Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Sweet shooting 77k ‘recipe‘?

Quote Originally Posted by T 20 View Post
    Just to put the LGV idea to bed, I realised I have both a HW77 and LGV Pistons in my spares box.

So for comparison I took a picture. :-

Attachment 320698

All the best Mick
    Thanks Nick

It is def not an lgu piston. ,)

Hi Rich

That does look to be machined from solid and not brazed so I'm tending to think it's a Vmach setup.

The only other firm I know of who produced such a setup in any quantity was Target Tune India but their seals and bearings were blue in colour.

Hopefully Mach1.5 should be able to identify if it's a Vmach or not.

Strangely Jim.

The thread where I remember a chap from Malta having an air leak from the end block also involved a buttoned cylinder, from memory he returned the cylinder to the maker for remedial work.

All the best Mick

I did post pics on here when I first pulled it apart, the consensus at the time was that it wasn’t Venom/V-Mach, but I don’t recall any suggestion about whose work it might be. The link to the kit certainly looks similar, though the guide is a one-piece affair in white Delrin.

The rifle has clearly had an eventful life and I expect whoever spent the money on the internal work and external bits isn’t the one who has marked up the barrel with a hammer trying to get the barrel catch unit off and daubing the stock with varnish, likewise clouting the trigger unit....

Quote Originally Posted by prosport.177 View Post
    Piston def looks like it is machined from solid or tube machined down.
    To to be honest any capable machinist could make the piston. .)
    Is the piston rod threaded into the piston nose?
    It looks as though it is threaded, no spline marks to be seen. I’ll find a collet to fit and see if it will unscrew with a bit of warmth.

Quote Originally Posted by lightning22 View Post
    It looks as though it is threaded, no spline marks to be seen. I’ll find a collet to fit and see if it will unscrew with a bit of warmth.
    Personally I would leave it be as rod will be set to the piston latch rod so it engages with the trigger sear , and the cocking slot alignment.
    Slip the piston nose off and you should be able to see if it is threaded in. ,)

Near Wimbledon, SW London, or Lusaka, Zambia
    have a looksee inside the comp tube, see if it looks like there's any distortion or breakout down around the area of the buttons... or use Mick's bubble bath test
    Always looking for any cheap, interesting, knackered "project" guns. Thanks, JB.

Personally I would leave it be as rod will be set to the piston latch rod so it engages with the trigger sear , and the cocking slot alignment.
    Slip the piston nose off and you should be able to see if it is threaded in. ,)
    Circumstances have conspired to agree with you, I’ve just run out of gas for my blowtorch....

Looks like the end of a thread on this..

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1QzB...w?usp=drivesdk

Quote Originally Posted by Shed tuner View Post
    have a looksee inside the comp tube, see if it looks like there's any distortion or breakout down around the area of the buttons... or use Mick's bubble bath test
    I’ll be taking the rifle to the bath when it all gets back from Paul.

From the image shown, is the rear bearing holder brazed onto the piston ?

It doesn't look like an LGV piston, but it does look very much like an early Venom altered one.

Another area where the compression tube can leak which hasn't been mentioned, is around the end plug which apparently is screwed into the tube.
    From memory the test for this is to push the piston into the comp tube with the transfer port blocked while the whole lot is submerged under water --- then look for bubbles coming from the joint.

All the best Mick
    Having looked closer with better lighting and specs, the rear bearing is indeed a separate item and is brazed very neatly onto the piston.

Having looked closer with better lighting and specs, the rear bearing is indeed a separate item and is brazed very neatly onto the piston.
    If this is the case and ring is brazed on I have a feeling the venom piston ran on 3 Delrin buttons and not a circumference bearing.
    V mach glided pistons had circular bearings and one piece pistons machined .
    With out the input from Steve pope it is really difficult to know.
    Mach 1.5 might know? Maybe the early lazaglided on the change over to v mach had the ring brazed on and Steve did away with the 3 buttons and did a circular bearing as it is quicker and easier.
    It is just Hard too know now ,(

My venom lazaglide 77 has an aluminium piston
    Plinkerer and Tinkerer

If this is the case and ring is brazed on I have a feeling the venom piston ran on 3 Delrin buttons and not a circumference bearing.
    V mach glided pistons had circular bearings and one piece pistons machined .
    With out the input from Steve pope it is really difficult to know.
    Mach 1.5 might know? Maybe the early lazaglided on the change over to v mach had the ring brazed on and Steve did away with the 3 buttons and did a circular bearing as it is quicker and easier.
    It is just Hard too know now ,(
    That's just what I was thinking, Charlie.

The other thing about changing from 3 Delrin buttons to a circular bearing is the saving in machining time.
    Once the piston is chucked up to square up the bearing carrier it would be simple to machine the Circular bearing groove as the piston is already set up.

All the best Mick

Piston

Sorry gents but I couldn't open the images. Airmasters used a phosphor Bronze ring on their tunes back in the 80s. Mach 1.5

Quote Originally Posted by Mach 1.5 View Post
    Sorry gents but I couldn't open the images. Airmasters used a phosphor Bronze ring on their tunes back in the 80s. Mach 1.5
    It’s a delrin ring at both ends of the piston and the rear of the compression tube, there are three buttons at the breech end of the comp tube.

Venom did indeed braze on the rear carrier for the bearing on the piston, I believe what you have piston and com tube wise is a Venom Laza glide. Sort yourself a Vmach spring n guides from Venoman Lyn Lewington and you'll have a nice set up as Steve Pope and the Venom team intended it to be A rifle that you know has been shot when you pull trigger but all in a very controlled and refined shot cycle.
    Hw77+7

Quote Originally Posted by HW55T View Post
    Venom did indeed braze on the rear carrier for the bearing on the piston, I believe what you have piston and com tube wise is a Venom Laza glide. Sort yourself a Vmach spring n guides from Venoman Lyn Lewington and you'll have a nice set up as Steve Pope and the Venom team intended it to be A rifle that you know has been shot when you pull trigger but all in a very controlled and refined shot cycle.
    Thank you, I’ve dropped Lyn an email as his inbox is full to capacity.