Thread: HW57 moderator worth while?

HW57 moderator worth while?

I came across a hw57 in 'tidy' ( just) condition, blueing fading on barrel, slight rust specs which I cleaned with fine w wool and oil, replaced missing trigger guard screw and now quite nice and solid, began to test in the garden.
    It promised accuracy BUT it was louder than my 99 .
    Was wondering if the breech might be leaking or is this bark to be lived with on a 57 (.22) ?
    Would I be wasting time fitting a mod?
    Any advice on this type please.

eyebull is offline Even a stopped clock is right twice a day
    Have found that there often isn't any way of telling whether a mod is going to be effective on a Springer until you try. IME there's more muzzle report from .177 than .22, and more report from a Carbine than a full length barrel. If your HW57 has a full length barrel then I would hazard a guess that addressing the action noise would give the most benefit.
    My .177 LGV greatly benefits from a stubby delrin mod.
    I didn't think the inbuilt mod on my old .177 Lightning was doing much, until I took it off...it sounded like an unmodded PCP! However after a lot of fiddling with the action and fitting a .22 supersport barrel it didn't need any kind of moderation at all.
    Good deals with these members

Thumbs up Action noise

Quote Originally Posted by eyebull View Post
    Have found that there often isn't any way of telling whether a mod is going to be effective on a Springer until you try. IME there's more muzzle report from .177 than .22, and more report from a Carbine than a full length barrel. If your HW57 has a full length barrel then I would hazard a guess that addressing the action noise would give the most benefit.
    My .177 LGV greatly benefits from a stubby delrin mod.
    I didn't think the inbuilt mod on my old .177 Lightning was doing much, until I took it off...it sounded like an unmodded PCP! However after a lot of fiddling with the action and fitting a .22 supersport barrel it didn't need any kind of moderation at all.
    Food for thought, thanks. It is way louder than my 177 hw99. I'll start with a guide kit etc.

The muzzle report on these is renowned for being loud, heard it mentioned that it's something to do with the skinny barrel although quite why that is I don't know...

As for the bark from the action then yes guides are the way to go as the spring rattles around inside akin to throwing a pencil in the Albert Hall, my first 95 barked like a junkyard dog until I fitted a Tbt kit, it's a weihrauch thing...
    .22 S410...
    .22 Webley Xocet...
    .22 HW95k...