Thread: What denotes Collectable Airguns?

What denotes Collectable Airguns?

Hi ,

Not posted for quite a while so here goes.
    As a small time collector of some of what i call "classic '80's" airguns - i am never sure if i should post relative suff in "General Airgun" or "Collectable Airgus" - maybe '80's not considered collectable....what's the concensus view.

Blackcountryboy.

Quote Originally Posted by Blackcountryboy View Post
    Hi ,

As a small time collector of some of what i call "classic '80's" airguns - i am never sure if i should post relative suff in "General Airgun" or "Collectable Airgus" - maybe '80's not considered collectable....what's the concensus view.

Blackcountryboy.
    80's guns are collectable depending on what make they are.

I would say 80s are well collectible and for the reason I've bought a few; to remind me of my teenage years. So there should be a load of 40-50 year olds hankering after a few.
    Steyr Challenge HFT - HW97K - BSA Mercury Challenger - Anschutz 9015 One - AA Pro Target - AA Pro Elite - ASI Paratrooper (R) - Walther LP500

Agree with Bob and Wilba. Classic 80s stuff is definitely collectible, and collectibles is probably the best place to post, esp if seeking historical info, identifications, valuations etc - depending on what you have.

If someone collects something then that something is de facto collectible. Makarov pistols have only been produced since the late 90’s and they are considered collectible.
    So if you have a collection of 1980’s guns then they are collectible, rejoice in that.
    Eric

Yep, I've been "going through a phase" of buying guns from the 80's that I could only drool over as a spotty yoof! Sirocco, Camargue, Mistral..... all collectibles

Dunk
    "Every normal man must be tempted at times, to spit on his hands, raise the black flag & start slitting throats"

Anything that someone wants to buy, but can't buy new, makes it collectable.
    Repariere nicht, was nicht kaputtist.

Quote Originally Posted by Neil54 View Post
    Anything that someone wants to buy, but can't buy new, makes it collectable.
    I'd argue that even something brand new could be classed as collectable.
    Let's say, for instance, that someone decided to collect a given brand of airgun and wished to own an example of every gun that company had ever produced. Would it not make sense to buy a new model whenever it appeared ?

People buy brand new limited edition airguns because they consider them collectible. A collectible doesn’t have to be old or even out of production.
    If more than one person wishes to have a collection of something (e.g. Maks) then it is fashionable. It doesn’t have to be fashionable to be collectible, but that is how it is seen for a lot of these things. The more expensive collectible airguns are more expensive because collecting them is fashionable.
    Last edited by EricP; 18-04-2022 at 03:20 PM.

An interesting topic that boils down to which area of the forum you post your question /observation about the 80's guns. I tend to think the location depends on the content of the post: for engineering related post where you want advice or are offering guidance than maybe 'General' is more appropriate. If the post concerns historical fact, questions or information e.g. serial numbers, model identity then maybe 'Collectables' is the better area.
    One thing that I have often wondered about but never put energy into looking up is: does the General area get more reads/posts than Collectables? I suspect so which could mean that you have a better chance of getting an answer if you post in General? How many (%) people visit only Collectables? How many General? How many both at the same visit?

The above gives my view on c 1980s guns. For pre-WWII and upto maybe 1950s the answer is clear: Collectables.
    Cheers, Phil

Thats all depends on whether Im buying or selling.
    Founder & ex secretary of Rivington Riflemen.
    www.rivington-riflemen.uk

Quote Originally Posted by I. J. View Post
    Thats all depends on whether Im buying or selling.
    Custom BSA S10 .22 PAX Phoenix Mk 2 .22 Custom Titan Manitou .22 (JB BP) HW77 .22 FWB Sport Mk1 .22 Sharp Ace .22 Crossman 600 .22 Berretta 92 .20 Desert Eagle .177

Quote Originally Posted by Blackcountryboy View Post
    Hi ,

Blackcountryboy.
    I would guess that anyone who reads the collectable section probably also reads general airgun.
    but I doubt everyone who reads general airgun also reads collectables.

You could always put the post in one, and post a link to the thread in the other, make sure everyone see's it.