Thread: Covid Gamo and around in circles

Covid Gamo and around in circles

Here I sit with computer and endless brews waiting to drop to one line on the covid test, feeling terrible and looking at all sorts of lovely high-performance air rifles.
    Oh, the temptation to get something delivered........
    Then out comes the working gun....Gamo GX40 in 22.
    I have Chroned it, cleaned the barrel tried new pellets, found it likes Hades better than the JSD jumbos. One thing I don't like and wish I could change is that safety catch position. After a year of heavy nighttime use I still feel uncomfortable with it in the trigger guard,,,,,, I then go back to you tube and AAR etc etc getting an ever-increasing fictional budget.
    Here is the big but!!!!!!! My £300 Gamo hits everything I point it at, shoots six mags before it needs a fill and that matches my requirement for a coffee top-up.It has been heavily splashed with Slurry numerous times, hosed off sprayed with anti-bac, I have sanded off the molding sharp edges put tape on it drilled for IR weaver fittings, sling stubs, etc. It is stable off-hand or from support. Sometimes it even feels like my old SLR but how I wished I had the night vision kit then that I have now, (A whole other Post).
    In short, should I be tempted to splash out I think it will be on a .177 Gamo and will continue to moan about that stupid safety catch.

CannonFodder is offline Brown envelope round the back Squire...
    I have a Gamo Maxxim Elite with a synthetic stock, same safety catch arrangement, personally don't mind it.

But an autoloading break barrel rifle with scope for £229 (at the time) excellent value for money.

I did saw off the stupid looking muzzle brake though, just thought it looked wrong.

I hope your symptoms remain mild and your recovery swift, Leap.

My own limited experience of a Gamo rifle (springer) was very positive. And I believe the Gamo PCPs are made in Brum at BSA, so no surprise that it impresses.
    THE BOINGER BASH AT QUIGLEY HOLLOW. MAKING GREAT MEMORIES SINCE 15th JUNE, 2013.
    NEXT EVENT :- May 4/5, 2024.........BOING!!

Quote Originally Posted by TonyL View Post
    I hope your symptoms remain mild and your recovery swift, Leap.

My own limited experience of a Gamo rifle (springer) was very positive. And I believe the Gamo PCPs are made in Brum at BSA, so no surprise that it impresses.
    Thank you, Unfortunately, the symptoms are not nice, Thank god I got the jab!

I have been looking at BSA`s the feedback is very mixed with lots of negative experiences with reliability. I find it odd that the Gamo does so well.

Instead of buying another gun, I am considering fitting a regulator to even up the shot to shot on the GX40 has anyone got any comments?

My GX40 22 likes HW FTT 5.51s ....tighter than all JSB types

The shop where I got mine when I asked about. are just said 'don't' - I don't know if that wa s'person' opinion or 'professional insight'

I'd spend my money on some else rather than a reg having used it for a while and being perfectly satisfied (and knowing the risk of trying to make something ' over perfect' )
    Looking for TO-6 Trigger unit unmessed with or T0-6 kit for 34

It sounds like you and the gamo work really well together. Your only niggle is the safety.

A reg won't do anything for the safety. It will add complication and expense you don't appear to need. I would say keep enjoying it as it is.

Rich.
    WANTED: Next weeks winning lottery numbers :-)

PS Get well soon
    WANTED: Next weeks winning lottery numbers :-)

Hope you are feeling better.
    THE BOINGER BASH AT QUIGLEY HOLLOW. MAKING GREAT MEMORIES SINCE 15th JUNE, 2013.
    NEXT EVENT :- May 4/5, 2024.........BOING!!

Recovering Well

Thank you all for the good wishes .......

Well the time has not been wasted Pellet testing etc The outcome is given the price I am very impressed, the more I use it the happier I am with it. the barrel band has gone and the group size shrank immediately. Performance is easily as good as my other more expensive stuff which I would not take to the places the Gamo thrives. If the GX40 had a moto it would be "Dirty jobs done dead cheap! Still don't like that safety catch though...

I hope to be out Ratting this weekend.