Thread: Recommend me a PCP

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Recommend me a PCP

Evening All...

I'm in the market for my first PCP rifle.... I'm a great fan of compact rifles, especially bullpups.

I was going to go with a Hatsan Flashpup, as its cheap and compact, but the the one I wanted is out of stock until March... so SWMBO graciously said I could expand my budget.

I'm currently looking for:
    • Something under £500
    • Bullpup
    • Smallish air cylinder so I can use a handpump without killing myself...
    • Will be used for mainly plinking with some occasional ratting

Currently my shortlist is the Zbroia Kozac (the short version)

Do those of you who own one like to give an opinion..?? or can I consider something else..?

TIA

Daryll.

Hsing-ee is offline may also be employed in conjunction with a drawn reciprocation dingle arm, to reduce sinusoidal repleneration

No need for a PCP or any of that!

Get a HW30S in .22 calibre, deburr and polish, fit with tinbum guides and you'll get 9 fpe with Hobby pellets. Blisteringly accurate and great fun, light as a feather.

Then you can hunt rats and plink all day without going near a pump or a bottle.

Use the change to take SWMBO out for a night out.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EG9YXwsW9-A
    Last edited by Hsing-ee; 28-01-2022 at 09:31 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Hsing-ee View Post
    Get a HW30S in .22 calibre, deburr and polish, fit with tinbum guides and you'll get 9 fpe with Hobby pellets. Blisteringly accurate and great fun, light as a feather.

Then you can hunt rats and plink all day without going near a pump or a bottle.

Use the change to take SWMBO out for a night out.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EG9YXwsW9-A
    I've had springers since the 60's.. fancy a change..

Quote Originally Posted by Daryll View Post
    Evening All...

I'm in the market for my first PCP rifle.... I'm a great fan of compact rifles, especially bullpups.

I was going to go with a Hatsan Flashpup, as its cheap and compact, but the the one I wanted is out of stock until March... so SWMBO graciously said I could expand my budget.

I'm currently looking for:
    • Something under £500
    • Bullpup
    • Smallish air cylinder so I can use a handpump without killing myself...
    • Will be used for mainly plinking with some occasional ratting

Currently my shortlist is the Zbroia Kozac (the short version)

Do those of you who own one like to give an opinion..?? or can I consider something else..?

TIA

Daryll.
    Forget a new pcp for £500 my mate has had most around the lower ranges and doesnt have any of them now they have all had faults. I would go second hand The cheapest secondhand bullpup worth getting is a mk1 fx wildcat you Might just get one for this price, the early kozacs were pretty good but they went downhill later on! For £800-£900 a hw bullpup MAY be possible, also a Kalibrgun cricket is better than a Wildcat possibly £750-£800. Its definatly worth paying more.
    mk2 rapid.22

SMK p15.

All the budget models benefit from a deburr and Polish.

If your not prepared to strip a new rifle, just take a chance. They are not all bad.
    Repariere nicht, was nicht kaputtist.

Forget the bullpups, particularly at that price point.

Buy a used BSA Ultra SE and spend the rest on hookers and beer.
    B.A.S.C. member

I'd go with the BSA ultra too!!, compact and reliable had one a few years ago now sold unfortunately but it worked and personally never had issues with it.
    Weihrauch HW97 .177, Weihrauch HW80 .22, Weihrauch HW77 .22

Quote Originally Posted by robs5230 View Post
    Forget the bullpups, particularly at that price point.

Buy a used BSA Ultra SE and spend the rest on hookers and beer.
    That's the way to go

Quote Originally Posted by Neil54 View Post
    SMK p15.

If your not prepared to strip a new rifle, just take a chance. They are not all bad.
    What exactly needs a debur and polish?

Some of the parts are not finished as good as could be.
    Trigger sears. Bolt. Breech entry. Possible the muzzle Crown after inspection.

Makes a good rifle great.
    Repariere nicht, was nicht kaputtist.

Game GX40 can be a great buy but are full length

BSA Ultra

I’d forget the cheap bullpup idea too

Personally I’m not keen on pcp’s with air in rear either no matter how many safety features, Id rather have my hand under risk than my face / head, in consideration of your shorter / carbine preference
    Looking for TO-6 Trigger unit unmessed with or T0-6 kit for 34

Quote Originally Posted by Neil54 View Post
    SMK p15.

I´ll second that. Artemis or SMK.. same same.

The Hatsans.
    Don´t even get me started. Most of them capable of being REAL powerhouses but.. as refined as a medieval battle club approx.
    Had one in 22 in the door at the shop today. A brand spanking new Factor. Up here only sold in the unregulated version.
    As all cheap PCP´s.. needed work. Yes. As it came out of the box.
    First up as we tried it, the mechanics of it were about as rough as the mentioned battle club. in turn at a mere 12 meters it needed an entire coffee saucer...
    Gimmeabreakalready..

Took the barrel out, tossed it on the lathe. As ALL other Hatsans i´ve ever hand my dirty mittens on..crown, chamber and forcing cone done as were they putting out a damn fire.
    Just cleaned the crown up, shim cut followed by just a 45deg and polish. Then cleaned the barrel out, which hadn´t been done to that point.
    From coffee saucer to a ragged hole, then again.. at a bare 12 meters so that´s just telling, really, that there´s room for improvement.
    Then there´s like a ton of other small things needing attention.
    Oh! N yes. As i sat there at idle firing away all of a sudden the lever became completely numb. What had happened was that a small "speciality" screw had fallen straight out of the linkage for the lever - rendering the gun a no-go.
    Put the screw back, no threads.
    Well isn´t that just great!

Actually still own a Hatsan. An as souped up BT-65 Elite you could ever ask for, sporting a Lothar Walter barrel at that. Has seen TONS of work.. and i´m gonna get rid of it.
    Period.
    What WILL come though from the looks of it is a semi auto Kral in 25cal.

New P15´s btw have jumped a bit in Britain as far as i know. Now carries a hang tag of 560+£.
    In short? Get a used one where any quirks have been leveled out already. You´ll be a ton way better off. DEMAND to be able to shoot it before forking over. It should, when correct, group real tight with pellets at least, no matter which caliber (they come in up to 25)
    Very neat, EXTREMELY light little guns.
    Actually, them being as compact as they are can be an issue. At least if you like me are a 6´3" 220lbs honest to god viking. Length of pull is simply to short to me.
    What´s more, with the stock shroud and moderator/silencer setup they´re actually rather bloody quiet already out of the box. Even more so at a mere 12lbs.

Quote Originally Posted by keithy View Post
    Forget a new pcp for £500 my mate has had most around the lower ranges and doesnt have any of them now they have all had faults. I would go second hand The cheapest secondhand bullpup worth getting is a mk1 fx wildcat you Might just get one for this price, the early kozacs were pretty good but they went downhill later on! For £800-£900 a hw bullpup MAY be possible, also a Kalibrgun cricket is better than a Wildcat possibly £750-£800. Its definatly worth paying more.
    I have a HW100BPK. It's tiny but weighs a ton! It's a fantastic gun but you would need to stretch your budget. Mine was £800 in 'new' condition. You might get one for nearer £700 if you're patient. Still over your budget but worth the stretch if you can make it.

Cricket

Save up a bit more, put up a wanted ad.
    and buy a s/h Kalibrgun Cricket (Stunningly accurate in .177) and an air tank.
    "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote!" -- Benjamin Franklin