Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Taming a HW99.......

Quote Originally Posted by look no hands View Post
    I remember talking to Tony at SFS many years ago and he said he'd never touch a 99,he soon changed his mind.

Pete
    Money talks. And you can't deny the popularity of the 99.

I believe Tony was instrumental in Weihrauch adopting the delrin strip in the cocking linkage of the 99, to "cure the galling". After that claim, he could hardly refuse to tune the 99.
    Shame the cure didn't work and only moved the problem to the cocking slot.
    B.A.S.C. member

Got 3 99's. Vglided 99, 99 with VMach tuning kit and my favourite of them all is the vitesse 99. All in .22 cal, wouldn't entertain one in .177 cal. Mach 1.5

Now I'm even more determined to get it running sweetly..

I was torn between a 95 and a 99 prior to purchase, and honestly went for the 99 as it was local, a good price, and came with a decent scope! I'm convinced it is a quality rifle with some flaws to iron out, and not a lemon.. time will tell
    TX200 .177 21mm TL | TX200HC .22 22mm TL | Prosport .22 22mm TL
    HW40 | HW45 | Diana Mod5 | Webley Senior....... Because PCP is like kissing your sister (apparently)

eyebull is offline Even a stopped clock is right twice a day
    Quote Originally Posted by clipper View Post

I was torn between a 95 and a 99 prior to purchase, and honestly went for the 99 as it was local, a good price, and came with a decent scope! I'm convinced it is a quality rifle with some flaws to iron out, and not a lemon.. time will tell
    Stick with it - The 95 is not really any different in that respect! All HWs seem to need some tinkering from new, the only question is how much.
    A couple of weeks ago I was rueing the day I bought a 95k instead of a 99, all sorted now but swings and roundabouts!
    Good deals with these members

Quote Originally Posted by eyebull View Post
    Stick with it - The 95 is not really any different in that respect! All HWs seem to need some tinkering from new, the only question is how much.
    A couple of weeks ago I was rueing the day I bought a 95k instead of a 99, all sorted now but swings and roundabouts!
    The 99 is far easier to tune, due to its near optimal powerplant. It's only failing, is its ability to gall.

The 95 has considerably larger swept volume / stroke, and as such is a little harder to tune, as you're fighting its bigger power potential, though it doesn't eat itself.
    B.A.S.C. member

Quote Originally Posted by look no hands View Post
    I remember talking to Tony at SFS many years ago and he said he'd never touch a 99,he soon changed his mind.

Pete
    Yep, he said the same to me as well during a phone call.
    LOOKING FOR A BSA ULTRA IN .177 and .25

Quote Originally Posted by Mach 1.5 View Post
    All in .22 cal, wouldn't entertain one in .177 cal. Mach 1.5
    ^^^^
    This, plus all my Weihrauchs are in .22. So much nicer to shoot imo.
    LOOKING FOR A BSA ULTRA IN .177 and .25

As said earlier in the thread make sure the back scope mount has the small pin underneath that goes into one of the holes on the rear of the action if that’s in and the scope mount is tight then should be no problem

Quote Originally Posted by robs5230 View Post
    The 99 is far easier to tune, due to its near optimal powerplant. It's only failing, is its ability to gall.

The 95 has considerably larger swept volume / stroke, and as such is a little harder to tune, as you're fighting its bigger power potential, though it doesn't eat itself.
    Absolutely.
    THE BOINGER BASH AT QUIGLEY HOLLOW. MAKING GREAT MEMORIES SINCE 15th JUNE, 2013.
    NEXT EVENT :- August 3/4, 2024.........BOING!!

Quote Originally Posted by clipper View Post

Stick with it. 99s rock and you will get there.
    THE BOINGER BASH AT QUIGLEY HOLLOW. MAKING GREAT MEMORIES SINCE 15th JUNE, 2013.

Quote Originally Posted by Mach 1.5 View Post
    Got 3 99's. Vglided 99, 99 with VMach tuning kit and my favourite of them all is the vitesse 99. All in .22 cal, wouldn't entertain one in .177 cal. Mach 1.5
    Quote Originally Posted by Trumpetier View Post
    ^^^^
    This, plus all my Weihrauchs are in .22. So much nicer to shoot imo.
    Just about any springer will shoot more sweetly in .22 due to the greater efficiency. But I LIKE the 99 in .177. As said earlier, settle for slightly less muzzle energy in the smaller calibre and it will shoot very sweetly and accurately with a very forgiving cycle. I have recommended 99s to a good few friends and family members and they're all more than satisfied with them.