Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Max range

Max range

I've recently purchased a .22 air rifle to test out my hunting skills after using .177 for a few years.i intend to zero at 27 or 28 yards and in perfect conditions will only be taking quarry ie rabbits to a max distance of 30-35 yards in daylight hours and 20-25 yards at night.what are your max distances using sub 12ftlb .22?

Think im right in saying you only need 4ftlb of energy to kill a rabbit. 60 yards should be doable powerwise.
    40 yards/35 meters is enough for me in the day.

Basically do whatever your comfortably accurate at, some do more, some do less.
    Super soaker 3000 (water), nerf fang (foam), noisy cricket (energy), m41a pulse rifle (10x24), Gat gun (.177)

Quote Originally Posted by knightrider View Post
    I've recently purchased a .22 air rifle to test out my hunting skills after using .177 for a few years.i intend to zero at 27 or 28 yards and in perfect conditions will only be taking quarry ie rabbits to a max distance of 30-35 yards in daylight hours and 20-25 yards at night.what are your max distances using sub 12ftlb .22?
    I don't hunt now but when I did it was with a .22 LR90 or rapid7
    The ranges you're working with are about the same as mine, anything beyond 35yds was a bit too far for me to be sure in my own mind.
    I always struggled to estimate the ranges quickly enough especially in the dark.
    The modern NV gear takes the guess work out of it,
    I don't need one of those do I? Maybe I do

Martin

Quote Originally Posted by knightrider View Post
    In perfect windless conditions 60yds, in average conditions 50yds wind is the deciding factor some days 40 yds is too far. Top tip get a spinner on a steel stake when you first arrive put it in the area that you are going to shoot and have a few shots to check out the wind conditions. You now know how far to hold off for the wind.
    mk2 rapid.22

Born Again is offline Owns three Roy orbison albums
    Quote Originally Posted by keithy View Post
    In perfect windless conditions 60yds, in average conditions 50yds wind is the deciding factor some days 40 yds is too far. Top tip get a spinner on a steel stake when you first arrive put it in the area that you are going to shoot and have a few shots to check out the wind conditions. You now know how far to hold off for the wind.
    That's a fair bit further than I can manage with a .22 at 12fpe. I think most people aren't sufficiently capable at that range, from what I've seen.

.22 and .177 will kill cleanly, out to ranges beyond which you'd shoot.
    The only difference is the added complication of extra holdover with .22.

Just shoot at distances, at which you are confident you can consitently hit the kill zone at, whatever the calibre.

That may be 25 yards for one shooter and 45 for another.
    B.A.S.C. member

My HW95L .22 hunting range

I have a max range of 30 yards for squirrels & rabbits with my HW95L .22 at 16.69 FPE. I shoot targets at range out to 50 yards but I use a table & bags for that. Been shooting for about 70 years and longest shot on a deer was close to 140 yards. Just really not interested in long range hunting. Stay safe and good luck to all.

I've always thought of 30 yards in 22 and 35 in 177 as sensible max ranges, maybe extended 5 yards on 'zen days' and perfect shooting conditions.
    As well as shooter it's the limitations of a diablo projectile

I don't think this is extended that much by fac air (however fac air permits vital organ shots on squirrels / crows etc, not rabbits in my opinion) However, if you want to shoot vermin further away then that is a perfectly good reason to get a powder burner .....
    Looking for TO-6 Trigger unit unmessed with or T0-6 kit for 34

A creature of habit I've always zeroed at the following distances.
    25 yards .22
    35 yards .177.

I seem to also remember if you zero a .177 at 15 yards due to the trajectory it will also be zeroed at 35 yards to - useful if your limited on space or the wind is up
    Weihrauch HW97 .177, Weihrauch HW80 .22, Weihrauch HW77 .22

Quote Originally Posted by para View Post
    25 yards .22
    35 yards .177.

I seem to also remember if you zero a .177 at 15 yards due to the trajectory it will also be zeroed at 35 yards to - useful if your limited on space or the wind is up
    Generic zero distances can give very different results between rifles, when factors like scope height, muzzle velocity and pellet weights are not the same from one rifle to another.

Picking a correct zero distance for a particular setup, is far better in terms of managing trajectory and aim points
    B.A.S.C. member

When you're hunting each shot is unique, if you're comfortable & the rifle supported you can shoot a lot further than if you're twisting/stretching to avoid an obstruction.
    Each shot must be assessed on merit not just the range.

I've seen a video of one of the airgun writers, shooting rabbits at 80 yards sub 12. It was on one of the Scottish Islands. Atb mick

Quote Originally Posted by mdunn View Post
    I've seen a video of one of the airgun writers, shooting rabbits at 80 yards sub 12. It was on one of the Scottish Islands. Atb mick
    Was it a BSA ? I vaguely remember a similar video, possibly the same one.
    LOOKING FOR A BSA ULTRA IN .177 and .25

Quote Originally Posted by mdunn View Post
    I think he was using .177

Quote Originally Posted by para View Post
    25 yards .22
    35 yards .177.

Chairgun chart showing near & far zero. https://www.hawkeoptics.com/chairgun...d-of-life.html

Last edited by Travis299; 29-01-2022 at 03:59 PM.