Thread: El-cheapo Artemis PR-900 - the mule

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Alright. So by now we had the scuba tanks filled, the SSG and what not all in place, shroud there as well as moderator, porting done yadda yadda yadda.

Fudder, at least for current, is one of the two. Both of them JSB´s and both of them 25,4 grains. Take your pic. Interestingly enough the difference on target is very very slim between the pellets and slugs.

Jäääääz... please This is what the LabRadar told. In fact highest recording that session was 1024. That equates to approx 80 Joules. Out of the most el-cheapo PCP you can ever imagine, and we´re FAR from done!

Power is nothing without control though right?

Yeah well, recall i told that we handed the barrel a bit of TLC? This at a mere approx 20 meters but still. That there is on par with what my Impact hands me. This out of a 120€ gun that by now has set me back still beneath 200€ total.
    Yeah, cheers!

After a LOT of swapping of scopes i came to settle on a rather cheap chinese Zeiss rip off. Like the way it works at dusk.. a lit one. Add a bit of red and.. rats away!

Done though?
    No. Not even close. This is "the mule" remember? Seeing the level of performance this thing has turned out to be capable of next thing up is the application of a so called buddy bottle.
    To be quite candid not a decision that came easy as i truly LOVE how the stock turned out and the sleek lines of the rifle. But the truth of the matter is that at the power levels we´re at, and furthermore where we´re aiming, them pityful 100cc´s of air tank simply doesn´t suffice...

So yes.
    To be continued.. ldgrin

Welcome to the BBS, Jesper.

Please be aware that this section is only for the discussion of air rifles under the power of 12ftlbs/16 Joules.

Please also be aware that it is against forum rules to show how to increase the power of an Airgun on open forum.

All the best Mick

Ouch!
    Had no idea, sorry!
    Should i delete the thread?

..and thank you

eyebull is offline Even a stopped clock is right twice a day
    Enjoying following along with this. Good to see the SSG concept getting some love, and a nice simple version too- every pcp and co2 rifle should have one IMO!
    Good deals with these members

Operating without any decent restraint - Nottm
    Quote Originally Posted by Racing View Post
    Ouch!
    Had no idea, sorry!

..and thank you
    Nah, you're fine now!
    1st Battalion Humberside Cavalier Rescue Deserters on the cut

Ouch!
    Had no idea, sorry!

..and thank you
    No need to apologise or delete anything --- please continue.

All the best Mick

Well then, thx lads.

@ Eyebull.
    The concept of SSG is simple after all and seeing the build the Artemis PR-900/Diana Stormrider is it at least to me came out as the obvious solution.
    Point being that it hands adjustability, and more so in the right spot.
    "Air hogs" are no fun at all, and setting a SSG up to minimize hammer bounce and the likes certainly IS doable. Best thing since sliced bread? Far from it, but as noted the 900 lacks provision for anything more elaborate really.
    That would, in such a case, bring a complete redesign of the rifles rear me thinks.

Yes. The application of a SSG in this case really does save the day, at least to an extent. No matter the power level of a PR-900 the size of the stock tank isn´t exactly anything to write home about why every little bit helps.
    In fact making such a setup work for a sub 12 footpound setup would in my book be a viable thought no doubt. Seeing that very limited 100cc capacity..
    In the case of the mule though i´m giving serious thought to a buddy bottle with a regulator. Reasons i guess are clear enough, but again.. might very well be something to at least ponder for sub 12 guns too.?

One thing that has struck me like a ton of bricks with these Artemis offerings (currently die hard into a P15) is their weight. Other end of the spectre there´s guns like the Hatsan BT-65 and what not, that thus in my opinion fail to realize on what the PCP concept, for lack of better wording, brings.
    Love that about the PR-900 and P15 both, that they´re feather light.
    Enter buddy bottle, because as i stripped the stock of the 900 of its original finish and revealed that wonderful piece of lumber beneath it about blew my sox off.
    After all, this is an el-cheapo PCP gun if ever but to be quite candid that there changed face of the thing. Looks, but more importantly FEELS, lika a million bux in comparsion.
    The P15?
    We´ll see..

That said them "kilos not there" sure makes for a difference touting the thing around, which i guess to an extent is my point in case. Ditto for the P15.
    I own a BT-65 as well and.. well, let´s just arrive on that it at the moment is the LEAST used PCP gun of mine. No matter who´s to shoot it.

One point where the P15 brings home all the marbles vs the 900 (and the BT too for that matter) is its side lever setup. Spoiled, to a degree at least, by the Impact of mine. So. To be clear on that.. sidelevers from hereon out.

Looking into getting me yet another PCP at the moment actually and have given thought to a semi auto Kral in 25cal. A tad curious as far as the semis, being all to aware of the full auto ones too that are completely off the charts IMO. Yanks and their fabless for anything full auto.. I don´t care.
    Like Townsend Wheelen once said, "only interesting guns are accurate guns as the idea of shooting is to hit what you´re aiming at".
    Indeed.
    Not like i would ever even consider going full auto on anything alive.. so BS to me.

Repeaters and semis though, different matter all together.

Near Wimbledon, SW London, or Lusaka, Zambia
    nice work.

I too have no problem working on cheap PCPs, and agree with you, it's more about fit and tolerances than inherent design / component quality (although some materials can be poor). The Krals, for example, are a great platform to build on.

One question however - do you not think that 80 Joules is a bit excessive for shooting rats ? Or are you a very long way away ?

And the ergonomics of that massive t-handle bolt.... no comment !
    Last edited by Shed tuner; 20-01-2022 at 07:20 AM.
    Always looking for any cheap, interesting, knackered "project" guns. Thanks, JB.

eyebull is offline Even a stopped clock is right twice a day
    Quote Originally Posted by Shed tuner View Post

One question however - do you not think that 80 Joules is a bit excessive for shooting rats ? Or are you a very long way away ?
    I'm envisioning those pest control sessions going a bit like this: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=KSfsE9FiCto
    Good deals with these members

Quote Originally Posted by Shed tuner View Post

One question however - do you not think that 80 Joules is a bit excessive for shooting rats ? Or are you a very long way away ? !

Strangely, Jon.

The Swedish Government don't seem to want anyone shooting vermin with an Air rifle under 12ftlbs, whereas our Government believes that 12ftlbs is more than adequate to shoot vermin. :-

image.jpg

All the best Mick

Alright. So by now we had the scuba tanks filled, the SSG and what not all in place, shroud there as well as moderator, porting done yadda yadda yadda.

Fudder, at least for current, is one of the two. Both of them JSB´s and both of them 25,4 grains. Take your pic. Interestingly enough the difference on target is very very slim between the pellets and slugs.

Jäääääz... please This is what the LabRadar told. In fact highest recording that session was 1024. That equates to approx 80 Joules. Out of the most el-cheapo PCP you can ever imagine, and we´re FAR from done!

Power is nothing without control though right?

Yeah well, recall i told that we handed the barrel a bit of TLC? This at a mere approx 20 meters but still. That there is on par with what my Impact hands me. This out of a 120€ gun that by now has set me back still beneath 200€ total.
    Yeah, cheers!

After a LOT of swapping of scopes i came to settle on a rather cheap chinese Zeiss rip off. Like the way it works at dusk.. a lit one. Add a bit of red and.. rats away!

Done though?
    No. Not even close. This is "the mule" remember? Seeing the level of performance this thing has turned out to be capable of next thing up is the application of a so called buddy bottle.
    To be quite candid not a decision that came easy as i truly LOVE how the stock turned out and the sleek lines of the rifle. But the truth of the matter is that at the power levels we´re at, and furthermore where we´re aiming, them pityful 100cc´s of air tank simply doesn´t suffice...

So yes.
    To be continued.. ldgrin
    Great post,