Thread: Ataman AP16 silencer threads, what are they?

Ataman AP16 silencer threads, what are they?

Question please:
    I have been asked to make a silencer adapter for the Ataman AP16 pistol but have no real information to work on other than a photo of the dedicated AP16 silencer and a commercial adapter which is out of stock and extremely expensive.
    Does anyone know the thread size on the pistol muzzle? Crude measurements from the photo suggest it is not metric and could well be 1/2", maybe UNF from crude measurements or maybe it is M12 x 1.25 (M12fine?). Before committing I would dearly like to know the thread size of the muzzle or the little plug that goes into the muzzle. The other end of the adapter is no problem ... commercial ones are 1/2" UNF.

Can anyone help?
    Thanks, cheers,
    Phil
    Last edited by Phil Russell; 22-01-2022 at 10:17 AM.

Following examination of photos I now think the thread could be 1/2" x 24 tpi or 1/2" x 26 tpi. Maybe more likely 24tpi.

Can anyone confirm?

Cheers, Phil

Presumably the person asking has the gun get them to either measure it or send you the plug to measure it yourself.

Quote Originally Posted by angrybear View Post
    Presumably the person asking has the gun get them to either measure it or send you the plug to measure it yourself.
    Yes they have and I hope to get the 'plug' in the near future. I have photos of it and can confirm the od is not 12mm and seems to be 1/2". My estimates of thread size come from measurements made on the photos. I asked the question on here in the hope that someone would just know the answer... I had read that the thread was not standard ... so that I could make a prototype adapter without getting parts sent to me.

Time will tell
    cheers, Phil

I asked Krale and they tell me it is M13 x 1

Hmmm.... pretty sure I don't have that size.... more thought needed. Maybe I need to learn how to cut threads on a lathe.

Cheers, Phil

Near Wimbledon, SW London, or Lusaka, Zambia
    Quote Originally Posted by Phil Russell View Post
    I asked Krale and they tell me it is M13 x 1

Hmmm.... pretty sure I don't have that size.... more thought needed. Maybe I need to learn how to cut threads on a lathe.

Cheers, Phil
    once I got hold of some changewheels, I watched a couple of vids on youtube, and my first (test) worked perfect. As with most things in life, once you know how, it's not too hard
    Always looking for any cheap, interesting, knackered "project" guns. Thanks, JB.

Quote Originally Posted by Shed tuner View Post
    once I got hold of some changewheels, I watched a couple of vids on youtube, and my first (test) worked perfect. As with most things in life, once you know how, it's not too hard
    Thanks for the encouragement. I have a set of wheels that came with my small lathe so I guess its time to sort out the instructions ...

Cheers, Phil

Captain Bongo is offline I'm not falling for this again........
    Quote Originally Posted by Phil Russell View Post
    Maybe I need to learn how to cut threads on a lathe.

Cheers, Phil
    Once you get started and cut your first couple you will never look back. As Jon says, loads of youtube vids out there.

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Bongo View Post
    Once you get started and cut your first couple you will never look back. As Jon says, loads of youtube vids out there.
    You are quite correct. I spent some time fitting the correct gear wheels this afternoon ... they had never been used before and a couple were tight on the spindles but I did it. Getting the complete gear train in the right position to allow all gear wheels to mesh took a while due to limited access to the lock nuts but much fiddling later and it was done.
    Was set to do a 1mm pitch and I did a trial run on delrin ..... success. Really quite chuffed and I guess that if I want/need to cut a different thread then it won't take me as long to set up next time.
    So ... thanks to all for the encouragement. I should have done it years ago.

Maybe I will try internal threads next ....

Cheers, Phil