Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Opening up HW95k transfer port

Near Wimbledon, SW London, or Lusaka, Zambia
    do you not have electicity ?
    Always looking for any cheap, interesting, knackered "project" guns. Thanks, JB.

eyebull is offline Even a stopped clock is right twice a day
    Quote Originally Posted by Shed tuner View Post
    do you not have electicity ?
    Not at the bottom of the garden where the targets are, no...

Reaming has gone well - if anyone is thinking of doing this then check the lengths of the reamers before you buy them; mine were 70 and 75mm and *only just* long enough to get to the end of the TP when using a tap holder.
    Piston seal is the old type and as suspected completely shagged. Currently doing a thorough job of deburring and degreasing. Can't find my wd40 brand degreaser but isopropyl alcohol is doing a good job of it.
    Good deals with these members

cool. Yes, a slim headed tap holder helps get in between the jaws.
    Always looking for any cheap, interesting, knackered "project" guns. Thanks, JB.

Now back together and after running through two dozen pellets to warm it up it settled in at 10.86 ft/lb with jsb exacts. Happy with that.
    I'd expect that to creep up a few points of a foot pound after a while and of course heading into summer and warmer ambient temp. I like to have a ft/lbish of clearance as there can be as much as 2 ft/lb difference between the lightest and heaviest pellets IME.

Very well behaved shot cycle now and appears to have increased in useable accuracy though tbh my rifle skills have atrophied so a bit of practice is on the cards. Next week will have to do for that.

For reference this is with TP reamed out to 3.5mm, new piston and breech seal, TBT nose extension, stock spring with nylon/delrin top hat I can't remember if stock, from TBT or UKneil, ditto for steel shim inside piston. No extra preload washers. Light touch with the moly.

Encouraged by all this, have given thought to giving my .25 hassan the same treatment.

if you share the specs on the hatsan, I can probably provide some educated starting points. Stroke, bore, piston weight, tp length and bore...

Thumbs up

if you share the specs on the hatsan, I can probably provide some educated starting points. Stroke, bore, piston weight, tp length and bore...
    Will do

Quote Originally Posted by eyebull View Post
    Now back together and after running through two dozen pellets to warm it up it settled in at 10.86 ft/lb with jsb exacts. Happy with that.
    I'd expect that to creep up a few points of a foot pound after a while and of course heading into summer and warmer ambient temp. I like to have a ft/lbish of clearance as there can be as much as 2 ft/lb difference between the lightest and heaviest pellets IME.

Very well behaved shot cycle now and appears to have increased in useable accuracy though tbh my rifle skills have atrophied so a bit of practice is on the cards. Next week will have to do for that.

For reference this is with TP reamed out to 3.5mm, new piston and breech seal, TBT nose extension, stock spring with nylon/delrin top hat I can't remember if stock, from TBT or UKneil, ditto for steel shim inside piston. No extra preload washers. Light touch with the moly.

Encouraged by all this, have given thought to giving my .25 hassan the same treatment.
    Sounding good. Well done.
    THE BOINGER BASH AT QUIGLEY HOLLOW. MAKING GREAT MEMORIES SINCE 15th JUNE, 2013.
    NEXT EVENT :- May 4/5, 2024.........BOING!!

Looks like you are getting there with it.
    Just keep an eye on power with lighter pellets like jsb rs and express.
    mine was slightly oversprung using the factory hw spring giving lower power with the lighter pellets.
    Easy to cut a coil off the spring if this happens though.

...Very well behaved shot cycle now and appears to have increased in useable accuracy though tbh my rifle skills have atrophied so a bit of practice is on the cards. Next week will have to do for that...
    Had a lovely morning/afternoon plinking in the sun and accuracy does indeed seem to be sorted. Luckily the neighbor was raising a racket with his collection of gardening machines which covers up the sound nicely ...
    I definitely need more practice though. Now the nicer weather is here and I have a garden again its time to build those skills back up.
    Also pulled out a few other toys; the dinky little Webley Jaguar, a Gem - my new favorite vintage gun - that I bought from here for a friend but has now fallen to me, and checked zero on the Skan after replacing a probe o-ring. Will never get bored of that pump action

so it's calmer and easier to shoot accurately ? I mean, it should be, but it nice when it works in practice too

so it's calmer and easier to shoot accurately ? I mean, it should be, but it nice when it works in practice too
    Yes, it's much better, holds sight picture well and I tried it from a few different positions and it didn't seem hold sensitive, within the limits of springers of course.
    It's not a magic bullet - it's still a light .177 carbine at full chat and not a heavy target rifle like the LGV - but I would take this out hunting now. After some more practice.

One thing I did change from last week is put a HW mod with a weight inside rather than the heavy steel mod I had on before. About the same weight, but more effective moderation.

Quote Originally Posted by Racing View Post
    In all honesty i fail to see the absolute "need" for a reamer in the application.
    Just drill the thing out and be done with it i say.

Difference in performance is about nil to all deadly ppl.
    Correct! It’s a hole open it up! Really is simple as that! I’ve done dozens? Don’t make an easy job difficult?

Quote Originally Posted by Waltherfan View Post
    Correct! It’s a hole open it up! Really is simple as that! I’ve done dozens? Don’t make an easy job difficult?
    the difference is in the flow characteristics caused by the rougher surface finish. the rougher port will flow like a smaller port at high air speeds, but provide less cushioning than a port actually of that equivalent size. if you are just looking for an improvement, you problably wont notice. if you are looking to get things just right, and you have some expertise is what that means, and how to measure it, you will.

so if you don't notice the difference, then by definition the drill is the right tool for you.

The reamer did an extremely tidy job that isnt comparable to what youd get with a drill, for frankly little effort.
    I work with metal and drill a few holes in a given day. None of them look like the inside of that transfer port. Reamer is the tool for the job.

The reamer did an extremely tidy job that isnt comparable to what youd get with a drill, for frankly little effort.
    I work with metal and drill a few holes in a given day. None of them look like the inside of that transfer port. Reamer is the tool for the job.
    100%