Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Max range

Quote Originally Posted by keithy View Post
    In perfect windless conditions 60yds, in average conditions 50yds wind is the deciding factor some days 40 yds is too far. Top tip get a spinner on a steel stake when you first arrive put it in the area that you are going to shoot and have a few shots to check out the wind conditions. You now know how far to hold off for the wind.
    You must be an amazing shot doing 60 yards into a 10p sized kill zone in varying wind vectors. The top FT and HFT shots couldn't do that. You should enter comps, you would clean up

Yes it was a bsa scorpion. 177, it was on skye.james Marchington just shows what a sub 12 can do.Atb mick

Quote Originally Posted by mdunn View Post
    Yes it was a bsa scorpion. 177, it was on skye.james Marchington just shows what a sub 12 can do.Atb mick
    Yes that's the one.
    LOOKING FOR A BSA ULTRA IN .177 and .25

Quote Originally Posted by Travis299 View Post
    Chairgun chart showing near & far zero. https://www.hawkeoptics.com/chairgun...d-of-life.html

That is actually what I call a perfect example of getting it wrong

The apex of the trajectory at 20yds should be just brushing the top of the shaded area at +1/2", not sitting on the line of sight 0-line.

The rifle zero needs to be extended from 25yds out to probably 28yds ish to make the most of the PBR.

Last edited by angrybear; 30-01-2022 at 12:55 PM.

eyebull is offline Even a stopped clock is right twice a day
    Quote Originally Posted by angrybear View Post

The apex of the trajectory at 20yds should be just brushing the top of the shaded area at +1/2", not sitting on the line of sight 0-line.
    The rifle zero needs to be extended from 25yds out to probably 28yds ish to make the most of the PBR.

Would agree, normally have primary zero between 10 and 15 yds depending on calibre and scope height. Well worth playing with zero ranges on CG until you get the longest possible PBR, even if that means zeroing at something weird like 13.5 yds.
    Good deals with these members

Quote Originally Posted by angrybear View Post

Excuse my basic question. Does your graph mean that everything from approx 7 yds to 32 yds would be within the kill zone of 1 inch, and no holdover or holdunder required if aiming at the center of the target?

Near Wimbledon, SW London, or Lusaka, Zambia
    Quote Originally Posted by PCPShooter View Post
    I've always thought of 30 yards in 22 and 35 in 177 as sensible max ranges, maybe extended 5 yards on 'zen days' and perfect shooting conditions.
    As well as shooter it's the limitations of a diablo projectile
    Yup - in field condition, I'd say this is bang on.

Back when I did a lot of HFT shooting, I saw how many struggled with 45 and even 40 yarders - and this is with ages to rangefind, get comfy, lay down prone, support the rile, check the wind, basically every possible assistance imaginable... and all that with a huge 45mm kill zone that was very unlikely to hop off ! Now take that down to a 25mm kill that is very seldom still and 35 yards would be way too much for most...

And as far as zero range, exactly as AB says....
    Always looking for any cheap, interesting, knackered "project" guns. Thanks, JB.

Near Wimbledon, SW London, or Lusaka, Zambia
    Quote Originally Posted by Tea Kettle View Post
    Excuse my basic question. Does your graph mean that everything from approx 7 yds to 32 yds would be within the kill zone of 1 inch, and no holdover or holdunder required if aiming at the center of the target?
    Basically yes, in as much as you will be within 1/2" of zero, and therefore inside your KZ, within that whole range
    Always looking for any cheap, interesting, knackered "project" guns. Thanks, JB.

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by Shed tuner View Post
    Basically yes, in as much as you will be within 1/2" of zero, and therefore inside your KZ, within that whole range
    OK, Thanks Shed tuner.

When I first saw the graph from Travis299 it seemed to make sense to me. I don't really hunt so it took me a while to realize that, from the comments that followed and a hunting point of view(distance shooting at a larger target included), there's a lot of wasted shaded/target space on either side of the trajectory line. I typically shoot targets in the backyard, so the tighter the trajectory line is to the line of sight, intuitively, looked like the better option, as the bull on my targets appears to be about the size of a pellet at the 20 yds I mostly have available. So a 1/6th inch up or down is a good day vs a GREAT day on the mini range.