Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: El-cheapo Artemis PR-900 - the mule

eyebull is offline Even a stopped clock is right twice a day
    Quote Originally Posted by Racing View Post
    As for PCP i for one believe we´re just at the threshold of using them for hunting. Albeit we by tradition see most "air guns" as small caliber low on power guns/toys that IS changing and we see the advent of guns we´d never believe like just 10yrs ago. Very very exciting to be around to experience that! FX, to us, of course a big part of that. In country though there´s other rather known PCP builders/developers more than just Mr Axelsson and crew.

I've been surprised by how enthusiastically the Americans have taken to big bore airguns for hunting in the last decade - probably because they aren't considered 'firearms' under their law - and a lot of the development in this field seems to come from that direction these days.

Quote Originally Posted by Racing View Post
    So next Q i guess is self explainatory. What prey IS there in the UK as a whole?
    As well as rabbits, pigeons, ducks, geese and farmed game animals such as pheasant and partridge, You have six species of deer; red, roe, fallow, sika, muntjac and chinese water deer. Wild boar are also increasingly on the menu.
    Plenty to eat here
    Good deals with these members

To me the Hatsans in general are rather "coarse" builds.
    Built like tanks, and put together the same way.

That BT of mine sports a Lothar Walter barrel and there´s absolutely nothing at fault with the barrel. The install however.. so help me..
    That barrel too handed a little TLC though has turned into a tac driver as well. No argument on that one, and a regulator has come to tame the gun down partly.
    But.. in a separate post as mentioned. We´ll get there.

Airguns and hunting big game.
    I could do that. I could certainly do that. Going after larger game with an airgun (read - PCP) with enough muzzle flip, sure. I for one believe that the current "king of the hill", the AEA Zeus in 72cal, is just the first of many to come.
    As i shoot blackpowder arms as well i´m familiar with sending REAL heavy pills downrange and know fully what they can do. Here part of our law states that you can NOT use any form of full metal jacket (or similar), boolits has to be expanding for hunting purposes.

Then. I guess we don´t get "all american" about "dangerous game". Sure. Ppl get attacked by boars on occasion and especially the dogs used for boar hunting do, why more and more send their dogs into "combat" wearing bullet proof vests.
    Some areas see more wolf than others, same deal. Kevlar vests for the mut does it. Then, the "limited" capacity of a PCP rifle in massive caliber.. yeah. Might be, but those that believe they need a 30 shot clip to go hunting never has.
    Often times one hit is all it takes.

Ditto i wouldn´t mind blackpowder season either. To me it´s just a matter of putting up demands for the hunter to fulfill. That simple really, and could these blackpowder firearms be used to get prey times past they sure can today too.
    An old muzzle loader might be just one shot.. all good, but then bring a modern day rifle as backup. Simple. A rather common such rifle around here is the "Wrede" (after Fabian Wrede - an officer with our armed forces at the time). A 50 cal gun that these days mostly get shot with minie style bullets out of pure lead. An approx 500 grain boolit that exits around 1300-1400fps when loaded up easy.

Anyways.
    PR-900. Buddy bottle.
    Have checked around a bit and the hard parts here are two fold. As is, at the power level it is now, i get 5 maybe 6 shots out of it in full power mode. For plinking that gets old fast, for ratting.. not so much and i DO love the sleek lines of that little rifle as it stands now believing that putting a buddy bottle on there of any sorts would ruin the lines of the thing.
    Second up is what buddy bottle to get. The adapter is the easy part as i regard it. What i "see" is that parts of the stock tube is kept. The part with the valve more specifically.
    After that though diameter, and thus volume, can be increased as far as i´m concerned and this mainly to add plenum volume. Guess 50cc´s would do it.
    Then the adapter for the buddy bottle but.. most such with any appreciable volume seems to come in around 60mm diameter. That no small diameter thingy in my book.
    Undecided on this, i really am. It´s a nice little rifle already where it is, it shoots very well (and hard) what´s more there to ask? In all honesty.

Would you guys ruin the lines of it for more air capacity seeing the level we´re at here or no?

Near Wimbledon, SW London, or Lusaka, Zambia
    to suggest the really obvious... back off the hammer spring, choke down the port, get it down from 80J to 60J, you will probably double your shot count... unless you have 200kg rats, they will still be just as dead... down to 40J and you will double shot count again. For me, that energy level is the sweet spot for .22 PCP - around 30 FP.

Another option.. make a longer cylinder same diameter as the current one... even an extra 30mm will gain a few shots.
    Always looking for any cheap, interesting, knackered "project" guns. Thanks, JB.

There you go how we differ.
    My Impact at 100 is a downright extremely silent pussy cat. Seeing the onboard tube it gets shotstrings large enough no doubt no matter.
    Hence the buddy bottle idea for the PR.

Yeah yeah, i know. Not a sub 12 gun.
    Worth mentioning though is that today that PR-900 really blew a new hole as far as what gives.

I pulled a number of small jobs and if it´s one thing i´ve learned with PCP´s it is that attention to detail pays off. Ergo...

Since last i got me an FX radar too as you can see, and for the most part the FX jobbie and the LabRadar is about on par (always good to know i guess).
    So.
    Loaded the clip up with 25,4 grain ,217" JSB Knockouts and fired away.

First shot was 1072fps. Left me looking like damn fool!
    So.. full of disbelief second round..
    1078fps.
    Say WUT?
    Third round.
    1080 fps... and from thereon just plummet down of course, seeing the limited tube volume. About LICKING "the wall". From an approx 220 bar fill.

1080fps with 25,4 grain pills out of the stock 460mm barrel. Yeah. I´m done. That simple, i´m done.

What very well might happen though is a larger tank. Gun really screams for it. Checked the dimensions involved and i BELIEVE i can get away with a scarf joint heading into a 32*2mm steel piece of pressure tubing..
    That would render an approx 350cc tank, which i guess would be more appropriate seeing what this gun´s made of.

Near Wimbledon, SW London, or Lusaka, Zambia
    do you reckon it'll be enough for the rats ?
    Always looking for any cheap, interesting, knackered "project" guns. Thanks, JB.

Maybe.

eyebull is offline Even a stopped clock is right twice a day
    That's near enough transonic, have you noticed any effect on accuracy?
    Good deals with these members

Yes it is.

To be honest, living a tad north of you, thus far i´ve limited the thing to the approx 20m we´ve got indoors due cold weather n downpour. There, indoors? Nah. Can´t really say that.

Using 25,4g JSB Knockouts it´s still "stacking" them like it´s done all the time.

What´s more i´d say we ARE into the transsonic area. Buuuut. Nope. Not that i´ve noticed. No strangle flyers or the likes. It just still stacks them high.