Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: BSA 240 Magnum Inspection Certificate.

BSA 240 Magnum Inspection Certificate.

I've just been looking at the Inspection Certificate accompanying my 1995 BSA 240 Magnum air pistol which is stamped as passing for accuracy of 5 shots at 25 yds.
    It doesn't state the accuracy criteria, but I doubt it was tested at 25 yds and is probably a standard air rifle certificate used for both rifles and the pistol. It would be
    interesting to know what the accuracy requirement was for air rifles and pistols and the associated failure rates.

Brian

Unframed Dave is offline World pork pie juggling champion three years straight
    Doubter!

It was the magnum after all!

Dave
    Smell my cheese

And I expect "No.5" was quite a good shot ( I mean to say, you would be if you did it all day, every day) . He seems fairly confident the way he has slapped his stamp everywhere. (I notice his handwriting isn't the neatest though )

Still, I would think a 1" bullseye at 25 yards was well within his capabilities.

I just don't understand these doubters

Lakey

eyebull is offline Even a stopped clock is right twice a day
    Does it show a picture of the barn which the 240 allegedly managed to hit the broad side of?
    Good deals with these members

Near Wimbledon, SW London, or Lusaka, Zambia
    i did a thread a while ago on tuning the 240 for accuracy... summary is that relieving the through bore at the muzzle end, taking a couple of coils off the spring, and having a less tight guide actually made for a decent shooting, accurate gun.. Why BSA couldn't have worked that out; took me an hour
    Always looking for any cheap, interesting, knackered "project" guns. Thanks, JB.

Quote Originally Posted by Shed tuner View Post
    i did a thread a while ago on tuning the 240 for accuracy... summary is that relieving the through bore at the muzzle end, taking a couple of coils off the spring, and having a less tight guide actually made for a decent shooting, accurate gun.. Why BSA couldn't have worked that out; took me an hour
    The gun as originally designed was a few inches longer, which also probably would have made for a better shooting pistol.

Quote Originally Posted by eyebull View Post
    The gun as originally designed was a few inches longer, which also probably would have made for a better shooting pistol.
    yes, that would have helped with the flip too.. and the overly short barrel isn't ideal. Why did they chop it
    Always looking for any cheap, interesting, knackered "project" guns. Thanks, JB.

yes, that would have helped with the flip too.. and the overly short barrel isn't ideal. Why did they chop it
    Probably to save all of £2 per unit!

It was the grip that let the side down IMHO. The action was good and the pistol worked well enough but the wooden grip seemed like an afterthought. Very uncomfortable too.

John
    Currently looking for Baikal Makarov pistols with the following prefixes to the serial number: 98, T01, T09, T21, T22
    Prefer boxed or cased but will consider loose examples too.

I have found the BSA 240 Magnum shoots fairly well using a two hand hold, but the grips and top-heavy feel make it less accurate with a single hand, unsupported hold.
    Still like the overall experience though and nice to have something different from the usual Webley pistols I shoot every week.

Brian

Yeah, I adapted a new grip for mine.. much more comfortable now...

I notice the Inspectors didn’t sign the Certificate

Would it have been a bit too close to the limit & maybe they thought that it would be more responsible to chop the length if simply fitting another spring by an owner would take it over the top?

Quote Originally Posted by trajectory View Post
    Would it have been a bit too close to the limit & maybe they thought that it would be more responsible to chop the length if simply fitting another spring by an owner would take it over the top?
    Were there many unmodified, spring powered air pistols ever produced with muzzle energies close to the 6 ft/lbs legal limit in the UK?

Brian

Norwich 'A Fine City' (unless you're a driver)
    Quote Originally Posted by Abasmajor View Post
    Were there many unmodified, spring powered air pistols ever produced with muzzle energies close to the 6 ft/lbs legal limit in the UK?

Brian
    The original Scorpions reputedly went over the limit and had to be recalled to be adjusted. As it is the Scorpion gives a hell of a thwack, and shows that BSA had 'form' in this area.

Tom Gaylord did a really interesting test some years ago and found, to his surprise, that it shot pretty well too! https://www.pyramydair.com/blog/2014...pistol-part-3/