Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: What is your most successful hunting rig ?

Born Again is offline Owns three Roy orbison albums
    Quote Originally Posted by MrGreengrass View Post
    My benchrest and FT guns dont go hunting.
    My hunting guns dont go to the range.
    Very sensible. I bought my CZ452 with the intention of using it both in the field and at paper, hence the heavy barrel. I have regretted it whilst carrying it many, many times. I should have bought two rifles.

Rapid7. 22 has been the best for me

Between my Fastfire10 and HW100. Having said that the BSA Ultra is not far behind and the Wildcat is catching up. I do like cycling them to make it more interesting and challenging. Also, have a quite a few good returns of my springers too. Never understood the saying “beware of the man with one gun”?

Hw100 .177 countless numbers of all game. It’s one gun that I’ve always returned to. I have probably had 20 of them over the years.
    A Wise Man Can Act A Fool, A Fool Can Not Act Wise

Quote Originally Posted by Dragonboy View Post
    Between my Fastfire10 and HW100. Having said that the BSA Ultra is not far behind and the Wildcat is catching up. I do like cycling them to make it more interesting and challenging. Also, have a quite a few good returns of my springers too. Never understood the saying “beware of the man with one gun”?
    Me neither, unless it's somebody fairly new to shooting I haven't met anyone with one gun.
    Martin

Quote Originally Posted by Born Again View Post
    The best hunting I've done was with my Phoenix Mk2 0.177 full length, a joy to use, but for sheer numbers it's my CZ452 in .22LR.
    I have a full length . 177 cal pax phoenix. Engineering is top quality.

HW100 full length in 20 with Bushnell Elite 2.5-16 x 42!

Born Again is offline Owns three Roy orbison albums
    Quote Originally Posted by WILBA View Post
    I have a full length . 177 cal pax phoenix. Engineering is top quality.
    Yes, a great rifle and amazingly accurate despite the mediocre trigger. Mine loves JSB heavies best, but shoots even normal JSB better than any other pcp I've had.

I don't hunt a lot. However, I use an Annie 1710 .22 LR when I do it. I've also attached an amazing red dit scope from https://ballachy.com/best-red-dot-sc...urkey-shotgun/. It might not be the best on the market, but it is excellent for turkey shotgun, and these are the only birds I hunt. My father told me that the fewer species there are, the less it should be hunted. And I do it to spend time with my family. Everybody eats turkey, so I call it a benefit for the population. I guess for something more serious, I'll need a stronger gun.

HW30s in .22 with Nikon 3-9x32 and red LED torch for the rats

Hw100 T in.177 with Hawke endurance for everything else.

Overall it's probably the .17-WSM Savage B-mag,
    or Rapid mk2 .25 FAC if air rifles only.

Successful rig

For me it’s my AA S410 liked it from day one,making it very much a ‘working gun’.
    Sold the near perfect stock and put on an old one which I camo painted.
    It’s has been knocked and dented over the years and touched up here and there but still
    a sterling service regardless of conditions.
    The other is my Voere bolt action .22lr.Cost less than £100,Austrian made and bomb proof.
    Again a repainted stock so no worries about scratching precious varnish,nothing fancy.
    Just does what it is asked of it.
    Diana 52 .22 short stroked
    AA S410.177+Hawke Vantage
    Think outside...no box required

Whats mine

Quote Originally Posted by Rativity View Post
    I always thought a rifle that you don’t care about makes the best hunting rifle, I have a few top end rifles here, I always seem to grab my H5. I care about it very much, I’d cry it I dropped it!!

I recently bought a bsa ultra from offa here, sitting in a tactical stock (less to worry about) I don’t care about it tbh, I think it would make an excellent all weather hunting rig with pulsar digex sitting ontop, I’ve not used it apart from a few mags into paper…. I have thought about having it tuned, to shoot smoother and quieter but then I think I’d care more about it!

I need to maybe break away from the steyr which I love very much, too much to scratch it out in the field, that said it is my most successful hunting rig, it’s a sublime piece of equipment, always slick and reliable!

What’s yours ?
    Get the Ultra sorted. Mine has an extended air tube with fitted reg and a carbon fibre barrel sleeve forming a moderator at the muzzle. Is it quiet, of course it is, is it accurate, yes and more accurate than me. Does it run out of air, only after about 110 shots. They don't need tuning, just a fine set up of the trigger makes them smooth and accurate.

It was my ..177 Rapid, but....
    For the last 4yrs, it has been a Hatsan AT44 10 in .22..
    Raggedy looking thing, cammo taped up.
    Pard 008 on an Eaglevision mount, Boblov rangefinder
    and an A&M mod...as accurate as any of my old .22 Rapids , but it is one with the factory fitted Walther barrel.
    Dedicated night gun, dont seem to shoot in the light much these days.
    It has been a very successful outfit
    Out with it tonight again on the rats and the first time out with the thermal Hikvision.
    Last edited by MrGreengrass; 06-03-2022 at 02:13 PM.
    "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote!" -- Benjamin Franklin

Was only for a few months about 15 years ago at the ex-wife's family farm - HW90K .22 with a Dampa mount and a Bushnell 5-15. Was extremely efficient.