Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Boring Packaging.

Webley Mk1

A rusty but unmolested Webley Mk1 arrived today from an auction. Unremarkable except its v early number 1192.
    My excitement was undiluted and childlike. Not much else does that nowadays. :-)

Quote Originally Posted by Garvin View Post
    My first ever new, boxed airgun was a Webley Tempest in one of those black boxes. The joy of getting it home and opening the box is probably what drives me even today.

Trouble is, the feeling I get now, 40 years later, still chasing that particular dragon, is no more than a faint echo of that teenage excitement. Doesn't stop the collector's urge to accumulate though.
    At least you can still get a webley tempest. Some of the other things that excited us as teenagers may now forever be out of reach..,
    Morally flawed

My first ever new, boxed airgun was a Webley Tempest in one of those black boxes. The joy of getting it home and opening the box is probably what drives me even today.

Trouble is, the feeling I get now, 40 years later, still chasing that particular dragon, is no more than a faint echo of that teenage excitement. Doesn't stop the collector's urge to accumulate though.
    I remember seeing a black boxed Tempest in a second hand shop in Willesden around 1981. At £21, it was way out of my reach as I was still at school. I remember the shop owner dry firing it and the smoke that resulted from the dieseling that must have occurred. At that moment, I resolved to own such a 'powerful' pistol and every time I look at my black boxed examples today, I am reminded of that wonderful day.

John M
    Currently looking for Baikal Makarov pistols with the following prefixes to the serial number: 98, T01, T09, T21, T22
    Prefer boxed or cased but will consider loose examples too.

ccdjg is offline Airgun Alchemist, Collector and Scribe
    Well, if you think modern packaging is dull, you could always go for the guns instead:

First impressions are important and for me unboxing is an important part of the new buying experience. Attractive packaging encourages its retention and primes you for being fully satisfied with your new purchase.

Brian

Quote Originally Posted by ccdjg View Post
    Well, if you think modern packaging is dull, you could always go for the guns instead:

Someday, someone will embark upon a quest to collect all variant colours of this pistol!

John
    Currently looking for Baikal Makarov pistols with the following prefixes to the serial number: 98, T01, T09, T21, T22

ccdjg is offline Airgun Alchemist, Collector and Scribe
    Quote Originally Posted by Josie & John View Post
    Someday, someone will embark upon a quest to collect all variant colours of this pistol!

John
    It will be a brave man who takes the pink version down to the range for a bit of practice.

Quote Originally Posted by ccdjg View Post
    It will be a brave man who takes the pink version down to the range for a bit of practice.
    The green one is not that bad though, albeit it's not for me.

John

John
    CBC/Magtech from Brazil?

I actually quite like them. And you are right - much like the funny coloured Webley Nemesises.. Nemeses… Nemesi…

Quote Originally Posted by Geezer View Post
    CBC/Magtech from Brazil?

I actually quite like them. And you are right - much like the funny coloured Webley Nemesises.. Nemeses… Nemesi…
    I went with Nemesi when discussing the collective name for a collection of these Webleys some years ago. Not sure if its right?

Must admit I never liked the colours offered for the Nemesis and remember seeing brand new ones for sale in a shop for the same price as standard models. Perhaps I should have bought some as an investment but did not think to do so. I much preferred the coloured BSA 240 Magnum as the colours were a lot more natural and quality looking, albeit the Nemesis was the easier pistol to shoot; for me anyway.

John

I went with Nemesi when discussing the collective name for a collection of these Webleys some years ago. Not sure if its right?

Must admit I never liked the colours offered for the Nemesis and remember seeing brand new ones for sale in a shop for the same price as standard models. Perhaps I should have bought some as an investment but did not think to do so. I much preferred the coloured BSA 240 Magnum as the colours were a lot more natural and quality looking, albeit the Nemesis was the easier pistol to shoot; for me anyway.

John
    Apparently, it’s Nemeses. (Google).

But then, none of us knew that Webley was going to collapse fairly soon and that silly-coloured SSP pistols and things like the Stinger would become collectors’ items.

I remember seeing a black boxed Tempest in a second hand shop in Willesden around 1981. At £21, it was way out of my reach as I was still at school. I remember the shop owner dry firing it and the smoke that resulted from the dieseling that must have occurred. At that moment, I resolved to own such a 'powerful' pistol and every time I look at my black boxed examples today, I am reminded of that wonderful day.

John M
    John it was 1981 when I bought the Tempest, although I don't remember paying that much for it. I got a friend to sign for it because I was under 17 at the time! We bought it from Hugh at Pax Guns on the A1, a shop still going today, amazingly enough.
    Vintage Airguns Gallery
    ..Above link posted with permission from Gareth W-B
    In British slang an anorak is a person who has a very strong interest in niche subjects.

John it was 1981 when I bought the Tempest, although I don't remember paying that much for it. I got a friend to sign for it because I was under 17 at the time! We bought it from Hugh at Pax Guns on the A1, a shop still going today, amazingly enough.
    Yes I know the shop. I remember visiting it years ago and seeing lots of vintage airguns from Hugh's collection on display. It looks different today but it is good to see the shop is still in business.

John

Yes I know the shop. I remember visiting it years ago and seeing lots of vintage airguns from Hugh's collection on display. It looks different today but it is good to see the shop is still in business.

John
    I think it was one of Hugh’s Webley Mk2 Service’s that first got me into collecting vintage airguns, displayed of all places high in a ceiling alcove in the shop. It was one of the most beautiful things I’d ever seen and I had to have one, one day!
    Vintage Airguns Gallery
    ..Above link posted with permission from Gareth W-B
    In British slang an anorak is a person who has a very strong interest in niche subjects.

harry mac is offline You can't say muntjack without saying mmmmm
    Oh, for God's sake, don't mention that attractive packaging might influence your purchase of a gun or pellets, or they'll insistall shooting products are packaged in plain, brown, oblong packets, like cigarettes.
    The South of England has 2 good things, the M1 and the A1. Both will take you to Yorkshire.