Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hw 25mm seals - which is current best???

Hsing-ee is offline may also be employed in conjunction with a drawn reciprocation dingle arm, to reduce sinusoidal repleneration

Hw 25mm seals - which is current best???

There are an abundance, indeed a plethora of seals on the international market.

Which to choose?

The last time I checked by seaching the BBS it seemed to be the LGV in favour, followed by the HW one now made for the HW30, then Vorteks, V-Mach etc...

What about the Maccari and the Australian seals?

Opinions please.

I think you should use an o ring and follow the trend that if the gun is supplied with a parachute seal, fit an o ring and if the gun is supplied stock with an o ring fit a parachute seal. Anything else is just too simple to be any fun!
    Plinkerer and Tinkerer

Hee, hee, hee! Very funny, Max

However, how about going really retro and fitting a nice leather seal?

In reply to the original question, I've only ever tried the standard HW and V-Mach items and always been very pleased.
    THE BOINGER BASH AT QUIGLEY HOLLOW. MAKING GREAT MEMORIES SINCE 15th JUNE, 2013.
    NEXT EVENT :- May 4/5, 2024.........BOING!!

Quote Originally Posted by Hsing-ee View Post
    There are an abundance, indeed a plethora of seals on the international market.

Which to choose?

The last time I checked by seaching the BBS it seemed to be the LGV in favour, followed by the HW one now made for the HW30, then Vorteks, V-Mach etc...

What about the Maccari and the Australian seals?

Opinions please.
    Maccaris 25mm seals are good, but just be aware that they often need more sizing that other seals. Which really is a positive thing, as it means they can be fit to guns with oversize tubes. I dont shoot the 25mm guns (hw30) very much, but I'm using Maccaris 26mm SGS seals in several HWs, and they seem to stand up to a lot of use without any problems.

I have mixed experience with the Australian seals, those made with green urethane seem to not be as resilient as they should be, and damages more easily than other seals on installation.
    Too many airguns!

Paul Short's Daughter is selling Seals on E-bay. They are blue.

There is another UK based company doing testing on their own seals at present. Not sure when they will be on sale though.

Hsing-ee is offline may also be employed in conjunction with a drawn reciprocation dingle arm, to reduce sinusoidal repleneration
    Quote Originally Posted by maximus View Post
    I think you should use an o ring and follow the trend that if the gun is supplied with a parachute seal, fit an o ring and if the gun is supplied stock with an o ring fit a parachute seal. Anything else is just too simple to be any fun!
    'O' rings - no thanks! The idea that they roll on their cross sectional axis as they travel down the cylinder gives me the creeps, and if they don't do that they there seems to be a lot of lost volume in front of them, AND friction. I know people like them but .... ick.

If it matters ... I have only ever used genuine HW 25mm seals in my 1984(?) 77K and never had any problems. I think I am on seal no. 3 or 4 now. But to be fair, I have never used another make.

Having read the article by our Jim a few years ago, I once tried to make my own from some urethane rod but results were not terribly good and I could not get above 10ftlb with JSB Exact .177 so I gave up. It was most likely my fault for having terrible engineering skills as forming the 'lip' was an issue.
    Cheers, Phil

Near Wimbledon, SW London, or Lusaka, Zambia
    What gun and what are you trying to acheive ?
    Always looking for any cheap, interesting, knackered "project" guns. Thanks, JB.

Quote Originally Posted by Shed tuner View Post
    What gun and what are you trying to acheive ?
    HW77K 25mm ... I want to use a soft spring and get a relaxed shooting cycle, with about 11 fpe coming out of the spout.

I've got the 3.5 hand reamer, I'll have to go through my box of springs to find something suitable.

I'd go with the LGV or the HW seals.. both are quite soft.
    3.5mm = perfect. See if you can reduce the piston weight a little too... no steel top hats.
    Always looking for any cheap, interesting, knackered "project" guns. Thanks, JB.

3.5mm = perfect. See if you can reduce the piston weight a little too... no steel top hats.
    Great, thanks Jon.

A lot of lost volume in the Lgv seal, he won't like that, oh and friction ��

Quote Originally Posted by NickG View Post
    agree on the LGV seal, but I think that helps it shoot softer. And with a 6x3.5mm 77 port, a bit of lost volume isn't really an issue

Anyways, when was the last time you didn't just use an o-ring ?

Quote Originally Posted by NickG View Post
    Yes Jon.

You've just reminded me why my spare LGV piston still has a brand new seal on it. :-

image.jpg

It's because they're crap.

All the best Mick

Quote Originally Posted by T 20 View Post

My spare LGV piston still has a brand new seal on it. :-

image.jpg

It's because they're crap.

All the best Mick
    Blinking hell uncle Mick, now you tell me I'm sort of sure at one stage you rated them though

A bit of a task trying to find the thread but one will endure

All the best

John
    Hw77+7