Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Scopes for squirrel hunting

Scopes for squirrel hunting

Sitting in a high seat at the weekend and resisted the temptation to sort a few squirrels with my .308!

This led to me getting asked by the owners to come back to cull the place which is overrun with grey squirrels. 5,000 acres of mixed farm / woodland and within an hour of home....

I've got an old Hawke 2-7 x 32 (illuminated) on my Titan MPT .22 FAC (around 18 ft lbs). This scope has done well in the light use it's had, and it doesn't make sense to have a new scope which will be nearly as heavy as my rifle!

Any suggestions as to a better scope or just stick with what I have?
    Which, TBH, isn't bad but may lose a bit at late dusk. And it was at late dusk when I was mobbed by about 10 squirrels. If the single shot MPT doesn't have enough fire power, my .177 - 17 shot Rapid is next on the try list. May well bring my S&W 15-22 with it's 25 shot mag for the longer ones if I go back to the high seat

Also, for squirrel shooting in open woodland, what range do you normally zero at? I'm set on 25 yds - with a mildot reticle.

Near Wimbledon, SW London, or Lusaka, Zambia
    I'd say a 2-7 mag scope and an 18 FP .22 is absolutely perfect for squizzers

Multishot is handy though, especially when it's cold, or dark, or wet, or all three...

Range depends on your local conditions and the velocity/trajectory... so don;t want to be messing around with holdunder for midrange, as it's way to ocomplicated as you track them through the brances. SO zero so the pellet apogee is never more than 1/4" above centre (i.e not enough to worry about). This will probably land you a zero anywhere between 25 and 30 yards, depening on calibre.
    Always looking for any cheap, interesting, knackered "project" guns. Thanks, JB.

Depends on time of year I reckon - worse in summer in woodland when canopy's full, when differentiating them can be harder ....

I've had great success with Nikon 2-7 x 32 (I favour on heavy rifles which for me means HW80), though my top choice for a pure 'squirrel' rifle is a big, good quality glass on a not too heavy rifle (as it's often pointing up, if shooting in woodland / large area) - 4-16 AO etc,
    MPT's are pretty weighty already I think if I have the right rifle in mind - not at all like the later lightweight Falcons, I wouldn't be able to handle that with a big scope on
    The now discontinued Nikon 3-9 EFR gets a good amount of light through without being very weighty too, Bushnell elite 4-12 another good un
    Looking for TO-6 Trigger unit unmessed with or T0-6 kit for 34

Regardless of what scope it is fitted on what rifle I always set them using Chairgun,
    zero'd to give me the longest unbroken point blank range (+/- half inch of point of aim) to just aim dead on.

.20 air, zero 28yds, PBR 7-34yds,
    .25 FAC air zero 42yds, PBR 10-47yds,
    .22lr zero 50yds, PBR 12-57yds,
    .17WSM zero 125yds, PBR 27-140yds

Depending on scope height a .22 at 18ftlb with a 16gn pellet at a 36yd zero would have a PBR 8-41yds,
    with your 25yd zero the PBR is 10-34yds but the pellet barely goes above point of aim.

The 2-7x32 sounds perfect.

I put squirrel feeders up and shoot from a hide at a known distance.
    Repariere nicht, was nicht kaputtist.

Assuming the 2-7 is good quality (airmax or panorama), I'd say they're the perfect scope for greys.

I prefer a 2-7 for all my air rifle hunting and usually shoot on 4 or 5 mag
    B.A.S.C. member

Great comments folks. Many thanks.

ive used that scope on squirrels to good effect

Born Again is online now Owns three Roy orbison albums
    With 5000 acres to shoot on I'm guessing you could be safely taking high angle shots, which I have found easier with scopes that mount nice and low. On that basis a quality 32mm or smaller scope would be my choice. Incidentally, when I was doing this kind of shooting with a Rapid, I found a barrel mounted laser useful.

What scope depends on what you feel you need to make good head shots on a squirrel.
    From ambush over a feeder then whatever you like.
    Shooting up into the trees then a good sporting combo that is fast is preferable; one that you can shoot standing unsupported. x4, x6, x8 will all do it.
    A large FOV is a help, as is a multi shot, as squirrels don't hang about much. There is a lot of going around and around trees with squirrel shooting; does your neck in!

Only extremely good glass gives you the "extra ten minutes" at dusk. However, the Pard 007 NV digi Add-On can give poor glass all the help they need...all through the night. Tight FOV but they work. Good for all rats, not just tree rats.

Not much wrong with what you already have. A Pard does need side parallax so might be an excuse to upgrade to a 3-12x42 something with side parallax. Don't go huge as you will fast lose sportyness.

Quick note: a .22LR isn't the right tool as its just too tempting to shoot up into the trees. That is an absolute No No as the .22LR danger area is over a mile! Air Rifle or shotgun then just keep all pellets landing on your ground and somewhere sensible.

Lastly, don't over shoot the place as squirrels learn fast. Once every two weeks will do more.

Hawke 2-7 here also. Usually leave it on 6x.

Quote Originally Posted by Neil54 View Post
    I put squirrel feeders up and shoot from a hide at a known distance.
    Ideal, but sometimes a tad boring as opposed to 'a cowboy hunt' as I think of it, navigating through the woods - which I really enjoy !
    Looking for TO-6 Trigger unit unmessed with or T0-6 kit for 34

Born Again is online now Owns three Roy orbison albums
    Quote Originally Posted by PCPShooter View Post
    'a cowboy hunt' as I think of it, navigating through the woods - which I really enjoy !
    Absolutely. Brilliant sport, the actual shot becomes just part of the whole process which is totally absorbing.

Quote Originally Posted by PCPShooter View Post
    Ideal, but sometimes a tad boring as opposed to 'a cowboy hunt' as I think of it, navigating through the woods - which I really enjoy !
    Quote Originally Posted by Born Again View Post
    Absolutely. Brilliant sport, the actual shot becomes just part of the whole process which is totally absorbing.
    Yep, the only way to improve a walk in the woods with an air rifle is a thermal spotter

Quote Originally Posted by angrybear View Post
    Yep, the only way to improve a walk in the woods with an air rifle is a thermal spotter
    Yes. Back at the same place this afternoon where at the weekend I saw around 10 squirrels all giving me what looked like a 'v' sign. This time all ready for them. Someone on here must have told them as I saw nothing. Sweet nothing.

However, there's nowhere I'd have liked to be more than being in that wood, despite no action....

But, as my lad has been trying to convince me for a couple of years to get a thermal spotter, he's closer to achieving that than he might think!!