Brass was mentioned too, take that out & theres a few PCP fittings gone.

So what are we left with, steel, wood, leather. Ah well only one thing to do then, build pre war BSA's. That'll do