Thread: What is my Labradar Chronograph worth.

What is my Labradar Chronograph worth.

I've got one of these that I don't use any more as due to osteoarthritis I don't shoot seriously these days but just plink around and have fun. I've owned the Labradar from new and brought it from March in the UK along with the Airgun Trigger Adapter. From memory they are all but £700 all in now and I'd appreciate suggestions as to how much I should post it up for once I've taken a few piccies of it. I've not seen one offered for sale before so have little to go on except for a few opinions off here please.

Thanks, Vic Thompson.

https://www.marchscopes.co.uk/product/labradar/

https://www.marchscopes.co.uk/produc...r-accessories/

Jesim1 is offline Likes to wear driving gloves in the bedroom
    I have never seen one for sale - ever - so it's going to be a total case of pot luck price wise, and if someone needs one, you will sell it. With other Chronos like the FX only being £150, and even the Skan being a bit over £200, I'd be surprised if you get back half price TBH, but like I've said, they are rare, so you may get that one person who wants one and will pay for it?

I'd stick it up at £400 and see what interest you get, you can always come down in price if it hangs around
    Making a mockery of growing old gracefully since I retired

I bought mine used at an auction, and the summary of that the few i´ve seen up for grabs is that they´re fairly expensive second hand too.
    I guess due them being offered as rarely as they are.

Difference in currency but i believe i ended up just shy of 6000 Swedish crowns and that translates to approx 450£.
    Got mine with the base and a condenser mic, to work with lower powered guns.

As i work on loads of antique guns the LabRadar was the only viable option really. Of course had "older" chronos since previous but.. the LabRadar is a whole different ballgame.

As you learn to work it it is an absolute fantastic tool.

The best way to provide any details regarding its operating technique is to provide a link to a Labradar dealers page which has lots of explanatory info on it :

https://www.sportingservices.co.uk/c...ducts/labradar

In Layman's terms a Labradar Unit "tracks the downrange flight" of a "projectile" using a Doppler Radar Technique (it determines the difference in frequency between a transmitted Radar signal and the return radar signal) at a fairly high sampling frequency which it then converts to projectile velocity at measured distances (distance being calculated at the same time as the Doppler measurements). Algorithms then extrapolate these measurements back to the firing point to give short range extrapolated velocity values as well as longer distance measured values. The unit can trigger off the Doppler returns or trigger off the muzzle retort and operates independently of lighting conditions. No skyscreen is needed. Maximum downrange measurement distance depends on the Scenario of the day but for some types of airgun pellet downrange distances of 35yards can be achieved with longer distances achievable for rim and centrefire. The unit can measure various types of projectile (refer to the Labradar spec page) and in my books is very versatile.

IMHO the unit once set up accurately provides downrange velocity measurements (vs distance/time) which can be recorded at the time of firing and then downloaded and analysed at any later point.

It's an expensive unit but in my books a sophisticated one as well, hence the cost.

From my point of view getting £500 back on it would be nice, but it's other peoples valuation opinion that I really want as its secondhand cost limits its desirability to that of the serious shooter/organisation that can justify the spend.

Vic T

Quote Originally Posted by Vic Thompson View Post

From my point of view getting £500 back on it would be nice, but it's other peoples valuation opinion that I really want as its secondhand cost limits its desirability to that of the serious shooter/organisation that can justify the spend.

Vic T

Depends what kit you have with it (like the mic for quiet rifles) but they're only just over £600 new still.

One did go for £525 on the bay last month, but then you'd probably not see that after the 12% rake and postage costs.

I'd suggest £400-450 would be where you may end up depending on what you have to go with it and how much/quickly you want to sell it. If it hangs around for long then either the bay or reducing the price further might be what happens.

Best price I've seen my set up for is just shy of £700 but I'd appreciate links to cheaper ones if anyone knows of them, just for completeness.

Thanks, Vic Thompson.

Best price I've seen my set up for is just shy of £700 but I'd appreciate links to cheaper ones if anyone knows of them, just for completeness.

Thanks, Vic Thompson.
    https://www.1967spud.com/shop/chronographs/labradar/ £620

https://www.marchscopes.co.uk/product/labradar/ £640

and if you search for sold items on the bay the other one will show up

March do my kit for £692, but when looking a couple of days ago I couldn't find anyone else with them in stock (all from memory). The E Bay one that I found was £495, but I'd really want to maximise my return on it as whatever it sells for is going to a lot less than what it cost me.

At the end of the day I'll be realistic as regards whatever it goes for as I'm too old and doddery to worry too much about using it myself.

A friend of mine suggested that one way of getting your hands on a cheap one is to get one in the US when taking a short break, the savings go some way towards the cost of the flight..

Vic Thompson.
    Last edited by Vic Thompson; 12-02-2022 at 06:00 PM.

March do my kit for £692, but when looking a couple of days ago I couldn't find anyone else with them in stock (all from memory). The E Bay one that I found was £495, but I'd really want to maximise my return on it as whatever it sells for is going to a lot less than what it cost me.

At the end of the day I'll be realistic as regards whatever it goes for as I'm too old and doddery to worry too much about using it myself.

A friend of mine suggested that one way of getting your hands on a cheap one is to get one in the US when taking a short break, the savings go some way towards the cost of the flight..

Vic Thompson.
    You do have to be wary (if you worry about that sort of thing) that the US versions are higher power than the UK ones. I presume it's because there's a statutory limit on radio/radar emissions without a license here. I doubt the difference is going see a320's lining up to approach the garden though.

I'm been looking at something like this or the MagnetoSpeed. I've used a LabRadar a fair few times and it can be difficult to get a reading - my club has one.

My mate who is a very experienced shooter/RFD had one a week or so ago on a practice day. He got 10 consecutive readings from his own rifle but when I tried, under his supervision ie where to keep the muzzle etc, it only picked up 3 shots out of the 10 I fired. I think the recoil trigger is essential and I don't know if the 'airgun' one you mentioned would be suitable for full bore.

The MagnetoSpeed I tried later picked up every shot and as it was attached to an extension of the side picatinny rail, there was no issue with it being on the barrel and potentially affecting the zero. And they are around £400 new. A more sensible price, IMHO than the Labradar. So I think the £400 someone has already suggested is probably about right - depending on getting someone who is keen to pay this.

Another mate has the US version and when I shoot it,(obviously in the US,) it needs less careful aiming, and being more powerful - I've heard 40% more powerful - had better results. The US and Australia have the 'higher power' versions but the European ones are throttled due I've heard to EU emissions regulations.

The Labradar downrange velocity measurements allow for direct calculation of BC, that to me is a useful feature. Regarding triggering, not something that I've had a problem with, and I've tried mine with and without the external trigger unit and from memory, trigger Level is User Adjustable anyway (but I can't remember what my unit settings are anyway). Regarding power output, from memory the UK version is Factory set to 3mW, the US version to 5mW which I believe gives about 30% more range (again from memory). Using my unit I've tracked rimfire velocities out to say 50mtrs but can't remember what maximum measured distance I achieved on the 100x range. With a Labradar you can review "pseudo raw data" and modify corrupted data points (if present and if deemed to be useful) and then carry out a recalculation process which allow generation of "optimum" readings.

It's a unit with a performance that I rate, but I understand fully that it's not for everyone and in any case, is priced at the top end of the market for what a lot of users would really want it for.

Vic Thompson.

Hello to All,

I have used the Magnetospeed & LabRadar chronos extensively ( for centrefire & rimfire rifles/pistols ), and for me, much prefer the LabRadar.

Have fun

Best regards

Russ